Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Phoenix Lights UFO mystery celebrates its 25th anniversary

On another forum, a witness by the name of Tom King wrote the following description of his experience:

I witnessed the Phoenix Lights in 1997 and it was incredible to see. It was the night of the Halle-Bop comet, it was actually the best night to see it. My brother and I went up on the mountain across the street from our house so we could get a better look at it. My brother seen it first cause he was facing NE and I was facing SW because we didn’t know what side it was going to be visible on. I remember that night like it was last night. When you experience something like that it sticks with you. My brother said “WTF is that?” and as I turned around I seen the biggest craft I’ve ever seen in my life. It glided/floated over us about a football field length above our heads. The left wing of it was directly over us. The size was absolutely amazing, it was massive. I’ve been on the USS Intrepid that’s parked on the Hudson River in NYC and I lived in Virginia Beach and before 9/11 there were 3-4 aircraft carriers parked at the Norfolk Naval base and they are massive craft. The size of this Phoenix craft you could fit 3-3.5 carriers on each “wing “ of this craft. It was absolutely massive. It was a chevron V shaped craft that was gunmetal black/grey.  If you go on Wikipedia and type in Phoenix Lights there is a rendering that is almost perfect to what we seen. It had 3 lights on each bottom side of each wing and a little bigger amber one that was at the tip of the craft. Many witnesses said that it was completely silent but we heard a buzzing/humming sound that sounded exactly like high voltage power lines. The craft also had some sort of distortion around it. Like when you pump gas into your car and you see the fumes distorting the air around the nozzle. The craft was only going at maybe 15/20mph and I’m taking a guess cause I obviously couldn’t measure it’s speed. It went in a SE direction heading straight to SkyHarbor Airport. The people in the control tower must of seen it. I spoke to another witness that was even closer to it a few miles SE of the airport and he said that it came a little bit east of the airport so the people there had to of seen it. He told me that he seen some kind of lava type substance coming from the bottom of the craft and he was right below it and was freaked out cause it looked like this lava like substance was going to drip on him and his car. We didn’t see this substance but from what he explained to me he was less than a hundred feet from it above him. I can only account for what I witnessed. I have shared my story on a couple other videos. I only told my parents and my best friend after this happened because I knew that they would believe me. Plus it was on the news that night or the next and I told them about it as soon as I got home. My brother never told anyone. It was different times back then and saying that you seen a UFO wasn’t going to be too good for you. People either thought that you were a nut job or you were on drugs. I wish that we had smartphones back then cause I would of gotten some great video/pictures of this massive craft. We didn’t walk around with cameras back then unless you were on vacation or some trip that you took. We used 35mm film then. I think that a digital camera was out in 1997 but it was a 1.3mp camera and if it was out not many people had them. I can still close my eyes and see this craft in my mind to this day. I still look up into the night sky every night to see if I can see anything like this again but I still haven’t since then. Thousands of people seen this craft because people were already looking up into the night sky that night because of the Halle-Bop comet. Our governor even seen it but didn’t admit it until he was out of office. At that time the government here made a joke of it and people got p***ed because they know what they seen and it wasn’t flares or anything that could be explained. It was a massive craft and people reported that it was a mile across from wing tip to wing tip and I would definitely agree with them. I still haven’t seen anything man made of this size to this day. I’m not even talking about a aircraft but anything that we have on the sea’s or ground. The size of it is what still freaks me out. It was a ominous feeling to see this thing. It was my mind telling me that this thing wasn’t made here. If it wasn’t that massive size then maybe I would of thought that it was some kind of secret black budget US craft. But why would you test fly it over the 6th largest city in the country on the night of a comet that people would already be looking up into the sky? Obviously I will probably never find out what this thing was or where it came from but I will definitely never forget it. I feel so lucky to off seen it, it was amazing, ominous and exciting to see. To be honest it was a bit scary to see something of that size just floating by in the night sky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, good share. Get ready for the "it was just floaters in your eye" comments. But, I'm sure you already know that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

On another forum, a witness by the name of Tom King wrote the following description of his experience:

I witnessed the Phoenix Lights in 1997 ....

Cool story. I'm sure it's very popular in certain forums.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Happy 25th anniversary aircraft and flares! :clap:

And before anyone one wants to claim otherwise; please realise that there were two separate events on the same evening which were both quite different.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

It has been 25 years since a mass UFO sightings over Phoenix, Arizona captivated the world.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/356223/phoenix-lights-ufo-mystery-celebrates-its-25th-anniversary

I thought this story had been laid to rest years ago as flares during a training exercise. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

Happy 25th anniversary aircraft and flares! :clap:

And before anyone one wants to claim otherwise; please realise that there were two separate events on the same evening which were both quite different.

Indeed there were two different events that somehow morphed into one. There was an excellent analysis on this very board years back that really broke it down into basic elements. I’ll see if I can find it. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, badeskov said:

I thought this story had been laid to rest years ago as flares during a training exercise. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Yep.

The first event was very likely a formation of aircraft.

The second; slow falling illumination flares.

The rest: Human psychology and physiology.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The "Phoenix Lights" Are No Mystery

On March 13 of every year, a news outlets run the annual story of the "mystery" surrounding the lights that appeared over Phoenix in 1997. People seem to forget, or simply ignore, that there's no real mystery about it.

The non-mystery was explained at lenght in a 1998 New Times story by Tony Ortega. What follows is the Cliffs Notes explanation:

There were two events that night: a "vee pattern" of lights that flew across the state north-to-south, which crossed Phoenix around 8:30 p.m., and a second set of nine lights that seemed to hover over Phoenix, before apparently disappearing.

As for the first event, a man in Scottsdale looking through a large Dobsonian telescope identified the lights as being attached to planes.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/the-phoenix-lights-are-no-mystery-6661825?storyPage=2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

Yeah, good share. Get ready for the "it was just floaters in your eye" comments. But, I'm sure you already know that.

Floaters? Now that is the most ridiculous explanation yet for the Phoenix lights which were well proven to be aircraft and then flares ( 2 events ) keep up please.

If you have evidence that is wrong and it was a case of countless people had eye floaters please do share it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, the13bats said:

Im one hell of a cynical skeptic but not once on here have i called any blind faith true believer an idiot or clown no matter how credulous or rude they were.

You posted a long winded 2nd party story of an alleged witteness making completely unsupported claims about a decades old very well beyond doubt debunked UFO case that you blindly believe and call non believers names for accepting the facts over unsupported made up stories and call us names...:tu::rolleyes:

A little extra context- probably 95% of all the UFO claims, stories, etc over the past 70 years or so are just hoaxes, embellishments, mis-identifications, etc. so the majority of the time a skeptics POV is correct and wins out. It's the 5% of all cases that interest me.

Now if someone jumps to the off-the-cuff conclusion the Phoenix lights were nothing more than "eye floaters", or some other absurd conclusion, well, they would deserve such an unfortunate distinction. 

• Confused 1

@Phantom309 what do you think about the explanation that it was nothing more than a formation of aircraft and slow falling illumination flares?

On 3/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, Phantom309 said:

I witnessed the Phoenix Lights in 1997 and it was incredible to see. It was the night of the Halle-Bop comet, it was actually the best night to see it. My brother and I went up on the mountain across the street from our house so we could get a better look at it. My brother seen it first cause he was facing NE and I was facing SW because we didn’t know what side it was going to be visible on. I remember that night like it was last night. When you experience something like that it sticks with you. My brother said “WTF is that?” and as I turned around I seen the biggest craft I’ve ever seen in my life. It glided/floated over us about a football field length above our heads. The left wing of it was directly over us. The size was absolutely amazing, it was massive. I’ve been on the USS Intrepid that’s parked on the Hudson River in NYC and I lived in Virginia Beach and before 9/11 there were 3-4 aircraft carriers parked at the Norfolk Naval base and they are massive craft. The size of this Phoenix craft you could fit 3-3.5 carriers on each “wing “ of this craft. It was absolutely massive. It was a chevron V shaped craft that was gunmetal black/grey.  If you go on Wikipedia and type in Phoenix Lights there is a rendering that is almost perfect to what we seen. It had 3 lights on each bottom side of each wing and a little bigger amber one that was at the tip of the craft. Many witnesses said that it was completely silent but we heard a buzzing/humming sound that sounded exactly like high voltage power lines. The craft also had some sort of distortion around it. Like when you pump gas into your car and you see the fumes distorting the air around the nozzle. The craft was only going at maybe 15/20mph and I’m taking a guess cause I obviously couldn’t measure it’s speed. It went in a SE direction heading straight to SkyHarbor Airport. The people in the control tower must of seen it. I spoke to another witness that was even closer to it a few miles SE of the airport and he said that it came a little bit east of the airport so the people there had to of seen it. He told me that he seen some kind of lava type substance coming from the bottom of the craft and he was right below it and was freaked out cause it looked like this lava like substance was going to drip on him and his car. We didn’t see this substance but from what he explained to me he was less than a hundred feet from it above him. I can only account for what I witnessed. I have shared my story on a couple other videos. I only told my parents and my best friend after this happened because I knew that they would believe me. Plus it was on the news that night or the next and I told them about it as soon as I got home. My brother never told anyone. It was different times back then and saying that you seen a UFO wasn’t going to be too good for you. People either thought that you were a nut job or you were on drugs. I wish that we had smartphones back then cause I would of gotten some great video/pictures of this massive craft. We didn’t walk around with cameras back then unless you were on vacation or some trip that you took. We used 35mm film then. I think that a digital camera was out in 1997 but it was a 1.3mp camera and if it was out not many people had them. I can still close my eyes and see this craft in my mind to this day. I still look up into the night sky every night to see if I can see anything like this again but I still haven’t since then. Thousands of people seen this craft because people were already looking up into the night sky that night because of the Halle-Bop comet. Our governor even seen it but didn’t admit it until he was out of office. At that time the government here made a joke of it and people got p***ed because they know what they seen and it wasn’t flares or anything that could be explained. It was a massive craft and people reported that it was a mile across from wing tip to wing tip and I would definitely agree with them. I still haven’t seen anything man made of this size to this day. I’m not even talking about a aircraft but anything that we have on the sea’s or ground. The size of it is what still freaks me out. It was a ominous feeling to see this thing. It was my mind telling me that this thing wasn’t made here. If it wasn’t that massive size then maybe I would of thought that it was some kind of secret black budget US craft. But why would you test fly it over the 6th largest city in the country on the night of a comet that people would already be looking up into the sky? Obviously I will probably never find out what this thing was or where it came from but I will definitely never forget it. I feel so lucky to off seen it, it was amazing, ominous and exciting to see. To be honest it was a bit scary to see something of that size just floating by in the night sky.

I like your story but I am going to disagree with your observation a bit, well actually a lot. Hope you take it well.

You are telling us about the first event. There were two that night. You stated "it wasn’t flares". I agree because here you are confusing event 2 with event 1. I have to say that you being there and not knowing that the flares were event 2 and not what you saw surprises me a bit.

You mention "there is a rendering that is almost perfect to what we seen". Did you know that there was a video of event 1 and it shows that the lights are not in the pattern you describe? Did you know that others describe the shape and few match the video?

You mention "about a football field length above our heads". Did you know that most people thought it was high above Phoenix? Ley and a few thought low.

You mention "a little bigger amber one that was at the tip of the craft". Did you know that people mention 4 to 9 lights and colors from red to green to yellow to orange? Some say each light was actually a pair of lights next to each other.

This is interesting to me "we heard a buzzing/humming sound that sounded exactly like high voltage power lines". The sounds of planes flying by was mainly heard outside of city noises of Phoenix.

What I think is even more interesting is witnesses seeing the stars pass between the lights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, badeskov said:

Cheers,

Badeskov

Only the second event. This poster described the first even when a squadron of planes went over Phoenix.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

A little extra context- probably 95% of all the UFO claims, stories, etc over the past 70 years or so are just hoaxes, embellishments, mis-identifications, etc. so the majority of the time a skeptics POV is correct and wins out. It's the 5% of all cases that interest me.

Now if someone jumps to the off-the-cuff conclusion the Phoenix lights were nothing more than "eye floaters", or some other absurd conclusion, well, they would deserve such an unfortunate distinction. 

I've not seen this "eye floaters" story before. But the chances of something not being a mistaken identification or hoax are well below that 5% you mentioned,maybe 100 times smaller or even smaller.

The Phoenix Lights is one of the best explained stories and yet it lingers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

Im delighted you posted that the way you did, Stanton Friedman said something to that same effect and you guys are missing how incredibly flawed it really is.

Lets forget %s for a moment as its not really important as the glaring fact that of all the UFO sightings many have been explained debunked if you will beyond any doubts and a few remain unexplained yet never not once has any UFO sighting been proven to be otherworldly, "alien".

So back to your 5% which is actually much lower they are simply unexplained it doesnt mean its right to jump to any conclusion, how ridiculous it is to say, "i dont know what it really is so it must be aliens" yet that is what faith based true believers do.

Any time i ask for a person to post their best case example, something more than just a story something with evidence to support their claims i get crickets and tumbleweeds.

• Like 3

Again we have more witnesses that contradict other witnesses already posted in this thread.

One of the things that is clearly wrong in this latest group is that they claimed it was slow. Knowing the times it passed places in Arizona it is a simple computation to determine that the lights in event #1 traveled at 400mph. The lights were not going slow.

At best these witness accounts simply tell us that witnesses will give a wide variety of descriptions to the same event and often get the issues wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here we have a witness conflicting with the previous witnesses.

Great it shows that the low object story is wrong.

Let's keep these witnesses coming so that everyone can see that there is no agreement among the witnesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

And here we have a witness conflicting with the previous witnesses.

Great it shows that the low object story is wrong.

Let's keep these witnesses coming so that everyone can see that there is no agreement among the witnesses.

Ever more evidence of human psychology/physiology/fallibility.

@Phantom309 I’ll ask again:

What do you think about the explanation that it was nothing more than a formation of aircraft and slow falling illumination flares?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

Ever more evidence of human psychology/physiology/fallibility.

@Phantom309 I’ll ask again:

What do you think about the explanation that it was nothing more than a formation of aircraft and slow falling illumination flares?

Timothy, from all that I have seen and heard, the witnesses all indicated there were no jet engine sounds or anything of that nature. All indicated it was huge and moving very slow.....which runs contrary to flight characteristics as we understand it.

The flares were the 2nd event of the evening, occurring later on after the appearance of this craft - the craft from somewhere. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Phantom309 said:

Timothy, from all that I have seen and heard, the witnesses all indicated there were no jet engine sounds or anything of that nature. All indicated it was huge and moving very slow.....which runs contrary to flight characteristics as we understand it.

The flares were the 2nd event of the evening, occurring later on after the appearance of this craft - the craft from somewhere. 

So for your opinion to be correct we would require a proven ( which its not ) 3rd event and your witnesses to be blind to proven 1st and 2nd events

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked