Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Vividly Remembers Past Life as WWI Pilot

Still Waters

A UK man claims that a hypnosis session triggered vivid memories of his past life as an airplane photographer and gunner during World War One.

Steve Mulligan was born in 1961, in the city of Manchester, but also has very clear memories of growing up in Llandudno, Wales, in the beginning of the 20th century. He claims that he grew up as Sydney Sutcliffe, and died at the age of 24, after his plane was shut down on the Western Front during WWI. He always had these strange memories that played out in black and white, of him looking down from high up in the sky, but he could never really make sense of them. And then he went in for a hypnosis session and discovered that he was remembering his past life.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/man-vividly-remembers-past-life-as-wwi-pilot.html

Man who remembers past life as WWI pilot visits 'his own grave in Llandudno'

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-who-remembers-past-life-23285339?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Very fascinating. It's really great when they recall verifiable details. I by now have hear many such stories and I am a believer in reincarnation from the spiritual teachings I have come to most respect also.

Papameter Reading

85% Paranormal    10% Contrived Memories     5%  Hoax

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

A UK man claims that a hypnosis session triggered vivid memories of his past life as an airplane photographer and gunner during World War One.

Steve Mulligan was born in 1961, in the city of Manchester, but also has very clear memories of growing up in Llandudno, Wales, in the beginning of the 20th century. He claims that he grew up as Sydney Sutcliffe, and died at the age of 24, after his plane was shut down on the Western Front during WWI. He always had these strange memories that played out in black and white, of him looking down from high up in the sky, but he could never really make sense of them. And then he went in for a hypnosis session and discovered that he was remembering his past life.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/man-vividly-remembers-past-life-as-wwi-pilot.html

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-who-remembers-past-life-23285339?

Why did`nt he  remember his name. 

Funny how the details he mentioned about his former life are easily found in numerous books and articles from years ago.

Mr. Sutcliffe is semi famous due to events leading up to and after his death :

The mission that they had been on was classified a “Distant Offensive Patrol”; they were headed home when they ran into a small@ group of German planes. Sutcliffe and McKenna were at the back of their squadron when they were singled out and swarmed. According to German records, they took out four of their seven attackers before their plane was shot down – a shot that was credited to a man named Vizefeldwebel Hans Oberlander, who ultimately would go on to survive the war.

After the skirmish, the German forces buried the two British airmen with full military honours. Their funeral was attended by other British soldiers who were being held captive by the same German unit that buried their associates, and at some point, photos were taken of the ceremony that later found their way back to the families in England. Word of their deaths – and the funeral service – was passed on by Sergeant T. Nixon, who attended the funeral before being returned to England.

His German captors had also instructed Nixon to report back to his unit, and share the appreciation of the Germans for an honourable fight, and to make sure he spoke of the bravery the two men had shown in the air.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20131020/282033324930736

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9781473861046&i=stripbooks&linkCode=qs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/warriorgirl3.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/stories-of-chivalry-and-compassion-from-the-battlefields-of-world-war-one-d-day-9/amp/

https://www.gunmart.net/militaria/resources/military-books/welsh-at-war

http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/cabaretrouge.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

He always had these strange memories that played out in black and white

I wonder why that was.

Nothing to do with old footage being black and white, eh?

• Like 4

Wonder what succeeding Mulligans think of this guy? Maybe round up members of the family and grill him on more private details? 

Otherwise, the headline is more like, "Man with vivid imagination recreates war story" 

I mean yea, it's completely out of the realm of human understanding to claim you were a person that served in a heavily documented war. You could never invent your own fantasy out of all that. He even guessed a name of a soldier that really lived! No person could guess an easily researchable soldier's name. 

Right... 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2

IMO and experience this is not reincarnation  but something which can easily be mistaken for that .

We all have the potential to connect to the cosmic conscious which, among other abilities, gives us the abilty to enter into the stored memories of all people living or dead This can either make you an interactive participant or you can live from  the other person's perspective  Eg I could go back and become my father or I could interact with my father as if he was still alive and conscious. You can do this with any person from  the past and even with beings from  other planets because all are interconnected and stored by the cosmic consciousness 

In part this can be learned and trained through discipline and practice,   but often it is just an unconscious connection 

Normally it occurs during dreams  but with some people the connection becomes strong enough to exist while they are conscious.

I've flown a  Sopwith Camel fighter inww1 worked in a hospital in the 1930s and become ordinary characters from many times The most common for me is the Napoleonic period but the connections go back to ancient times 

Real or imagined, many of the things learned can be verified . 

