Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia Masses Military Equipment Near Ukraine Borders: A Prologue to WWIII?

Grim Reaper 6

13 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Ukraine will not take back Crimea by force and Russia would probably go nuclear over it. Trump wouldn't impose anything, he would only accept the status quo.

Actually it is quite easy to take Crimea for Ukraine. Crimea is poor in terms of arable land and has very little fresh water.  Yep, "Crimea river".  All Ukraine needs to do is isolate the peninsula and it will surrender due to lack of food and water.  And of course we know that Russian logistics are "top notch", and will definitely "rise to the occasion".  Once Ukraine has occupied all of Kherson Oblast, Crimea's days are numbered.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Actually it is quite easy to take Crimea for Ukraine. Crimea is poor in terms of arable land and has very little fresh water.  Yep, "Crimea river".  All Ukraine needs to do is isolate the peninsula and it will surrender due to lack of food and water.  And of course we know that Russian logistics are "top notch", and will definitely "rise to the occasion".  Once Ukraine has occupied all of Kherson Oblast, Crimea's days are numbered.

Maybe not. There was a commentator on BBC News this morning saying the West may try to stop Ukraine taking Crimea. It might unacceptable to Russia and prevent any negotiated end to the war. My personal view is that if they get Russia on the back foot militarily they should keep going- Russia will only take another pop at them if they are given any breathing space.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Maybe not. There was a commentator on BBC News this morning saying the West may try to stop Ukraine taking Crimea. It might unacceptable to Russia and prevent any negotiated end to the war. My personal view is that if they get Russia on the back foot militarily they should keep going- Russia will only take another pop at them if they are given any breathing space.

Definitely agree this is headed for a negotiated settlement. 

14 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Don't think, Cookie. You know you head hurts after you try thinking. 

Kidding. 

I love it when you think, so think just a little harder and tell me, what NATO would Trump deploy if his attempt to dismantle it was successful? 

NATO is obsolete said Trump. His groupies may pretend they forgot that their Trump outed them so blatantly, but no one who knows why NATO is important will ever forget that. Or forgive. Or treat it as a minor slip of an idiot tongue. 

No one told Trump America doesn't own or fully controls Nato, loved to see his face when he was told about this, or he's just betting on the regular Trumper's supporters information bubble.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Occult1 said:

Any thoughts on the purge currently going on inside the Ukrainian government? There are waves of mass resignations even at the top level.

Ukr is cleaning house, good for them, they should have done it sooner.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe so, that sure could be.  Putin did ride out any outrage over Crimea, that might have given him the feeling that he could move without the West's intervention.  Did he miss the best opportunity?  I would agree he might have fared better if he had been ready sooner.  I don't know what was going on in Russia during that time.  But covid did happen, and the world turns and opportunities change. Did anybody predict covid? Were Russia's supply chains also throttled by covid?

Putin could have been planning for a Spring offensive assuming Trump would be be reelected in November.   Snow and cold weather over, mud dries out, good time for an invasion. How does he weigh his chances against Sleepy Joe?  Maybe he thinks he can easily outmaneuver Biden. He still has help from Trump stirring up chaos and division in the US.  Jan. 6 must have brought some chuckles from the Kremlin.  

I am not saying Trump was consciously assisting Putin, no indeed. Trump was acting in his own self interest.  Putin could just make good use of it. No matter who is president, the weaker and more divided the US is, the better for Putin.

But of course, I could be completely wrong.  I doubt Putin will ever write a memoir about it.

Putin invaded because he wanted to teach Zelensky a lesson for trying to change the Minsk Agreement.  Zelensky thought the MA gave Russia too much interference into Ukranian Political Affairs in the Eastern Regions.  Zelensky had already shown his resolve to totally rid Russian influence from Ukraine when he disbanded several pro Russian Media channels and seeked lethal weapon assistance from Trump at the time, but as we know, Trump wanted a quid pro quo favor in return, information on Hunter Biden's dealings in Ukraine.  Zelensky also targeted prominent Ukrainian pro Russian oligarchs, one of which was a close friend of Putin (can't remember his name).  He also changed several pro Kremlin military commanders.  Zelensky has survived over a dozen assassination attempts since the invasion, all thwarted by his Security.  Which also means he would have been suspicious of Putin, knowing his track record, once he took action against pro Russian Govt entities within Ukraine even before the war.  Maybe this is the reason Putin needed to invade to get closer to and eliminate him.

