Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pakistan again faces questions over ‘honour’ killings


Eldorado
 Share

Recommended Posts

The prevalence of so-called “honour” killings in Pakistan has increasingly been the subject of national debate. The perpetrators are husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, and in some cases, strangers hired by the victims’ families. And the reasons they give for their crimes include the women or girls having sexual relationships (actual or alleged), having a boyfriend, marrying without family consent, failing to prove virginity on their wedding night, being a victim of rape, leaving an abusive husband, using a mobile phone or posting a picture on Facebook.

After social media star Qandeel Baloch was murdered by her brother, Waseem Khan, in July 2016, a landmark piece of legislation was passed. The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic”. The bill was nonetheless welcomed by the public and considered a step in the right direction.

In February 2022, however, a mere three years after Khan was convicted, the high court of Pakistan ordered his acquittal.

https://theconversation.com/pakistan-again-faces-questions-over-honour-killings-as-brother-acquitted-of-social-media-stars-murder-177174

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
 
On 3/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Eldorado said:

The prevalence of so-called “honour” killings in Pakistan has increasingly been the subject of national debate. The perpetrators are husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, cousins, and in some cases, strangers hired by the victims’ families. And the reasons they give for their crimes include the women or girls having sexual relationships (actual or alleged), having a boyfriend, marrying without family consent, failing to prove virginity on their wedding night, being a victim of rape, leaving an abusive husband, using a mobile phone or posting a picture on Facebook.

After social media star Qandeel Baloch was murdered by her brother, Waseem Khan, in July 2016, a landmark piece of legislation was passed. The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic”. The bill was nonetheless welcomed by the public and considered a step in the right direction.

In February 2022, however, a mere three years after Khan was convicted, the high court of Pakistan ordered his acquittal.

https://theconversation.com/pakistan-again-faces-questions-over-honour-killings-as-brother-acquitted-of-social-media-stars-murder-177174

I am tired of those bearded stone age male shovinists who claim that their disgusting cultural practise is somehow according to Islam. Muslims arround the world need to stand up and denounce such practises and defend Islam, not from Christians, Jews, Pagans....but from those monsters within Islam who are using every backward cultural insanity under the disguise of a religion. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No getting around it, murder is murder, period.

"If I was King of America....", I would immediately turn away any immigrant that ascribes to Sharia law 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

No getting around it, murder is murder, period.

"If I was King of America....", I would immediately turn away any immigrant that ascribes to Sharia law 

This "honor"killing practice has no base in Islam, Quran or Sharia. It is the same cultural practise that is practised in that area including India by Hindus.

I have no problem discusing the short comings of Islam and muslims as a religious entity. I have no issues condeming muslims who terrorise others, who try to impose their belifs on others. I call them out, just like now, when they do bad things claiming Islamic laws. 

But I will defend Islam, although I am not religious, from people spreading missinformation and xenophobic ideals just like I would and did defend Christianity and Judaism.

Your post is uneducated and xenophobic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, odas said:

I am tired of those bearded stone age male shovinists who claim that their disgusting cultural practise is somehow according to Islam. Muslims arround the world need to stand up and denounce such practises and defend Islam, not from Christians, Jews, Pagans....but from those monsters within Islam who are using every backward cultural insanity under the disguise of a religion. 

It's the Islamic year 1443.

The Christians weren't that different in the Christian year 1443. Think 'Spain'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 8:10 AM, odas said:

This "honor"killing practice has no base in Islam, Quran or Sharia. It is the same cultural practise that is practised in that area including India by Hindus.

I have no problem discusing the short comings of Islam and muslims as a religious entity. I have no issues condeming muslims who terrorise others, who try to impose their belifs on others. I call them out, just like now, when they do bad things claiming Islamic laws. 

But I will defend Islam, although I am not religious, from people spreading missinformation and xenophobic ideals just like I would and did defend Christianity and Judaism.

Your post is uneducated and xenophobic.

 

Uneducated...? Xenophobic....? Wow, those are strong words to toss around, mon amis, es[pecially when you are dead wrong. From the OP:

On 3/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Eldorado said:

The 2016 Criminal Law (Amendment) (Offences in the name or pretext of Honour) Act was widely opposed by the country’s influential clerics for being “anti-Islamic

So there ya go. Yes, yes, yes, I accept apologies  B)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

 

Uneducated...? Xenophobic....? Wow, those are strong words to toss around, mon amis, es[pecially when you are dead wrong. From the OP:

So there ya go. Yes, yes, yes, I accept apologies  B)

For what? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Abramelin said:

It's the Islamic year 1443.

The Christians weren't that different in the Christian year 1443. Think 'Spain'.

Or in the Christian year 2022. Except, nowdays they are using "secular" courts to do their work.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

 

Uneducated...? Xenophobic....? Wow, those are strong words to toss around, mon amis, es[pecially when you are dead wrong. From the OP:

So there ya go. Yes, yes, yes, I accept apologies  B)

Yes, I see now why you are asking. "Anti-Islamic" is what the clerics say. You know, the ones who don't want females to know how to read or write, to inforce only the Quran to read on everyone else and forbid questioning the Quran... NOW, that is in fact anti-islamic.

As I said, honor killings have no base in islam itself but were incorporated as cultural practise into Islam that is practised in that Indo-Pakistani area. If you compare how Hindus treat their females, daughters, women, the cast structure...you will see very little difference between Hindu culture and Islam culture in that area.

Just like if you compare the everyday life of a Bosnian muslim and a Bosnian christian. The only difference would realy be that they are meeting in a pub for a cold one coming either from a prayer in the church or a prayer in the mosque.

Just like there is a variety of christians, christian cultures, christian belifs, christian traditions...that were incorporated into christianity specific to an area, so is there a variety of muslims.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, odas said:

For what? 

for calling me out as - "Uneducated, Xenophobic". Remember that?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

for calling me out as - "Uneducated, Xenophobic". Remember that?

 

 

Agree. That was to harsh. My appologies.

I will retract my statement and call your post "uninformed"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, odas said:

This "honor"killing practice has no base in Islam, Quran or Sharia. It is the same cultural practise that is practised in that area including India by Hindus.

I have no problem discusing the short comings of Islam and muslims as a religious entity. I have no issues condeming muslims who terrorise others, who try to impose their belifs on others. I call them out, just like now, when they do bad things claiming Islamic laws. 

But I will defend Islam, although I am not religious, from people spreading missinformation and xenophobic ideals just like I would and did defend Christianity and Judaism.

Your post is uneducated and xenophobic.

He is not wrong either, any immigrant should hold the usa constitution and law above all religious laws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
5 minutes ago, kartikg said:

He is not wrong either, any immigrant should hold the usa constitution and law above all religious laws. 

Man we can't even get the white people already here to do that

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kartikg said:

He is not wrong either, any immigrant should hold the usa constitution and law above all religious laws. 

Not dissagreeing with that but that was not the point. However, on a side note, does holding the USA constitution above all religious laws is required only of immigrants because it sure as hell does not apply for "real" Americans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.