Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a monkey really write the complete works of Shakespeare ?

UM-Bot

Well, I suppose given enough time, that any sort of random character generator could spit-put damn near any such stuff.

are we at the point where we actually are taking these old, ridiculous phrases literally? 

"Known as the infinite monkey theorem, this age-old mathematical quandary has been debated for years" 

No... no, it actually hasn't been... 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

are we at the point where we actually are taking these old, ridiculous phrases literally? 

"Known as the infinite monkey theorem, this age-old mathematical quandary has been debated for years" 

There are so many sayings or findings that could be construed as urban myths: we only use 1/10th of our brain, swans can break a mans arm, it is too cold to snow, Einstein's wife came up with his theories, Shakespeare didn't write his plays- all these are easily disproved just by simple observation or common sense.

• Like 1

It was the best of times it was the blurst of times.  I don't care, I was the first to it.

Edited by Gumball
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe, when Elon Musk soon implants a chips in their monkey brains. :unsure2:

Maybe not....

https://www.wionews.com/technology/15-out-of-23-monkeys-die-in-neuralinks-trial-to-link-human-brain-to-computer-452959

• Like 1

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war," comes from the original Klingon  I believe.   Don't know how Shakespeare was able to get hold of it in our pre-space travel era.

Most monkeys only live for 20 or 30 years.   So no.   They would die long before they got the first word right.

• 8 months later...
Guest chiron613

Yes.  Given enough time, such a monkey (or computer, or whatever) would produce all the works of Shakespeare, the Bible, every book ever written... but it would produce incorrect versions of these works, as well as an enormous amount of pure gibberish.  You'd have telephone books, with correct numbers, but also trillions of telephone books with wrong numbers; dictionaries with wrong definitions, and some with correct definitions.

This is just simple math, permutations of the letters and words... Finding any sort of reasonable text among all the output would be like looking for a grain of sand in the Universe.  It's there, but it's so utterly lost as to be useless.  Also, as I said, you'll have an infinite number of wrong versions of everything.

Guest chiron613
On 2/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, HandsomeGorilla said:

I've got a set of math books that are 50-60 years old, and among the many chapters is one discussing this topic.

Guest chiron613
On 2/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, Silver said:

There are so many sayings or findings that could be construed as urban myths: we only use 1/10th of our brain, swans can break a mans arm, it is too cold to snow, Einstein's wife came up with his theories, Shakespeare didn't write his plays- all these are easily disproved just by simple observation or common sense.

The Infinite Monkey Theorem isn't among those that are disproved, however.