As well as being entertaining it s a great way to learn history, politics, sociology, etc. through the lives of people from the past  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

*snip*

We all have the potential to connect to the cosmic conscious…

You forgot to start this bit with ‘IMO’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

I've flown a  Sopwith Camel fighter inww1 worked in a hospital in the 1930s and become ordinary characters from many times The most common for me is the Napoleonic period but the connections go back to ancient times 

Real or imagined, many of the things learned can be verified

Hi Walker

Don't take it personally but if I am going to fly somewhere or have medical assistance I am not going to look for a guy the dreamed about doing it over someone who does it for a living. Tell you what I will call Aussie news and let them know that you will be flying a sopwith tomorrow and they can film it and we will see it on the world news channels, that would be evidence and I can likely arrange for a couple of Japanese Zeros to attack you just so it puts you in the right mood for flying by the seat of your pants.:D

Edited by jmccr8
it
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Fascinating story. 

I've no need to instantly pass judgement and agree or disagree... that compulsion doesn't creep up as often as it used to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

You forgot to start this bit with ‘IMO’.

umm I did

IMO and experience this is not reincarnation  but something which can easily be mistaken for that .

I even put  a space,  before continuing, to make this clear. 

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Don't take it personally but if I am going to fly somewhere or have medical assistance I am not going to look for a guy the dreamed about doing it over someone who does it for a living. Tell you what I will call Aussie news and let them know that you will be flying a sopwith tomorrow and they can film it and we will see it on the world news channels, that would be evidence and I can likely arrange for a couple of Japanese Zeros to attack you just so it puts you in the right mood for flying by the seat of your pants.:D

Neither would I. That's not what I am talking about'

I'm talking about flying through the mind of an airman as he uses the various instruments  from fuel mix, control tick and even the blip button to slow the air speed 

The Camel was a very simple aircraft to fly but very difficult to keep control of, especially if you didn't get the fuel mix right and stalled it   The person I "flew  with" was a very experienced pilot and we did some Immelman rolls. but stalling them was a common problem with new pilots, and recovering from  a stall, and consequent spin, was very difficult . 

BUT even so  I would rather   get help from  a person who had this sort of experience with medicine  than one who had no medical knowledge at all.

If i had to, I'd rather fly with a person who learned to fly in this way,  than a person who had no idea at  all 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

'm talking about flying through the mind of an airman as he uses the various instruments  from fuel mix, control tick and even the blip button to slow the air speed 

The Camel was a very simple aircraft to fly but very difficult to keep control of, especially if you didn't get the fuel mix right and stalled it   The person I "flew  with" was a very experienced pilot and we did some Immelman rolls. but stalling them was a common problem with new pilots, and recovering from  a stall, and consequent spin, was very difficult . 

Hi Walker

The simple form of my comments is that no matter what you can dream you are you do not actually know what you are talking about, I have dreamed I have bedded several harems of women when in fact it's only been 2 harems.:whistle:

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

The simple form of my comments is that no matter what you can dream you are you do not actually know what you are talking about, I have dreamed I have bedded several harems of women when in fact it's only been 2 harems.:whistle:

If they are only dreams then they are just entertaining and fascinating, but where they can  be shown to be factually correct, or teach you something you didn't know  then  they are also more than just dreams 

• Haha 3

On 3/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, Mr Walker said:

If they are only dreams then they are just entertaining and fascinating, but where they can  be shown to be factually correct, or teach you something you didn't know  then  they are also more than just dreams 

It is easy to laugh at this statement, but a lot harder to break down it's internal logic.

Belief  (and disbelief) has it's purposes, but they must bend to demonstrable truths. 

Laughing may make you feel more comfortable,  safe and secure,  but you shouldn't get too comfortable, unless you can disprove the logic of such a statement 

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Laughing may make you feel more comfortable,  safe and secure,  but you shouldn't get too comfortable,

Hi Walker

How do you get this safe and secure angle, I generally don't dream maybe a couple of times a year and usually has some influence from what is going on in my waken state. I haven't had a sleep learning experience in the sense you are speaking of but after a good sleep am usually refreshed enough to take on the challenges of the day.

• Like 5

When a person laughs at the idea of dreams being more than dreams (or any other slightly unusual perspective on something) it often means that they don't believe such things are possible.

That disbelief is often founded on a need to feel safe and secure, in a known, ordinary and predictable world.  When you have no evidences yourself you are open to belief or disbelief You can choose disbelief for  many reasons but a lot of people disbelieve to feel safe.

Its safer  (for many)  not to believe in psychic abilities, ghost, angels, etc  It is also easier, and keeps a life simpler and  less complicated.

On the other hand, some believers embrace them too readily, because the idea of these things makes them feel safer.  

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

When a person laughs at the idea of dreams being more than dreams (or any other slightly unusual perspective on something) it often means that they don't believe such things are possible.

Hi Walker

I laughed but didn't have any emojis left, I laugh because you are funny not because I am scared and rest assured I feel quite safe. Why not open an academy for sleep learning if it is all that reliable, just think one wouldn't need to wake up to go to school and never have to worry about falling asleep in class, sounds great to bad I have already been schooled or I would consider it as long as I can get a certificate or degree out of it.

