Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia Masses Military Equipment Near Ukraine Borders: A Prologue to WWIII?

Grim Reaper 6

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I don't think Afghanistan had anything to do with any of Putin's plans but I agree on the rest. 

For the most part I agree with you BRD.  I don't think it factored in Putin's thinking.  I think he was expecting a rerun of his 2014 invasion of Ukraine, when he went in with surprise on his side and Ukraine barely had a military.  8 years on Ukraine has not been caught napping twice.  Admittedly the first time they expected Russia to honor its treaties towards them, but it didn't, and they world did very little to help the Ukranians.  So little in fact that Putin thought he could have another bite of the cherry.

Looking at Afghanistan, Putin likely saw the USA getting out as a move towards an Isolationist period in US foreign policy.  The withdrawal from Afghanistan was a Trump policy that Biden adopted.  It also looked like the height of madness when the US backed regime fell to the Taliban in a fortnight.  Of course, this was a trap, as the Taliban found themselves locked out of Afghanistan's treasury, and as a result of the poverty they brought are now fighting a series of internal insurrections.  Terrorists fighting terrorists seems like a good thing to me; a problem that solves itself. Poetic even.  I don't think Putin was paying attention to what this financial part of the Afghanistan story meant  at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

For the most part I agree with you BRD.  I don't think it factored in Putin's thinking.  I think he was expecting a rerun of his 2014 invasion of Ukraine, when he went in with surprise on his side and Ukraine barely had a military.  8 years on Ukraine has not been caught napping twice.  Admittedly the first time they expected Russia to honor its treaties towards them, but it didn't, and they world did very little to help the Ukranians.  So little in fact that Putin thought he could have another bite of the cherry.

I doubt Putin even imagined how badly led, disorganised and poorly equipped his military were.  You're right, he probably thought it would be a repeat of 2014 and didn't expect NATO to supply Ukraine with equal, if not superior weaponry.  Still, if they were led and organised properly, pure numbers should have made the difference. 

Putin succeeded Yeltsin who battled with pro Soviet politicians in his endeavour, together with Gorbachev, to change Russia to a Democratic Federation.  Gorbachev resigned the day after the Soviet Union was disolved and Yeltsin became the new President of the Russian Federation.  During his spill he reformed the Constitution which gave the President more powers and allowed privatisation and Capitalism.  Initially he was also inclined to support Russia becoming part of NATO but this was a bit far fetched for many Russians, not only pro Soviets, who were still sour over the dismantlement of their Empire and who viewed NATO as their quintessential enemy.  In fact there was also an unsuccessful attempted coup d'etat by Soviets to overthrow the Russian Parliament in 1994 which led to 147 deaths.  But Yeltsin was also corrupt, a drunk and accused of being responsible for bringing the Russian economy into collapse, which is quite ironic considering he took the helm after the Soviet Govt (Gorbachev) unsuccefully tried to reform the failing Soviet economy through Perestroika.  

In 1999 Yeltsin resigned due to bad health and his Prime Minister, an ex KGB Agent called Vladmir Putin, took office.  Despite being the successor of a reformer I doubt Putin was ever of the same mindset.  Even his former role as a KGB Agent sounds out of place.  Putin secretly held Gorbachev responsible for the collapse of the Soviet Union and snubbed even attending his funeral as a clear sign of his disrespect.  I believe Putin is trying to partly reverse the damage done by Gorbachev and Yeltsin.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I believe Putin is trying to partly reverse the damage done by Gorbachev and Yeltsin.  

That is definitely part of Putin's motivation, but it isn't his only motive for invading Ukraine.  The Black Sea has large gas and oil deposits that Putin wants for Russia, especially on the Crimean coast.  Of course they haven't developed them, because Russia is appalling at developing industries, as it involves work, which is something non-Russians do.  Ukraine also has plenty of mineral reserves and huge agricultural output.  In geopolitical defense terms, Ukraine also provides one of the easiest invasion routes into the Russian heartland.  Also, having dominated Ukraine for 400 years, the Russians feel it is their right to do so.  Of course all that changed in 2022.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

That is definitely part of Putin's motivation, but it isn't his only motive for invading Ukraine.  The Black Sea has large gas and oil deposits that Putin wants for Russia, especially on the Crimean coast.  Of course they haven't developed them, because Russia is appalling at developing industries, as it involves work, which is something non-Russians do.  Ukraine also has plenty of mineral reserves and huge agricultural output.  In geopolitical defense terms, Ukraine also provides one of the easiest invasion routes into the Russian heartland.  Also, having dominated Ukraine for 400 years, the Russians feel it is their right to do so.  Of course all that changed in 2022.

The Donbas has a vast amount of resources aswell. Rich in oil, gas and minerals. Think it was about 45% of Ukraines economy in that region.

• Like 1

We should really post some of the most outrageous Russian propaganda on this site.  It's completely ridiculous and should be good for a laugh.

Russians debate whether Zelensky is the Antichrist or merely a small demon

Russia accuses Ukranians of eating Russian soldiers

How Russia uses propaganda to encourage genocide in Ukraine (not funny)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

The Donbas has a vast amount of resources aswell. Rich in oil, gas and minerals. Think it was about 45% of Ukraines economy in that region.

I must disagree.  The Donbas costs more to run than it makes.  It actually has more iron and coal than most minerals, and while those are very useful, they are not internationally competitive and were kept going by Soviet tolerance for inefficiency.  While Donbas might be improved in the future, it is pretty much just a Soviet era rust belt atm.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3

It's most likely true. russians are being told to buy their own equipment. So they buy paintball gear or Halloween costumes because it's much cheaper than the real stuff. 

This particular toy helmet was made in Serbia (logo of the company that produces those is clearly visible), so maybe it was even a "brotherly" military aid. 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked