Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia Masses Military Equipment Near Ukraine Borders: A Prologue to WWIII?

Grim Reaper 6

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Russia have had 500,000 (not 300,000) troops in Belarus training for the last 3 months.

They are equipped, and deployment will start soon. I dont agree they are going to be surged into the Donbass, they are going to take Kiev to end the war.

500k troops costs quite a bit of money to support, long-term, so I do believe that Putin is counting on overwhelming Ukraine quickly on a few different fronts (Kyiv included) to try and end the war.

That said, it is highly unlikely that a NATO/US-backed Ukraine will fall to Russia. It simply will not happen. I predict that if the fall of Ukraine was imminent, some NATO country would go rogue (Poland) and **** their **** up. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

They are equipped, and deployment will start soon. I dont agree they are going to be surged into the Donbass, they are going to take Kiev to end the war.

Russian conscripts unskilled in urban warfare would not be able to take a city of 2 million people organized in resistance.

Worst case scenario, the Ukrainian government can move further west to Lviv close to the Polish border and still put up a fight.

Ukrainians have surprised everyone, more than once.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 10:36 AM, Unusual Tournament said:

NATO leaders have been worried by the heavy casualties and massive ammunition usage in Ukraine.

"The scale of this war is out of proportion with all of our recent thinking," NATO's top general said in January.

Still no figures.  Which NATO top general?  Details ? Source ?  I'm seriously interested.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since there has been talk of 300,000 or 500,000 Russian soldiers for a spring offensive along with talks of where the offensive will happen being talked about now it is probably a good idea to mention where all of this stuff is coming from.

The 300,000 Russian soldiers is from the partial mobilization done by Russia around either September or October, I think October but I'm too lazy to look it up.

The 500,000 Russian soldiers is from what Ukraine is expecting Russia to mobilize next to sustain a planned spring/summer offensive.  To restate, the 500,000 is the expected next mobilization not actual current soldiers mobilized.

Where things get confusing is that news articles are throwing around both of those numbers, plugging them into articles interchangeably, misquoting/partially quoting sources then filling in gaps with stuff where I honestly have no idea where they are getting it from. 

It seems like a lot of the news agencies in mainstream media are desperate to be the first one to report on the expected Russian offensive and has formed this weird echo chamber thing where they keep repeating but slightly changing what other news agencies have already said so its different while all trying to be first to report on anything new.

As for where the planned Russian offensive will take place that is uncertain but most of the talk is that Russia is planning offensive actions around Vuldehar, Bakhmut, and Kreminna.  A build up of Russian forces have been noticed in those areas along with increases in the amount and ferocity of attacks in those locations.  Despite claims of a Russian offensive from Belarus at the current time it seems approximately 15,000 Russian troops are in Belarus for training exercises.  Those 15,000 Russian soldiers are far less than 500,000 and highly unlikely to be able to do an attack of Kyiv.

Felt like it should be added in that it seems Russia currently has about 280,000 soldiers fighting in Ukraine.  The invasion started with approximately 150,000 to 200,000 Russian soldiers.  With approximately 300,000 mobilized to support the war effort and with American estimated at 100,000+ Russian casualties, I think one from Denmark had 180,000+ Russian casualties, while Ukraine is claiming 100,000+ Russian soldiers killed all of those numbers do make sense.

It implies that Russia in total has sent between 450,000 to 500,000 soldiers into Ukraine.  Russia has probably had around 200,000 casualties and with soldiers that have either served their term of service or been rotated out the numbers seem to fit overall.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi UT

Right I’m the title of the article it says opinion so that is not based on fact necessarily nor does it mean that it is directly from military sources. I didn’t read it because it asked to join to get a free account which is just more personal tracking so not interested in giving more venues to follow me around digitally 

Same here

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Russia have had 500,000 (not 300,000) troops in Belarus training for the last 3 months.

LOL, the Russians are still trying to take a small insignificant town like Bakhmut after 6 months and you're convinced they're going to roll into Kiev and end the war with a second mobilisation after they haven't even committed all their troops (because of lack of training and equipment) from the first mobilisation.  The area is surrounded by thick forests and swamps. There are only a few viable ways from point A to point B (Kiev) and Ukranian defenses have them well covered. 