Yes there are isolated incidents where someone woke up with and answer or created a song but that is not the norm because we learn by experience and the more of our bodies that we use to learn the greater the benefit because some of the things we learn are about sounds, vibrations or what we sense physically while doing something. I had one fellow that worked for me and in his mind he could build anything yet when doing siding or anything that had to do with measuring I had to work him because cutting something a half an inch short of reality doesn't make for a good finished product and wasting material is coming out of his paycheck. I think he slept on that and improved.

11 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Its safer  (for many)  not to believe in psychic abilities, ghost, angels, etc  It is also easier, and keeps a life simpler and  less complicated.

Interesting now sleeping is right up there with psychic abilities, ghosts, angels and bigfoot on the paranormal scale.:whistle:

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

I laughed but didn't have any emojis left, I laugh because you are funny not because I am scared and rest assured I feel quite safe. Why not open an academy for sleep learning if it is all that reliable, just think one wouldn't need to wake up to go to school and never have to worry about falling asleep in class, sounds great to bad I have already been schooled or I would consider it as long as I can get a certificate or degree out of it.

Yes there are isolated incidents where someone woke up with and answer or created a song but that is not the norm because we learn by experience and the more of our bodies that we use to learn the greater the benefit because some of the things we learn are about sounds, vibrations or what we sense physically while doing something. I had one fellow that worked for me and in his mind he could build anything yet when doing siding or anything that had to do with measuring I had to work him because cutting something a half an inch short of reality doesn't make for a good finished product and wasting material is coming out of his paycheck. I think he slept on that and improved.

Interesting now sleeping is right up there with psychic abilities, ghosts, angels and bigfoot on the paranormal scale.:whistle:

Ok Thanks i accept that whole heartedly as a logical reason for your laughter .

A couple of times I almost volunteered for sleep and dream  research in universities in the capital city but it would have been logistically too difficult, given it was a 420 mile road trip  each way or a couple of hundred dollars for each air flight 

Im not really interested inbeing a guru in any area, perhaps because I was self taught as a child .However I do like to point out to people that the human mind and senses are far more capable and  adaptive than most people realise.  We don't just have half a dozen senses, we have around 20, including propriocetion, which most humans don't even realise they use all the time.

Sleeping isn't psychic in itself, it's the unusual abilities sometimes demonstrated while sleeping which are.

Some people assume that there are no actual psychic abilities but of course there are and we all demonstrate some of them all the time. It is just that some are recognised and understood by science while others are not as yet   Self discipline and control of body and mind is one psychic abilty,  very sensitive emotional perception is another 

I would say that being able to pre choose a constructed dreamscape  is another, as is being able to be fully conscious while dreaming and asleep  I would say that, being able to consciously send your mind out from your body and accurately  observe your neighbourhood, including things you couldn't see while awake,  while asleep, is another 

I wonder how many people actually believe that you can enter a dream totally aware and conscious then direct, control and shape every element of that dream That such dreams can be as real/detailed as what your mind perceives while awake  (sound, taste, feel, touch, abilty to read and write  etc.)  but that everything in them is alterable by will and discipline  Ie you can walk through a wall or become another person or animal or become invisible etc. You can stop a bullet with your mind or simply make a person disappear by thought  You can explore the world, solar system and galaxy  night after night.

Some would see these as psychic abilities and in a way they are  but the y are perfectly normal capabilities of a human mind.   

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, Mr Walker said:

That disbelief is often founded on a need to feel safe and secure, in a known, ordinary and predictable world.  When you have no evidences yourself you are open to belief or disbelief You can choose disbelief for  many reasons but a lot of people disbelieve to feel safe.

On the other hand, some believers embrace them too readily, because the idea of these things makes them feel safer.  

Some use sleep and dreams as an escape from the actuality they do live with. I sure did in my first marriage as it was void of so much. In my dreams it could be however I wanted. But, this wasn’t living it was escape and denial. 

For me, (in my 20s) enter professional Psychotherapy the therapeutic approach of exploring dreams and facing oneself did become a viable path to personal healing and taking responsibility for building the life I actually want. In this sense, I agree that dreams can be proactive tools for personal growth/healing. In fact, the time and money I invested in this (4 times a week for a year) was money well spent and I accomplished a lot of healing in that time. Much gratitude to Jung and Freud. 

Now, my sleep hygiene is focused on being refreshed, rejuvenated and healthy mentally and physically to live a life of wellness, connection and meaning as opposed to sickness, escape and to show up for and want the life I do have. I still keep a dream journal and at times in my life when  my unconscious gives rise to the shadows I delight in applying the tools I learned so long ago to heal and transform myself. 

All the best.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2022 at 5:26 PM, Mr Walker said:

given it was a 420 mile road trip 

Hi Walker

I have had 420 road trips however the mileage was insignificant.:lol:

Im not really interested inbeing a guru

I think I can safely say that you have succeeded.:tu:

We don't just have half a dozen senses, we have around 20, including propriocetion, which most humans don't even realise they use all the time.

I did specify a number and when I said senses then they are inclusive.

Sleeping isn't psychic in itself, it's the unusual abilities sometimes demonstrated while sleeping which are.

Then you are saying they are psychic.

Some people assume that there are no actual psychic abilities but of course there are and we all demonstrate some of them all the time. It is just that some are recognised and understood by science while others are not as yet   Self discipline and control of body and mind is one psychic abilty,  very sensitive emotional perception is another 

Some people myself included expect tangible researched evidences that psychic abilities exist and as of yet there is no evidence.

I would say that being able to pre choose a constructed dreamscape  is another, as is being able to be fully conscious while dreaming and asleep  I would say that, being able to consciously send your mind out from your body and accurately  observe your neighbourhood, including things you couldn't see while awake,  while asleep, is another 

Thing is life is not preconstructed and has unknowns that we have to react to, your dreams are constructs that you have created to fit your reactions so there are no unknowns so not like real life.

I wonder how many people actually believe that you can enter a dream totally aware and conscious then direct, control and shape every element of that dream That such dreams can be as real/detailed as what your mind perceives while awake  (sound, taste, feel, touch, abilty to read and write  etc.)  but that everything in them is alterable by will and discipline  Ie you can walk through a wall or become another person or animal or become invisible etc. You can stop a bullet with your mind or simply make a person disappear by thought  You can explore the world, solar system and galaxy  night after night.

I think lots of people are aware of and do employ lucid dreaming, I also think that they understand that it is a construct and not real.

Some would see these as psychic abilities and in a way they are  but the y are perfectly normal capabilities of a human mind. 

Agreed there is nothing psychic about dreams but one can dream that they are psychic in their dream and not when they are awake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Some people myself included expect tangible researched evidences that psychic abilities exist and as of yet there is no evidence.

Thing is life is not preconstructed and has unknowns that we have to react to, your dreams are constructs that you have created to fit your reactions so there are no unknowns so not like real life.

I think lots of people are aware of and do employ lucid dreaming, I also think that they understand that it is a construct and not real.

Agreed there is nothing psychic about dreams but one can dream that they are psychic in their dream and not when they are awake.

As you, Sean and I would have made an adventure of driving the 420 miles one way and flown back. I could think of nothing more fun than going on an adventure with hubby. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

As you, Sean and I would have made an adventure of driving the 420 miles one way and flown back. I could think of nothing more fun than going on an adventure with hubby. 

Hi Sherapy

Plenty of times some friends and I would drive 180-350 miles to go for coffee and a meal the 420 was more of a bud thing.:innocent:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a couple of hypnotists try but I am not the kind of guy that submits his will to anyone so neither were able to put me under. That said hypnotism is not reliable as the types of questions or suggestions can be leading and memories can be influenced.

Edited by Tiggs
Removed quote from a post about regression hypnosis which has been removed.
  • Like 4

On 3/20/2022 at 5:04 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

To answer the basics 

I didn't volunteer for sleep /dream study because it would have required regular long drives (a day each way and an overnight stay, was   too expensive and I didn't have the time 

I don't think I've tried to TEACH anyone, anything, here. 

Relating your experiences isn't teaching another how to do the same .

So, not a guru (teacher)  

I am psychic, and this is known to many because those abilities have been conclusively demonstrated to many in my community 

My point was that dreams are not psychic in themselves.

Only when the y are proven to have other qualities, like accurate   prophecy or observing  at a distance  are the y psychic 

So if i dream that the next day I will have a fatal crash if i follow my normal route to work  and the dream shows exactly how and when it will occur that is psychic  IF the accident occurs, but I avoided it by heeding the dream 

If I dream I am observing and listening in to a group of people a long distance away  and the next day the y confirm that my observations were totally accurate, that is psychic 

If I dream where something has been lost by a person and I locate it and return it, that is psychic 

There is plenty of evidence for some psychic abilities  Indeed some have now been explained by science and are no longer considered paranormal.

All we have of waking life and dreams is memory, and the memories of each are identical neurologically Thus our dreams are as real to us psychologically as our waking experiences, especially where our dreams are as real in quality as waking perception ie you taste, smell, feel and  sense, in just as much detail while dreaming, as while awake.   

Imagine having the same control over a dream as you do in waking life but, in addition, being able to do ANYTHING just by willing it.

That's controlled lucid dreaming  The only way you can tell you are not awake is the fact that you can fly, walk through walls, make things,  including yourself or anything else,  appear/ disappear, are immune to harm. etc. 

Edited by Mr Walker

• The topic was locked