From Putin's perspective he saw Ukraine go from a pro Kremlin Ukranian Govt, to Poroshenko who was against Putin after the invasion of Crimea but agreed to the MA, to Zelensky who wanted/wants to rid Ukraine from all Russian interference.  In his state of mind he probably saw Ukraine getting intentionally closer to NATO, especially after the nomination of Biden as US President.  In 2014, Biden, as Vice President of Obama, wanted the US to send Poroshenko Javelin's, Stingers and other equipment to fight against Russian Separatists in the Donbass, assisted by Putin. Obama wasn't too keen on the idea and the aid sent was fairly limited although he did provide US tactical training and some equipment.

Just a note about Trump.  Under his Administration the DOD did increase aid to Ukraine ($250 mil in equipment and training) and NATO personnel around Poland.  Somehow that doesn't seem to fit in with Trump's views on how to MAGA (?!). It was never enough to deter Putin though who probably thought Biden, despite his strong stance when VP, would follow in President Obama footsteps in 2014 and limit aid assistance therefore avoiding to drag the US in a major conflict with Russia.  What happened in Afghanistan probably convinced him even more.  Putin probably also miscalculated Ukranian resilience and commitment to their "comedian" leader.

Poor ol' Vlad.  Murphy's Law, everything that could go wrong went wrong and now he's up to his neck in it and getting worse with no way out. :yes:

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 4

Recently was reading some comments about Putin wanting to join NATO during several meetings with the then Secretary General of NATO, George Robertson!!

In September 2022, during the 7th month of the Ukraine War, interviewed by Channel 4 about his nine meetings with Vladimir Putin, Robertson said, "At the first meeting (in Moscow, Oct 2001) Vladimir Putin clearly said, 'I WANT RUSSIA TO BE PART OF WESTERN EUROPE...at the 2nd meeting (in Brussels) he said..'WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO INVITE RUSSIA TO JOIN NATO?'...I started to sort of reach out and engage them in so many activities that they basically couldn't fight with us.. but after I left NATO (in Dec 2003), the American administration, the Bush administration (during their own illegal war on Iraq opposed by Putin), lost any interest basically in doing business with Russia, they saw it as a threat..they didn't really want to make it part of the overall partnership. I think we missed an opportunity at that time because I think it's what he (Putin) wanted, and we could have grabbed hold of him!"

Not doubting his revelation but I find it hard to believe.  Maybe Putin was plotting something even back then.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

It was simply a commentator. They have been saying similar things all along—there will be some kind of negotiation, etc.

It doesn’t sound like NATO is pushing them for negotiations if they are giving them modern weapons that are violating Russia’s ever-shifting red lines…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

The West won't waste time on something that is absolutely unacceptable for Ukraine. 

It's various pro-russians who still hope they can somehow obstruct Ukrainian defence and give russia at least some sort of consolation prize. They're irrational. 

Because Ukraine made it extremely clear that Crimea is Ukraine.

It can only be worked with that fact, not around it. 

Those who want to give gifts to poopler will have to give him parts of their own countries. Crimea can and will be cut off, then liberated, which is something all those fleeing russians know too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Your samovar is making strange sounds. Almost as if it's about to explode. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, godnodog said:

No one told Trump America doesn't own or fully controls Nato, loved to see his face when he was told about this, or he's just betting on the regular Trumper's supporters information bubble.

He was refusing to believe that NATO isn't an extortionist tool of America applied against other NATO countries. 

Because he has no concept of history, politics or anything else, it was possible for russians to tell him their otherwise too stupid for international use narrative and have him parrot it in public, without shame, because he simply doesn't understand what's so stupid in russian narrative and why a literate person wouldn't just believe it. 

We're lucky they're so ****ing stupid. I should put that in my signature too. But it's already crowded in there and I don't want to drop any lines. 

• Like 2

The pro-Russian group behind Killnet has updated its alleged attack lists for hospitals and medical organisations in several countries, including the UK. Up to 38 UK hospital websites, including that of the NHS, were added to the list. Medical facilities in Spain, Portugal and Norway, among other countries, also appeared on the new list of targets.!

UK locations pinned on pro-Russian group's horror 'attack list' after support for Ukraine | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, godnodog said:

Ukr is cleaning house, good for them, they should have done it sooner.

In short: Yes. 

