Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still searching for Planet 9

Still Waters

The solar system has eight planets. In 2006, astronomers reclassified Pluto as a dwarf planet, the same class that contains Eris, Sedna, Quaoar, Ceres and perhaps many more solar system small bodies. These are defined approximately as bodies that orbit the sun but that are not massive enough (unlike regular planets) to gravitationally dominate their environments by clearing away material. Astronomers wonder, though, whether there might not really be a ninth planet previously undiscovered but lurking in the outer reaches of the solar system, perhaps in the giant Oort cloud of objects that begins hundreds of astronomical units (au) from the sun and extends outward.

The notion that there may be a ninth massive planet in the outer solar system has taken on new appeal with recent data that show that the orbital parameters of some small bodies beyond Neptune (their inclinations, perihelions, and retrograde motions) seem to behave as though they had been influenced by the gravity of a massive object in the outer solar system. Although these data suffer from observational biases and statistical uncertainties, they have triggered renewed interest in the idea of the presence of another planet.

https://phys.org/news/2022-03-planet.html

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ac2307

• Like 7

I just hope that if Planet 9 is out there they will discover it within my lifetime, because I'm very curious what they're gonna call it. 

My suggestions would be Persephone/Proserpina or Zagreus. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:55 AM, Orphalesion said:

I just hope that if Planet 9 is out there they will discover it within my lifetime, because I'm very curious what they're gonna call it. 

My suggestions would be Persephone/Proserpina or Zagreus. 

My suggestions: Gangleri, or Grimnir.

These are 2 nicknames for Odin. Gangleri means 'wanderer', and Grimnir means something like 'cloaked' or 'masked one'.

• Like 1

I'm very sceptical of a large planet nine somewhere out there in the solar system. But, it isn't impossible. It may not be very large at all if it exists. There may be a handful of undiscovered planets actually. We just don't know. One as large as they were hypothesizing a few years ago would be amazing. But, I am quite sceptical.

Hmm, planet 9 is insulting to Pluto and this should be referred to as Planet X, as it always has been.  Seems woke scientists decided otherwise.

3 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

We can't see it because it is a black hole.

Hmmm,   Ya maybe …a small black hole could match the effects/influence of a large unseen planet? ,gravitationally, (which is what is causing their wonderment). 

• Like 1

If its theoretical position was known the James Webb telescope could find it.

If it is there.

• 6 months later...

So does a ninth planet exist? If so, why haven't we spotted it yet? Is our universe so massive that it could hide a planet large enough to influence Uranus and Neptune?

When might it be finally discovered, and what tools would we need to see it?

This video explores all these questions and informs on this long-standing mystery.

Interesting Engineering

15mins.....

• Like 1

No!!! No 9th planet!!!   All planets correlate with us and our chakra system.  We are all connected, as above so below.  So 9th planet!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

So does a ninth planet exist?

No.

So does a ninth planet exist? If so, why haven't we spotted it yet? Is our universe so massive that it could hide a planet large enough to influence Uranus and Neptune?

When might it be finally discovered, and what tools would we need to see it?

This video explores all these questions and informs on this long-standing mystery.

Interesting Engineering

15mins.....

• Confused 1