Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jussie Smollett Sentenced

Paranoid Android

Actor Jussie Smollett sentenced to probation, jail time for staging fake hate crime

Actor Jussie Smollett, one-time cast member of the TV drama Empire, was sentenced in a Chicago court to 30 months probation and 150 days in jail for staging a hate crime against himself.

Smollett, 39, was also ordered to pay $US120,000 ($163,000) in restitution and fined $US25,000 by Cook County Circuit Court Judge James Linn.

Smollett was found guilty by a jury in December of five of the six felony disorderly conduct counts he faced, one for each time he was accused of lying to police.

Prosecutors said Smollett, who is Black and gay, lied to police when he told them he was accosted on a dark Chicago street by two masked strangers in January 2019.

Source - for further reading

Honestly, I thought he would get a lighter sentence. This seems like an appropriate penalty in my mind, though I think it might depend on what his parole eligibility is like (if he serves 2/3rds of his sentence before parole, that's barely 3 months). 

• Like 8

The sentencing. He was led from the courtroom screaming!

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

LOL

He deserves an Emmy. The part where here repeats that he isn’t suicidal is comedy gold. Well actually, I shouldn’t joke because my first thought when he said that was that he was going to kill himself :/ …..it would be like his greatest race hoax ever. Staging his own “suicide” to look like a homicide…… Seriously, it’s like he thinks he’s Jeffery Epstein or something. Nobody is looking to silence Jesse Smollet to cover up his fake hate crime…..it’s so stupid

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

The man seems sadly mentally unstable to say the least. I hope he gets help and gets it together.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

LOL

He deserves an Emmy. The part where here repeats that he isn’t suicidal is comedy gold. Well actually, I shouldn’t joke because my first thought when he said that was that he was going to kill himself :/ …..it would be like his greatest race hoax ever. Staging his own “suicide” to look like a homicide…… Seriously, it’s like he thinks he’s Jeffery Epstein or something. Nobody is looking to silence Jesse Smollet to cover up his fake hate crime…..it’s so stupid

He really is overrating his self importance. What an a**.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a fair sentence. It isn’t even a year. I’m baffled at how he continued to claim his innocents. Like your boys ratted you out almost right away. 

• Like 9

Did he think that by delivering his non suicidal and am the big innocent line that he was trying out for a part in a crime procedural show? Hate to break it to Jessie but welcome to the real life penal system, go straight to jail don't pass go etc.

• Like 6

Seems fair, nobody but him got hurt, but at the same time he molested race relations with this. Now any far-right ******* can say 'lol hate crimes are all fake, look at Jusse' and his friends will eat it up. 

• Like 4

"I AM NOT SUICIDAL". Does he really think someone is going to Epstein him? Is that what it's even about? That's what it sounded like to me...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, susieice said:

The sentencing. He was led from the courtroom screaming!

Had to wait til I got home from work to use a VPN - whoever uploaded that video geolocked it to United States :cry: 

Then I found out it was covered in the other video you uploaded anyway :w00t: 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Had to wait til I got home from work to use a VPN - whoever uploaded that video geolocked it to United States :cry: 

Then I found out it was covered in the other video you uploaded anyway :w00t: 

I watched it live on Court TV. That is what happened. I just found those two videos of it on YouTube. I'm glad you got to see it on one of them PA. I can't get over the way he acted.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

"I AM NOT SUICIDAL". Does he really think someone is going to Epstein him? Is that what it's even about? That's what it sounded like to me...

That's what I thought he was referring to also.

"If anything happens to me in there I am not suicidal."

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

I read articles where hate crime hoxes happen a lot. Jussie Smollett and Bubba Wallace were just more in the spotlight.

Seems that the demand for racism exceeds the supply if these race hoaxes have to be perpetrated. 

• Like 5

I really have no clue what the cat was thinking or his modifications but seems that judge is on the money.

So this cat wants attention, pity, whatever and made up a hate crime got busted and is off to the grey bar seems fit to me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, susieice said:

Worth the watch. The judge told Smollett just what he thought.

I know America has a race problem because I watch the news, and big media never lies about anything.  Your cops prowl the streets at night, massacring unarmed young black men by the thousand (one already this year).  Dudes who don't have guns hang around with nooses and bleach and MAGA hats, just hopin' for a victim to stroll past at 2 am.  BLM is the most only important thing happening in the world (but not really during winter - it's easier to riot protest when it gets a bit warmer.)1

And this disgraceful video is no different.  Some white dude sitting behind his bulletproof glass saying all those horrible things about some poor little black dude?  And everyone just sittin' there, too intimidated to speak out?  Shame on America!

If there was any Justice for Juicy then only black dudes would be allowed to talk about other black dudes.  Like this chap here:

1 I mean - look at what happened in Ottawa recently.  A bunch of 'big, tough' truckers honking their horns, and how did the authorities react?  Did they send in the riot police with dogs and horses?  Did they impose draconian laws that criminalise even expressing support for the protest?  Did they freeze assets and bank accounts of protestors in an attempt to starve them into submission?2  NO!  They just ignored them.  And after a few days the truckers got cold, honked their horns one last time and gave up.  'S true - big media sez so.

2 No, 'cos that would be completely inhuman.  Which is why we're not even doing it to the billionaire backers of Vlad Putin.  Oligarchs have rights too.