A bit longer: 

It was extremely hard to penetrate the network of mostly pro-russian corrupt officials, being accumulated in the structures for decades. 

The war brought that silver lining, making it possible for Zelensky and his team (who won the elections on solemn promise of fight against corruption) to finally get Ukraine rid of pro-russian corrupt network. It's still ongoing, of course, but it is happening and it is essential for Ukrainian successful defence and healing the country once the war is won.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Recently was reading some comments about Putin wanting to join NATO during several meetings with the then Secretary General of NATO, George Robertson!!

In September 2022, during the 7th month of the Ukraine War, interviewed by Channel 4 about his nine meetings with Vladimir Putin, Robertson said, "At the first meeting (in Moscow, Oct 2001) Vladimir Putin clearly said, 'I WANT RUSSIA TO BE PART OF WESTERN EUROPE...at the 2nd meeting (in Brussels) he said..'WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO INVITE RUSSIA TO JOIN NATO?'...I started to sort of reach out and engage them in so many activities that they basically couldn't fight with us.. but after I left NATO (in Dec 2003), the American administration, the Bush administration (during their own illegal war on Iraq opposed by Putin), lost any interest basically in doing business with Russia, they saw it as a threat..they didn't really want to make it part of the overall partnership. I think we missed an opportunity at that time because I think it's what he (Putin) wanted, and we could have grabbed hold of him!"

Not doubting his revelation but I find it hard to believe.  Maybe Putin was plotting something even back then.    

russian intentions were to signal willingness to join Western alliances so russia has direct access to Western intelligence, decision-making and in short, to sabotage them from inside. 

What various Orbans are trying to do, that would russia do but with much stronger leverages.  

You know the doves/hawks/owls theory... poopler is a rodent. Always gnawing his way through history, leaving very distinct turds behind. Both hawks and owls gladly dine on rodents. I normally like doves, but they should **** off for a while. It's complicated enough without their deliberate stupidity. Yes, yes, rant over.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Cookie Monster- if someone with a Slavic accent rings you and asks for your house number- don't tell them!

UK locations pinned on pro-Russian group's horror 'attack list' after support for Ukraine | UK | News | Express.co.uk

russia is a terrorist state. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

In short: Yes. 

A bit longer: 

It was extremely hard to penetrate the network of mostly pro-russian corrupt officials, being accumulated in the structures for decades. 

The war brought that silver lining, making it possible for Zelensky and his team (who won the elections on solemn promise of fight against corruption) to finally get Ukraine rid of pro-russian corrupt network. It's still ongoing, of course, but it is happening and it is essential for Ukrainian successful defence and healing the country once the war is won.  

Tackling corruption is necessary for EU acceptance. Contrary to popular belief in the UK, the EU sets great store by democracy.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, pellinore said:

Tackling corruption is necessary for EU acceptance. Contrary to popular belief in the UK, the EU sets great store by democracy.

EU is doing wonders for my country's fight against corruption. Seriously. It even exceeded my hopes. I'm very, very happy with that. 

I'm also very happy for Czechs who just elected their new president :clap:and sent their version of Trump to the garbage dump of history. 

• Like 1

In other words, russian aggression, savagery and propaganda have the effects the opposite of desired. 

Eastern EUrope can see right through russian bull****. **** off, russia, no one likes you. And take your *****s with you. 

Speaking of russian *****s, russian citizen Edward Snowden still hasn't volunteered for military service. What is he waiting for? Summons? :lol:  

russian zombies tell each other their orcs have destroyed the first Abrams, near Bakhmut. 

Just because Abrams tanks haven't arrived yet to Ukraine is not an obstacle for russian bizarrely stupid propaganda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Russia's major offensive planned by one-year anniversary of invasion, top security official warns

''Russia is planning a major offensive against Kyiv by the one-year anniversary of its invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24, Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleksiy Danilov told Radio Free Europe Friday. 

"Now they are preparing for maximum activation, taking into account the fact that these are people from the ‘scoop’, and they believe that by the anniversary they should have some achievements. It is no secret that they are preparing for a new wave by February 24," Danilov said.

Ukraine and Western defense officials have repeatedly warned that Russia is planning a wave offensive in an attempt to turn the tide in the war. ''

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russias-major-offensive-planned-one-year-anniversary-invasion-top-security-official-warns

I'd post you a video that explains what is air bursty boi and how thoroughly it won, but it would be against the rules :lol: 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked