Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seth Andrews New Book on Christianity

Phantom309

Saw this meme on Twitter this morning - the wording taken from Seth Andrews new book "Christianity Made Me Talk Like an Idiot". 

I think Andrews really nailed it, esp. on the first couple paragraphs when he states it's "the product of primitive times and primitive minds" and, "At its core, it is a fear cult". 

Apparently he was a Christian for 30 years before he got a big blast of clarity and emerged from the "dark side".

I'm proud of him, and I think its time to get his book for a nice enjoyable late night read, that I'm sure of.

The Fear Cult.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It is surprising how many christians are unaware/refusing that their religion have any relation to judaism, eventhough that should be plainly evident considering that large parts of the bible is essentially a retelling of the supposed history of the jewish people.

I remember once talking to someone who refused to believe Jesus was a jew, despite the bible plainly saying so. Go figure.

There is a American sect of Evangelical Christians that call themselves Messianic Jews because they ape (and I really mean "ape") Jewish forms and prayers. They have the real Jews p***ed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

There is a American sect of Evangelical Christians that call themselves Messianic Jews because they ape (and I really mean "ape") Jewish forms and prayers. They have the real Jews p***ed

I think its a safe bet that the people who wrote the Torah would be bewildered by the sheer number of different sects that have sprung up around it. The two biggest religions in the world today, christianity and islam, have their origins in jewish mythology............ whether they like it or not !

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

Saw this meme on Twitter this morning - the wording taken from Seth Andrews new book "Christianity Made Me Talk Like an Idiot". 

I think Andrews really nailed it, esp. on the first couple paragraphs when he states it's "the product of primitive times and primitive minds" and, "At its core, it is a fear cult". 

Apparently he was a Christian for 30 years before he got a big blast of clarity and emerged from the "dark side".

I'm proud of him, and I think its time to get his book for a nice enjoyable late night read, that I'm sure of.

The Fear Cult.jpeg

Actually it is  a very well drafted psychological appeal to evolved cognitive traits in humans, such as self  awareness and the doubts  fears and questions that self  awareness raises 

It's success lies in its almost universal appeal to basic human needs  It provides a crutch for the injured and weak, and further  empowerment for the strong 

It is only one way to connect god or to create faith but it's connection to historical events/empires,  spread it widely.

It is a little outdated in some parts of it (because social/civil laws, rules, values  and customs, have changed  over time)   but capable of being modernised and adapted  (as it is constantly being )  It's core messages are as relevant today as at any time in human history 

It has healed and empowered people for  2000 years (as other positive faiths can do) and  tis has been testified to by millions of individuals over time. 

You don't have to be a creationist or even belong to a church. Faith, and connection to god,  protects heals and empowers.

And, of course, one man's idiocy is another's profound truth.

Edited by Mr Walker

45 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It is surprising how many christians are unaware/refusing that their religion have any relation to judaism, eventhough that should be plainly evident considering that large parts of the bible is essentially a retelling of the supposed history of the jewish people.

I remember once talking to someone who refused to believe Jesus was a jew, despite the bible plainly saying so. Go figure.

There are lots of people who know very little history, let alone the history of religions in the world.  Judaism evolved from earlier faiths, and Christianity evolved from  Judaism.

ALL of the first  Christians were Jewish, as was Christ,  Saul/ Paul was the pivoting point, and the founder of  a Christianity  distinct from Judaism   Christ wanted to reform Judaism. Paul founded a breakaway faith.

Edited by Mr Walker

32 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think its a safe bet that the people who wrote the Torah would be bewildered by the sheer number of different sects that have sprung up around it. The two biggest religions in the world today, christianity and islam, have their origins in jewish mythology............ whether they like it or not !

True and each adapted laws, cultural  directives etc. based around various additional cultural practices 

Eg Christianity had a lot of pagan influence on it, while Islam reflected the culture of its source. 

5 hours ago, Piney said:

If you asked a Messianic Jew they would tell you they are following Judaism. In fact, many Messianic Jews are former Jews who converted to Christianity (and therefore don't even view what they are doing as a "conversion", since they believe they are following in the footsteps of the first Jesus-disciples who were also Jews. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

If you asked a Messianic Jew they would tell you they are following Judaism. In fact, many Messianic Jews are former Jews who converted to Christianity (and therefore don't even view what they are doing as a "conversion", since they believe they are following in the footsteps of the first Jesus-disciples who were also Jews. 

The Jewish idea of the Messiah and the Christian one are 2 very different bunnies.

About half of the Maronites are of Jewish descent but they still call themselves Christians.

I'll go with what my Jewish friends who I went to Quaker school with and the local Rabbi thinks. They are American Evangelicals. Not Jews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

I think it depends on the individual church. I certainly think some Christians would take it too far and see it as a fear cult, but for most Christians fear plays very little part in their daily worship, so it feels wrong to describe it as such. As an ex-Christian (converted into Christianity at 19, deconverted at 34), the message of Christianity is about a broken relationship with God, and how humans are unable to bridge the relationship gap on our own, thus the need for Jesus.

The reasons I became a Christian were not due to fear, but due to low self esteem, and Christianity scratched an itch that said God loved me despite the fact that I didn't love myself. It helped me through a lot of things and will forever be a fond aspect to my past for that reason. That open-armed acceptance of all regardless of how we feel about ourselves is a greater evangelism tool than fear ever will be. At least that is how I see it :) 

But hey, I hope Seth Andrews makes a load of money from his new book...

~ Regards, PA

I agree. I think many like to define Christianity by seeing how those who worship the Bible view themselves and others, but do not understand the fulness of Christ.

I feel that God knows all things, and in the person of Christ (who is one with God), he is declaring that he is taking full responsibility for all sin that has come about by allowing humankind to have complete free will. He knows the depths and extent of suffering the guilt, shame, and condemnation of sin. He demonstrates his faith, love, and power to overcome that death, while also having the power and ability to grant forgiveness to any and all who seek that forgiveness and be freed from their Karmic debt (and this is a whole 'nother topic).  People believe in eternal damnation because they worship the bible, but Karmic debt and reincarnation are NOT inconsistent with Christianity.

I think Christ came at the time he did to put an end to one religious practice and begin a new understanding of redemption. He thereafter gave only two commandments:

1. Love the lord your God with all you heart, and with all your soul, and all your mind.

2. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Christianity is so simple that even children can understand it, but following those two commandments is not as simple as it is to understand them.

Just a few of my thoughts,

Sojo

Edited by Sojo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Piney said:

It started out as a Jewish doomsday cult and became a Roman state religion.

And somewhere in the middle was Christ.

19 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

The Fear Cult.jpeg

I think, and I could be wrong, but at the core of Christ's message, is love.

And, just because some wrong-uns, took that Realised State and turned it into something else, does not, in any way, shape, or form, render His Gospel any less beautiful.

One has to see the difference between Christ, His message, and Christianity, as it stands today.

Please do not, throw the baby, (Jesus) out with the bath water.

Man made you stupid, Christ offers salvation.

15 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think, but I could be wrong, but the profits of the OT were probs, some of the most holy folks around at that time..

Yet, at the time of Christ, had become some of the most corrupt, folks of the time.

And so, was Christ following in that tradition?

Was Buddha completely cut-off from His traditions?

3 hours ago, Piney said:

The Jewish idea of the Messiah and the Christian one are 2 very different bunnies.

Don't both groups believe that when "He" returns, there will be peace on Earth?

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Don't both groups believe that when "He" returns, there will be peace on Earth?

Jews only believe in a mortal Messiah.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

And somewhere in the middle was Christ.

"Christ" is a pronoun and "his" teachings are actually Alexandrian Greco-Buddhism with Zoroastrian duality added, which were attributed to him long after his death.

The historic Jesus was nothing more than a gibberish doomsayer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I think, but I could be wrong, but the profits of the OT were probs, some of the most holy folks around at that time..

Hi Crazy Horse

If memory serves me correctly Jesus made a whip out of a rope to drive the profits out of the church. The prophets were another matter.:tu:

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Piney said:

"Christ" is a pronoun and "his" teachings are actually Alexandrian Greco-Buddhism with Zoroastrian duality added, which were attributed to him long after his death.

The historic Jesus was nothing more than a gibberish doomsayer.

Yeah...

I understood them to be important, but..

Universal.

That's far-out, man..

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Jews only believe in a mortal Messiah.

I have no idea what a "mortal Massiah" is, but, I hope Hes' better than the last one...

20 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I have no idea what a "mortal Massiah" is, but, I hope Hes' better than the last one...

They are waiting for a teacher and king from the line of David, but one that is a mortal man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yeah...

I understood them to be important, but..

Universal.

That's far-out, man..

It wasn't universal. More syncretist. My sect of Buddism is non-dualistic.

Matthew was written by a Zoroastrian convert, probably a Roman, who was exposed to the Greco-Buddhist teachings of the Therapeutae, ascetics who wandered around the Middle East. Not Matthew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

...The prophets were another matter.:tu:

Relics consisting of bodily remains deemed not worthy for heaven...

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

About half of the Maronites are of Jewish descent but they still call themselves Christians.

I'll go with what my Jewish friends who I went to Quaker school with and the local Rabbi thinks. They are American Evangelicals. Not Jews.

Of course Jews will say that Messianic Judaism is just a sect of Christianity. I would not expect anything different. Nevertheless, the Messianic Jews are primarily Jewish converts, and THEY would disagree. I'm not here to argue who is right (I have no dog in this fight), I'm just relaying what the Jews who converted to Messianic Judaism would say.

If your primary rebuttal to that is "other Jews won't agree with them", then consider the response if a Christian were on this forum telling you that a Mormon or 7th Day Adventist is "not really a Christian", would you accept that as an answer? I've had years of experience on this forum and would suggest that anyone doing this would be told in no uncertain terms (not necessarily by you, but someone on this forum) that they are using a No True Scotsman Fallacy, and likely this would be followed up with claims of intolerance towards anyone who doesn't hold their particular theology as gospel (for lack of a better term).

I'm not trying to start a fight, just letting you know what position I am coming from when I say "they are Messianic Jews".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1