• Like 7

I would have liked to see a stronger sentence for the racist piece of garbage.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I would have liked to see a stronger sentence for the racist piece of garbage.  

I agree 100% with you. He pulled the racist card but exposed his racism. Racism should have no place in our society regardless where it comes from.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

I know America has a race problem because I watch the news, and big media never lies about anything.  Your cops prowl the streets at night, massacring unarmed young black men by the thousand (one already this year).  Dudes who don't have guns hang around with nooses and bleach and MAGA hats, just hopin' for a victim to stroll past at 2 am.  BLM is the most only important thing happening in the world (but not really during winter - it's easier to riot protest when it gets a bit warmer.)1

And this disgraceful video is no different.  Some white dude sitting behind his bulletproof glass saying all those horrible things about some poor little black dude?  And everyone just sittin' there, too intimidated to speak out?  Shame on America!

If there was any Justice for Juicy then only black dudes would be allowed to talk about other black dudes.  Like this chap here:

1 I mean - look at what happened in Ottawa recently.  A bunch of 'big, tough' truckers honking their horns, and how did the authorities react?  Did they send in the riot police with dogs and horses?  Did they impose draconian laws that criminalise even expressing support for the protest?  Did they freeze assets and bank accounts of protestors in an attempt to starve them into submission?2  NO!  They just ignored them.  And after a few days the truckers got cold, honked their horns one last time and gave up.  'S true - big media sez so.

2 No, 'cos that would be completely inhuman.  Which is why we're not even doing it to the billionaire backers of Vlad Putin.  Oligarchs have rights too.

Dude sarcastically trying to ignore the problem doesn't make the problem of black people being mistreated and abused by authority figures and systemic racism go away. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The man seems sadly mentally unstable to say the least. I hope he gets help and gets it together.

Just seems like an absolute **** to me.

Terrible human being.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

Did he think that by delivering his non suicidal and am the big innocent line that he was trying out for a part in a crime procedural show? Hate to break it to Jessie but welcome to the real life penal system, go straight to jail don't pass go etc.

No, he’s obviously planning on faking a suicide attempt, just like the original attack :lol:

He’s addicted to playing the victim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Dude sarcastically trying to ignore the problem doesn't make the problem of black people being mistreated and abused by authority figures and systemic racism go away. 

Right now there are significant groups of people who maintain Smollett's innocence (not least the liar himself).  To them this case, this trial and this sentence are three separate examples to add to the catalogue of mistreatment and abuse you think you're referring to.  In fact to those people every interaction between whites and blacks1 is an example: any interaction is an aggression or microaggression; and assumed racist, with no effort to check (or interest in) whether any racial motive really was involved.  Interactions between blacks and police (of any skin hue) are even more exciting and exploitable; and these people positively orgasm if a cop injures or kills a black person.  Even the most positive of interactions are twisted to suit their narrative, e.g. a pleasant word is just cracker patronisin' us again.  (Listening to certain music is cultural appropriation.  An offer of help is cracker keepin' us oppressedetc.  It doesn't have to make sense.)

So how big is 'the problem of black people being mistreated and abused by authority figures', or are you just buying into the narrative that persists because not enough people challenge it?

Here's just ONE argument you might want to consider:  There are about 900,000 police officers in the USA.  We're about 70 days into 2022 so there have been about 60 million police-days in the USA so far.  How many interactions does the average cop have each day?  I've no idea - ten? a hundred?  If we imagine the average cop interacts with up to twenty members of the public per day that's over a billion interactions between police and citizens so far this year.  Now we need to ask ourselves: in a genuinely systematically racist society (where police hunt and massacre innocent black men because, basically, white cops are racist) what percentage of interactions between police and citizens would end in the shooting of an unarmed black man?  10%?  1%?  One in a thousand?  One in a million?  I'm not suggesting there is a scientific cut-off, or an acceptable number of such deaths.  What I AM saying is that the numbers of unarmed black men shot dead by police each year is too low, by many orders of magnitude, to support BLM's assertion that these deaths represent a planned or systemic attempt at genocide.  It's a preposterous position - really ludicrous when you look at the data.  But so many people don't look, or don't understand that one in a billion is not a very big number. 

At least here on UM we're all smart enough to see through the propaganda, right?

About 99.95% of police go their entire careers never shooting an unarmed black person.  On an average day in the States about 99.999 999% of police fail to kill a single unarmed black man.  For a systematically racist institution, with weapons and training and carte blanche to slaughter any of the 50 million black people out there, they're not very good at it.

1 Even interactions that never happened.  Or were actually black vs. black.  But who cares?! there's a fiction to maintain and anyone who challenges it is racist.  

Edited by Tom1200
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seemed fair to me. Wonder if he still has the money to pay the fines.

I can't get over how he still keeps saying he's innocent.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 1:20 AM, Autochthon1990 said:

Seems fair, nobody but him got hurt, but at the same time he molested race relations with this. Now any far-right ******* can say 'lol hate crimes are all fake, look at Jusse' and his friends will eat it up. 

Certainly not all hate crimes are fake but there has been several hate crime hoax over the past few years. I read about a new one every month or so, 

https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/the-list-of-bogus-hate-crimes-in-trump-era-is-long/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/03/eleven-hate-crime-hoaxes-alec-torres/

• Like 3