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Well that remains to be seen. Personally it would seems Putin’s plans for Ukraine to capitulate have failed. Pushing Putin out is gonna be difficult if not impossible. American generals have suddenly gotten cold feet and reassessed the chances of Ukraine winning as not that great. But their goal of Ukraine not being part of Russia has been achieved so has tying up Putin’s war machine. Basically fighting Russia to the last Ukrainian. 

one another note have you read what then Israeli PM said about the peace talks between Putin and Zelensky being scuttled? Fascinating insight into the Machiavellian machinations of modern history 

In fact I don't think it will be the Ukranians pushing Putin out, it will be his own mob.  Putin has/is conventionally throwing everything at Ukraine and despite the initial territorial gains has since lost territory (Kharkiv, around Kiev, Kherson).  There comes a point in time when even Russians, as submissive as they are, may start revolting against the war and the large number of deaths for little gain.

No certainty and don't hold me to account on it but I have a feeling Ukraine's major breakthrough might be towards Melitopol which, if successful, would cut Russian supplies to Crimea and stifle their little advances in Donbass.  The Ukranians at this point aren't equipped for such an offensive and the weather isn't right but it could start in a couple of months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

In fact I don't think it will be the Ukranians pushing Putin out, it will be his own mob.  Putin has/is conventionally throwing everything at Ukraine and despite the initial territorial gains has since lost territory (Kharkiv, around Kiev, Kherson).  There comes a point in time when even Russians, as submissive as they are, may start revolting against the war and the large number of deaths for little gain.

No certainty and don't hold me to account on it but I have a feeling Ukraine's major breakthrough might be towards Melitopol which, if successful, would cut Russian supplies to Crimea and stifle their little advances in Donbass.  The Ukranians at this point aren't equipped for such an offensive and the weather isn't right but it could start in a couple of months.

This war is certainly fluid. At least conventionally. Can’t help but wonder if both Putin and Zelensky would do it all the same if they had a chance. 

Putin is entrenched and his fate directly tied to Russia’s in this war. It’s now an existential dilemma for all. The Secretary General of the UN has talked about tactical nuclear weapons for the first time. 90 seconds to the doomsday clock. No good mate. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

This war is certainly fluid. At least conventionally. Can’t help but wonder if both Putin and Zelensky would do it all the same if they had a chance. 

Putin is entrenched and his fate directly tied to Russia’s in this war. It’s now an existential dilemma for all. The Secretary General of the UN has talked about tactical nuclear weapons for the first time. 90 seconds to the doomsday clock. No good mate. 

Putin will just have to take it like a man.  He started this.  The chances of Russia firing tactical nukes are really slim.  As mentioned, he and his elite have family too and that would be the end of Russia and many Russian people.  Putin and his regime of kleptocrats are no good for this world, the same with China, Iran, North Korea and the likes.  The demise of these nations can only benefit the world but it has to come from within.  The important thing is the world doesn't roll the red carpet in their aspirations of grandeur.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

New U.S. aid package includes longer-range bombs for Ukraine:

The Biden administration is providing Ukraine with a new longer-range bomb as part of the $2.2 billion aid package announced Friday, but the new weapon likely won’t arrive until much later this year. The weapon, the Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb, is made up of a precision-guided 250-pound bomb strapped to a rocket motor and fired from a ground launcher. It’s normally launched from the air and the ground-launched version does not yet exist in U.S. military inventory. It could take up to nine months for U.S. defense contractors to do the necessary retrofits.

The rest of the aid package includes weapons drawn from U.S. stocks as well as funding to contract for new equipment through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, a vehicle set up by Congress to fund aid for Ukraine. The package includes spare parts and munitions for air defense systems, a critical need in blunting the Russian drone and missile attacks on civilian targets across Ukraine.

The new rockets announced on Friday, which can travel over 80 miles, will help Ukrainian forces “conduct operations in defense of their country, and to take back their sovereign territory in Russian occupied areas," Pentagon spokesperson Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder told reporters.

They will not be drawn from existing American stockpiles however, meaning it will take months for Boeing and the U.S. government to agree on the terms of the contract and get them to the battlefield. That timeline means they will likely not be available for the warm-weather offensives Ukraine is planning this year.

Another issue is that the bomb can’t be launched by any of Ukraine’s current equipment. Ukrainian engineers have been working on retrofits for ground launchers for several months.

New U.S. aid package includes longer-range bombs for Ukraine (msn.com)

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the lates BS from Russia propaganda?

Apparently the USSR fought alone against the entire west in ww2, not the Axis but the entirety of the west. They got help from no one, and apparently only russians died, no Ukrainians fought in the red army.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

500k troops costs quite a bit of money to support, long-term, so I do believe that Putin is counting on overwhelming Ukraine quickly on a few different fronts (Kyiv included) to try and end the war.

That said, it is highly unlikely that a NATO/US-backed Ukraine will fall to Russia. It simply will not happen. I predict that if the fall of Ukraine was imminent, some NATO country would go rogue (Poland) and **** their **** up. 

Your soldiers don't need food or medical care when they have patriotism comrade 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

• Like 1

Distressing parallels between Stalin's forced starvation of Ukrainians and Putin's genocide, as told by an eyewitness to both. 

This 102-year-old Ukrainian survived Stalin's forced famine. Now she is making camouflage sniper suits | CNN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not totally on topic but it involves Putin.

An international team of investigators announced Wednesday that there are "strong indications" Russian President Vladimir Putin was the person who approved the supply of anti-aircraft weaponry to Ukrainian separatists who shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in 2014, killing all 298 onboard. 

The Joint Investigation Team, made up of experts from the Netherlands, Australia, Malaysia, Belgium and Ukraine, has been examining the crew of the missile system and those who ordered its deployment in Ukraine.  

MH17 was traveling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia on July 17, 2014, when it was shot out of the sky. 

Dutch prosecutors said in their summary of investigation findings Wednesday that "there are strong indications that the Russian president decided on supplying" a Buk missile system to Ukrainian separatists. A Buk system from the Russian military's 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade, based in the city of Kursk, was used to bring down MH17. 

But prosecutor Digna van Boetzelaer said that without Russian cooperation in the probe, "the investigation has now reached its limit. All leads have been exhausted." 

The announcement comes nearly three months after a Dutch court convicted two Russians and a Ukrainian rebel for their roles in shooting down the plane. One Russian was acquitted by the court. 

The convictions and the court's finding that the surface-to-air Buk missile came from a Russian military base were seen as a clear indication that Moscow had a role in the tragedy. Russia has always denied involvement. The Russian Foreign Ministry accused the court in November of bowing to pressure from Dutch politicians, prosecutors and the news media. 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-putin-likely-signed-off-missile-supply-malaysia-airlines-shoot-down-investigators-say

• Like 2

6 hours ago, godnodog said:

Apparently the USSR fought alone against the entire west in ww2, not the Axis but the entirety of the west. They got help from no one, and apparently only russians died, no Ukrainians fought in the red army.

So if they were against us in the west ,why did we supply them with Tanks , and armoured vehicles , and lose over 100 ships helping them out . Russia did not beat Germany ,the Winter did ,if Germany had attacked in the summer it would have been a different outcome . Over 2 million Russians died before they stopped the Germans who had no winter gear . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

So if they were against us in the west ,why did we supply them with Tanks , and armoured vehicles , and lose over 100 ships helping them out . Russia did not beat Germany ,the Winter did ,if Germany had attacked in the summer it would have been a different outcome . Over 2 million Russians died before they stopped the Germans who had no winter gear . 

shut up dude, don’t ruin history rewritten with facts

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, godnodog said:

Where did you read this? Link?

Russia's forced conscription army of ill-trained peasant soldiers isn't getting more proficient at anything but death and defeat.

Smashed By Ukrainian Mines And Artillery, Russia’s Winter Offensive Just Ground To A Halt Outside Vuhledar (msn.com)

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 8:22 PM, and-then said:

My point was less about the war and who might be right than it was about the similarity of attitude displayed by several here regarding how they'd treat anyone who disagrees.  As for the majority supporting the war, I'd have to take your word for that.  I'd understand the older generation being patriotic in supporting it, but the fact that hundreds of thousands fled the country rather than serve, tells me the youth want no part of it.  

Yeah, they were quite comfortable before mobilization...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked