Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man who bought allegedly haunted painting claims it ruined his life

Still Waters

A “weird thing collector” who paid $50 for a painting at a flea market, despite explicitly being warned that it brought nothing but misfortune, now claims the haunted artwork changed his life for the worse.

Dan Smith – not his real name – bought the unnamed painting of two dolls at a flea market, ignoring the former owner’s warnings that it was bad news. If anything, the fact that it was a bad luck charm was something of a bonus, as he wanted to test it out for himself. Unfortunately, his curiosity had a high price, as he claims he went on an “epic losing streak” as soon as he brought it home with him.

Smith said that he started losing sleep, discovered an insect infestation in his house, and the death of his pet hamster, who had always been in ‘perfect health’. Sickness, loneliness, sleeplessness and uneasiness all started creeping into his previously happy life, and he is convinced that it’s all because of the painting. Now he’s auctioning it off on eBay, in an attempt to get his old life back.

https://www.odditycentral.com/art/man-who-bought-allegedly-haunted-painting-claims-it-ruined-his-life.html

Man Selling 'Cursed' Painting For £37 On eBay Says It Ruined His Life

https://www.ladbible.com/community/man-selling-cursed-painting-for-37-on-ebay-says-it-ruined-his-life-20220302

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, moonman said:

Haunted, no, but ugly as hell, yes. Who would put that up in their house?

Somebody looking for YouTube hits and some monetization?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

perhaps, if i buy this... then make a list of everything "bad" that happens on a daily basis for the next year and blame it on the painting... i could potentially flip the painting for double what i paid for it. To heck with flipping houses... i think i found my niche in flipping haunted/cursed paintings. 

ebay here i come**

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 7

“…says he purchased the painting at a flea market from a woman who even warned him that the painting was bad news.”

I wonder what the results would have been if the woman had told him that the painting was good news?

• Like 3

If it brings such bad luck to people why wouldn't you just burn the darn thing? Why would you want to pass such bad luck on? :unsure2:

What a load of nonsense!

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If it brings such bad luck to people why wouldn't you just burn the darn thing?

(There's no need for that kind of language. :angry:)

Anyway..... You know the painting won't burn. :yes:

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, acute said:

(There's no need for that kind of language. :angry:)

Anyway..... You know the painting won't burn. :yes:

Give the frigging thing to me. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

Give the frigging thing to me. ^_^

It'll cost ya!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"epic loosing streak"

And it has not fixed his spelling. 

21 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

If it brings such bad luck to people why wouldn't you just burn the darn thing? Why would you want to pass such bad luck on? :unsure2:

What a load of nonsense!

If was right there in the episode of that show. He gave it away, threw it away, buned it, but (ominous sounding music) it just came back! 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, acute said:

It'll cost ya!

Yep, it’s up to $1725 (US)

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I only hope he's getting clowned with those bids and people aren't actually willing to pay that much for a horribly ugly painting and a BS story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, ouija ouija said:

What a load of nonsense!

Why try to help fellow humans in this cruel world when you can take their money for an item that will hurt them,  no dan smith isnt a full of bull loathsome evil profiteer attention junkie.

And on that note many years back over near rock springs park was a biker club sale to raise $$$ for toys for tots,

It was late and they were packing up but we stopped and i found an orginal yet unsigned painting that had a weird draw, the fellow was loading his van and i asked how much and did you paint it, he didnt know who painted it or even how it got to the sale he said it was ugly and people trashed it all day if i wanted it take it,

He said but if you wanna donate it goes to kids, i gave him 10 bucks which he seemed delighted over, the painting hangs half way up my stairs on a landing wall, its large but fits well and i believe i like it more every day,

Sorry for the crap pic im not feeling great today.

20220308_214123_copy_448x422.jpg.a13d467a185c5a5a7644f7e75550b474.jpg

That concludes my 2 cent attention grab.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 8:59 AM, Still Waters said:

Smith said that he started losing sleep, discovered an insect infestation in his house, and the death of his pet hamster, who had always been in ‘perfect health’

Fleas.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I'll believe someone actually paid that when the money gets to his account.

If it does, I need to start finding some ugly ass paintings and spin up the BS factory as well. If idiots want to throw money away, they can throw it my way.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

The guy had a maggot infestation in his wall that he dumped an entire bottle of bug killer into... and the painting was the problem?

• Haha 2

If it's such a cursed paint then why is he selling it instead of destroying it? Oh right if there's money to be made.....

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, godnodog said:

If it's such a cursed paint then why is he selling it instead of destroying it? Oh right if there's money to be made.....

If the bloke really believed it was cursed or evil he would have an idea that destroying this is not going to end the curse but transfer it, he also wouldn't be selling unless he was a real ----. I believe he is just a greedy careless soul.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, openozy said:

If the bloke really believed it was cursed or evil he would have an idea that destroying this is not going to end the curse but transfer it, he also wouldn't be selling unless he was a real ----. I believe he is just a greedy careless soul.

I think that destroying it by fire would end the curse(dissipate it?).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, openozy said:

I believe imnsho that he is a profiteer and never thought it was cursed

Then again i dont believe in curses.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I think that destroying it by fire would end the curse(dissipate it?).

It would destroy the painting.

24 minutes ago, the13bats said:

It would destroy the painting.

. . . and the curse would no longer have something to attach itself to! :D