Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pakistan again faces questions over ‘honour’ killings

Eldorado

The prevalence of so-called “honour” killings in Pakistan has increasingly been the subject of national debate. The perpetrators are husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, and in some cases, strangers hired by the victims’ families. And the reasons they give for their crimes include the women or girls having sexual relationships (actual or alleged), having a boyfriend, marrying without family consent, failing to prove virginity on their wedding night, being a victim of rape, leaving an abusive husband, using a mobile phone or posting a picture on Facebook.

After social media star Qandeel Baloch was murdered by her brother, Waseem Khan, in July 2016, a landmark piece of legislation was passed. The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic”. The bill was nonetheless welcomed by the public and considered a step in the right direction.

In February 2022, however, a mere three years after Khan was convicted, the high court of Pakistan ordered his acquittal.

https://theconversation.com/pakistan-again-faces-questions-over-honour-killings-as-brother-acquitted-of-social-media-stars-murder-177174

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...

On 3/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Eldorado said:

The prevalence of so-called “honour” killings in Pakistan has increasingly been the subject of national debate. The perpetrators are husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, and in some cases, strangers hired by the victims’ families. And the reasons they give for their crimes include the women or girls having sexual relationships (actual or alleged), having a boyfriend, marrying without family consent, failing to prove virginity on their wedding night, being a victim of rape, leaving an abusive husband, using a mobile phone or posting a picture on Facebook.

After social media star Qandeel Baloch was murdered by her brother, Waseem Khan, in July 2016, a landmark piece of legislation was passed. The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic”. The bill was nonetheless welcomed by the public and considered a step in the right direction.

In February 2022, however, a mere three years after Khan was convicted, the high court of Pakistan ordered his acquittal.

https://theconversation.com/pakistan-again-faces-questions-over-honour-killings-as-brother-acquitted-of-social-media-stars-murder-177174

I am tired of those bearded stone age male shovinists who claim that their disgusting cultural practise is somehow according to Islam. Muslims arround the world need to stand up and denounce such practises and defend Islam, not from Christians, Jews, Pagans....but from those monsters within Islam who are using every backward cultural insanity under the disguise of a religion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No getting around it, murder is murder, period.

"If I was King of America....", I would immediately turn away any immigrant that ascribes to Sharia law 

12 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

No getting around it, murder is murder, period.

"If I was King of America....", I would immediately turn away any immigrant that ascribes to Sharia law 

This "honor"killing practice has no base in Islam, Quran or Sharia. It is the same cultural practise that is practised in that area including India by Hindus.

I have no problem discusing the short comings of Islam and muslims as a religious entity. I have no issues condeming muslims who terrorise others, who try to impose their belifs on others. I call them out, just like now, when they do bad things claiming Islamic laws. 

But I will defend Islam, although I am not religious, from people spreading missinformation and xenophobic ideals just like I would and did defend Christianity and Judaism.

Your post is uneducated and xenophobic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, odas said:

I am tired of those bearded stone age male shovinists who claim that their disgusting cultural practise is somehow according to Islam. Muslims arround the world need to stand up and denounce such practises and defend Islam, not from Christians, Jews, Pagans....but from those monsters within Islam who are using every backward cultural insanity under the disguise of a religion. 

It's the Islamic year 1443.

The Christians weren't that different in the Christian year 1443. Think 'Spain'.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:10 AM, odas said:

This "honor"killing practice has no base in Islam, Quran or Sharia. It is the same cultural practise that is practised in that area including India by Hindus.

I have no problem discusing the short comings of Islam and muslims as a religious entity. I have no issues condeming muslims who terrorise others, who try to impose their belifs on others. I call them out, just like now, when they do bad things claiming Islamic laws. 

But I will defend Islam, although I am not religious, from people spreading missinformation and xenophobic ideals just like I would and did defend Christianity and Judaism.

Uneducated...? Xenophobic....? Wow, those are strong words to toss around, mon amis, es[pecially when you are dead wrong. From the OP:

On 3/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Eldorado said:

The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic

So there ya go. Yes, yes, yes, I accept apologies  B)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Uneducated...? Xenophobic....? Wow, those are strong words to toss around, mon amis, es[pecially when you are dead wrong. From the OP:

For what? 

15 hours ago, Abramelin said:

It's the Islamic year 1443.

The Christians weren't that different in the Christian year 1443. Think 'Spain'.

Or in the Christian year 2022. Except, nowdays they are using "secular" courts to do their work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Yes, I see now why you are asking. "Anti-Islamic" is what the clerics say. You know, the ones who don't want females to know how to read or write, to inforce only the Quran to read on everyone else and forbid questioning the Quran... NOW, that is in fact anti-islamic.

As I said, honor killings have no base in islam itself but were incorporated as cultural practise into Islam that is practised in that Indo-Pakistani area. If you compare how Hindus treat their females, daughters, women, the cast structure...you will see very little difference between Hindu culture and Islam culture in that area.

Just like if you compare the everyday life of a Bosnian muslim and a Bosnian christian. The only difference would realy be that they are meeting in a pub for a cold one coming either from a prayer in the church or a prayer in the mosque.

Just like there is a variety of christians, christian cultures, christian belifs, christian traditions...that were incorporated into christianity specific to an area, so is there a variety of muslims.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, odas said:

For what? 

for calling me out as - "Uneducated, Xenophobic". Remember that?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

for calling me out as - "Uneducated, Xenophobic". Remember that?

Agree. That was to harsh. My appologies.

I will retract my statement and call your post "uninformed"

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, odas said:

He is not wrong either, any immigrant should hold the usa constitution and law above all religious laws. 

5 minutes ago, kartikg said:

He is not wrong either, any immigrant should hold the usa constitution and law above all religious laws. 

Man we can't even get the white people already here to do that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Not dissagreeing with that but that was not the point. However, on a side note, does holding the USA constitution above all religious laws is required only of immigrants because it sure as hell does not apply for "real" Americans.