Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaids in Japan – from hideous harbingers of violence to beautiful enchantresses

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

A report that scientists have begun tests on a 300-year-old “mermaid mummy” to identify its origins, has stimulated an interest in the existence of mermaids in Japanese folklore.

Tales of mermaids and their more dangerously seductive siren sisters, are firmly entrenched in cultural mythologies of many regions and can be found in medieval art and contemporary popular literature the world over.

In Japan, elements of belief and myth linked to the natural world have endured from prehistoric times as an important part of culture and tradition. But the mermaid, as imagined in the western psyche, does not appear in these accounts.

In Japanese folklore, there is a human fish creature with the mouth of a monkey that lives in the sea called a ningyo (the word in Japanese is composed of the characters for “person” and “fish”). An old Japanese belief was that eating the flesh of a ningyo could grant immortality.

https://theconversation.com/mermaids-in-japan-from-hideous-harbingers-of-violence-to-beautiful-enchantresses-179251

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/355970-ancient-mummified-‘mermaid’-to-be-examined-by-scientists

• Like 2

We'll see what the tests bring. The entity does not look like something that nature created through evolution. Not that I am an expert but... :-)

• Like 2

It will be interesting if the test results show that the mermaid is a real thing. But, I doubt that she is.

• Like 1

Sorry...

dupe.gif.c0796b4c00364e1ff5ecfb57dfd6251c.gif

No one knows if mermaids are good or evil. But since Disney's The Little Mermaid, was a good, beautiful Mermaid. Its in everyone head that all Mermaids are like Ariel

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, MissJatti said:

No one knows if mermaids are good or evil. But since Disney's The Little Mermaid, was a good, beautiful Mermaid. Its in everyone head that all Mermaids are like Ariel

Please dont blanket me in with that "everyone" for 40 plus years of my fiji mermaid gaffs none were cute lil sweetie pies.