Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans are 'alone in this galaxy' believes Brian Cox

Eldorado

Brian Cox does not believe in aliens, he has revealed.

The popular telly physicist argues it is unlikely they exist because the chances of sophisticated life evolving like humans have are simply too low.

Instead he believes ‘there’s probably nothing else’ and that we are the only civilisation in this galaxy, at least.

The 54-year-old boffin explained that, because it took so long for humans to evolve from a single cell in such extraordinary circumstances, he doesn’t think it has been repeated.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/brian-cox-says-doesnt-believe-26388811

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/professor-brian-cox-reveals-thinks-064500300.html

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Im just not the narrow minded egotist he seems to be,

While we might be "it" in this little slum of the universe the simple fact of the vastness of the universe makes it a bit riduculous to make fist beating claims we are the only intel life there is, however, it is a bit moot because of that vastness i do not expect any close encounters.

• Like 4

It's not a bad argument for Brian to make, but the Drake Equation suggests that it isn't as unlikely as all that, despite being vanishingly improbable.  As to the Fermi paradox, well, what about all the UFO sightings?  The US Govt has literally admitted evidence into the public domain and said they haven't got a clue what they are.  Does Brian have an inside line on the answer?  If so, he should publish.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

well, what about all the UFO sightings?  The US Govt has literally admitted evidence into the public domain and said they haven't got a clue what they are

You are gonna steal EoTs most riduculous made up claim award.... :yes:

• Like 1

I'd not go quite as far as Cox, and I certainly believe that life is "relatively" common.  But the evidence from Earth is that even when there's a prolifera of advanced life existing for hundreds of millions of years, the likelihood of any one such species developing "advanced technology" - radio, space flight etc - is incredibly small.   1 in several billion, in the case of Earth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He should of checked out what was outside my window 2007 would of dismissed them as flying lanterns:lol:    cox < for a reason.

• Haha 3

Clever guy. Would explain the lack of any evidence.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

It's not a bad argument for Brian to make, but the Drake Equation suggests that it isn't as unlikely as all that, despite being vanishingly improbable.  As to the Fermi paradox, well, what about all the UFO sightings?  The US Govt has literally admitted evidence into the public domain and said they haven't got a clue what they are.  Does Brian have an inside line on the answer?  If so, he should publish.

So..aliens then!!  :rolleyes:

A bit like..."What was that loud bang from upstairs?" ....so ghost then.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Can anyone verify whether there's been an increase in UFO sightings in Ukraine and Russia during the current conflict. If these craft really do belong to the US, Russia or China as sceptics would have us believe, then surely they would now be using them. If not, then that to me proves they are more likely to be Alien in origin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, AI Construct said:

Can anyone verify whether there's been an increase in UFO sightings in Ukraine and Russia during the current conflict. If these craft really do belong to the US, Russia or China as sceptics would have us believe, then surely they would now be using them. If not, then that to me proves they are more likely to be Alien in origin. 

Get real, just how credulous can you be? first you ponder without doing any reaserch about the number of UFO sightings in war zones them make a ridiculous leap to some absolute that if there isnt an increase of reports then....it must be aliens.

People in war zones are worried about things like oh being killed not an unknown dot in the sky and trying to find a tabloid or true believer to report it to.

The fact is war zone or not we live in an age where a lot more stuff is flying our freindly skies, ranging from toys to high tech and from both the public and private, sources, human not alien.

last two nights i drove to work i saw night flight RC drones, i wouldnt doubt some credulous true believer saw them and is sure we were being invaded.

More "stuff" in the sky doesnt mean it must be aliens,  UFO reports are just that unidentified, not ET and while a countless number of UFOs have been explained not one has been proven to be alien, unless you hold that proof and are going to now post it and show me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

last two nights i drove to work i saw night flight RC drones, i wouldnt doubt some credulous true believer saw them and is sure we were being invaded.

On a lighter note, these were being flown both fri and sat nights, maybe other nights but i only work the weekend, if they are still there this fri i will pull over and grab a pic or two so we can see how my old phone sees them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Brian cox must of watched battlestar galactica as a child, read this and thought it true.

It must be true, it was on TV!!!

This was on the ending of when they foiund earth episode 5. 

Try and go anywhere near AREA 51 and you get shot???  just saying...

battle.png

Edited by Dreamer screamer

On 3/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, Alchopwn said:

It's not a bad argument for Brian to make, but the Drake Equation suggests that it isn't as unlikely as all that, despite being vanishingly improbable.  

That depends on what values you put into Drake's Equation. You can put in values to make it suggest there is life on most planets in our solar system or you can put in values that make it suggest it's unlikely life exists in our own galaxy in which we know there's life. It's just an equation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, astrobeing said:

That depends on what values you put into Drake's Equation. You can put in values to make it suggest there is life on most planets in our solar system or you can put in values that make it suggest it's unlikely life exists in our own galaxy in which we know there's life. It's just an equation.

If you roll the "cosmic dice" enough times you get life. There are over 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way alone, each with many exoplanets.  That's a lot of chances, even if the chance of life is vanishingly low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He doesn't know any more than we do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Indeed. The Drake equation is a probability function, which in my point of view accurately describes the probability of intelligent life in the Universe - if we actually knew which values to stick in there. We don’t. So far all we have are wild guesses. 

Cheers,

Badeskov 

• Like 4

Confronted with a wealth of ambiguous and contradictory speculation, he applied Occam's Razor rather adroitly and quite succinctly came to an unambiguous conclusion. There's not a shred of solid scientific data that even remotely supports the existence of intelligent alien life. He comes to the rather conventional-but safe-tried and true conclusion that intelligent life is far too unlikely to ever be common in the universe. That being said, I guarantee you he'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. He's just not the sort to make a stand on the shifting sands of sheer speculation and wishful thinking. The man's a scientist with nothing "pseudo" about him.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, Eldorado said:

The popular telly physicist argues it is unlikely they exist because the chances of sophisticated life evolving like humans have are simply too low.

Instead he believes ‘there’s probably nothing else’ and that we are the only civilisation in this galaxy, at least.

The 54-year-old boffin explained that, because it took so long for humans to evolve from a single cell in such extraordinary circumstances, he doesn’t think it has been repeated.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/brian-cox-says-doesnt-believe-26388811

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/professor-brian-cox-reveals-thinks-064500300.html

I`m going for something even more exotic...

Many people argue reality already exists, I argue it is emergent instead, and from us. We are the creators of the universe but haven`t figured it out yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Many people argue reality already exists, I argue it is emergent instead, and from us. We are the creators of the universe but haven`t figured it out yet.

Are you living someone elses reality???  :yes:   It's a nightmare, we are living under someone elses spells and illusions.   Check out the pauper laws.:)

On 3/11/2022 at 10:16 PM, Zebra3 said:

He doesn't know any more than we do.

:lol:

On 3/11/2022 at 1:04 AM, Alchopwn said:

If you roll the "cosmic dice" enough times you get life. There are over 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way alone, each with many exoplanets.  That's a lot of chances, even if the chance of life is vanishingly low.

The number of stars is not important. It is the number of stars that could support life and not exist in a part of the galaxy where supernovas would exterminate life on a regular basis. Then you need planets that are rocky and not too close to the star. They need to be large enough to hold an atmosphere and maintain a magnetic field, but not too large where gravity is too strong.

There are many, many factors and the Drake equation is a form tat does not express all of the considerations. Many of its factors cobble together many issues.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The number of stars is not important. It is the number of stars that could support life and not exist in a part of the galaxy where supernovas would exterminate life on a regular basis. Then you need planets that are rocky and not too close to the star. They need to be large enough to hold an atmosphere and maintain a magnetic field, but not too large where gravity is too strong.

There are many, many factors and the Drake equation is a form tat does not express all of the considerations. Many of its factors cobble together many issues.

You would need a big moon to maintain a magnetic field and keep the oceans from tidal locking with it's host star.

• Like 5