Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there an 'anti-universe' that runs backwards in time ?

UM-Bot

:unsure:

Some people seem to have nothing better to do with their time than overthink everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Two halves of a whole?   As a devout over thinker, I think it’s an interesting idea. :P…  Something can’t come from nothing…and nothing can’t come from something.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

:unsure:

Some people seem to have nothing better to do with their time than overthink everything.

That's still considerably better than avoiding thinking at all. 

Besides, how is endeavouring to understand how the universe works, to the potential betterment of mankind, overthinking?

The technology you used to post your opinion is the direct result of the work of those that you thoughtlessly dismiss as, "overthinkers".

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
Punctuation.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lightly said:

Something can’t come from nothing…and nothing can’t come from something.

Except it can.

There is no theory of creation, scientific or religious, that doesn't involve either a universe (including a god/gods) that either existed forever (I.e. had no beginning) or spontaneously came into existence. Both concepts are, to our normal, everyday experience, equally impossible and illogical. However the universe exists and so one of these impossible scenarios must be true.

• Like 4

In the anti-universe, poop rises from the toilet and jumps into our butts then we vomit out onto plates as food, which we then put the meat into the oven to un-cook, before returning it to the supermarket who then take it to the abattoir who re-assemble it into live cattle and release into pastures, and then eventually the cattle shrink to the point where they re-enter their mothers.  Hakuna Matata :lol: (or is it Atatam Anukah?)

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

That's still considerably better than avoiding thinking at all. 

Besides, how is endeavouring to understand how the universe works, to the potential betterment of mankind, overthinking?

The technology you used to post your opinion is the direct result of the work of those that you thoughtlessly dismiss as, "overthinkers".

It all depends on context. In their day-to-day lives some people would definitely benefit from thinking a little more . . . before speaking, before acting . . . and yes, some useful technology has come about because someone, somewhere kept on going with a train of thought, however, I believe that 'endeavouring to understand how the universe works'(never mind anti-universes!), is a waste of brain power when there are so many, many problems here on Earth that need solving right now. I think it is a form of escapism, and there is nothing wrong with that, I guess, but I think it is also a refusal to accept that our human brains are very limited.

'To the potential betterment of mankind': can you give me some clues on what this 'betterment' may be?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Except it can.

There is no theory of creation, scientific or religious, that doesn't involve either a universe (including a god/gods) that either existed forever (I.e. had no beginning) or spontaneously came into existence. Both concepts are, to our normal, everyday experience, equally impossible and illogical. However the universe exists and so one of these impossible scenarios must be true.

I’m beginning to think that the universe comes into existence, spontaneously,   Now/forever.  ..and that “time” is what we experience as this IS happening.   !?    

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Guest Xetan

What does "time moves backwards" actually mean in this context? If they're implying that there's an alternate version of myself running in reverse, that would almost certainly imply that I am not actually a being. Just a series of collisions on a mathematically quantifiable and predetermined course.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:15 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

one of these impossible scenarios must be true

According to the Uncertainty Principle in Quantum Physics, they are BOTH true.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, ouija ouija said:

It all depends on context. In their day-to-day lives some people would definitely benefit from thinking a little more . . . before speaking, before acting . . . and yes, some useful technology has come about because someone, somewhere kept on going with a train of thought,

"Some useful technology"? All technology has come about in this way. All technology is the practical offshoot of scientific endeavour, almost all of which is born out of unguided exploration. 

You cannot guide science in this "we must only research x" kind of way, because we have no idea what kind of practical technologies we'll develop out of a given scientific field.

I think people assume that scientific and technological discoveries happen in this strict, planned out way - "I'm going to invent the radio, and to do that I must first discover radiowaves". This is not how it works.

A really good example is advanced medical CT scanners developed out of technology used in CERN for particle detection. If someone had look at the ideas behind the experiments and said "well what's that for", no one would have been able to say "advanced CT scanners for hospitals".

Scientific endeavour is always worth it, even if you can't see the benefit before hand.

I think it is also a refusal to accept that our human brains are very limited.

And yet here we are, with scientific models that would have been utterly unimaginable a century ago, and technology that would have been thought impossible.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2022 at 3:43 PM, jpeniel333 said:

According to the Uncertainty Principle in Quantum Physics, they are BOTH true.

No, I'm not sure that's what the uncertainty principle states.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

No, I'm not sure that's what the uncertainty principle states.

Ok.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, ouija ouija said:

It all depends on context. In their day-to-day lives some people would definitely benefit from thinking a little more . . . before speaking, before acting . . . and yes, some useful technology has come about because someone, somewhere kept on going with a train of thought, however, I believe that 'endeavouring to understand how the universe works'(never mind anti-universes!), is a waste of brain power when there are so many, many problems here on Earth that need solving right now. I think it is a form of escapism, and there is nothing wrong with that, I guess, but I think it is also a refusal to accept that our human brains are very limited.

'To the potential betterment of mankind': can you give me some clues on what this 'betterment' may be?

see bold above. You've got the wrong end of the stick :wacko:! My point was that 'endeavouring to understand how the universe works' shows how limited our brains are.

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

"Some useful technology"? All technology has come about in this way. All technology is the practical offshoot of scientific endeavour, almost all of which is born out of unguided exploration. 

You cannot guide science in this "we must only research x" kind of way, because we have no idea what kind of practical technologies we'll develop out of a given scientific field.

I think people assume that scientific and technological discoveries happen in this strict, planned out way - "I'm going to invent the radio, and to do that I must first discover radiowaves". This is not how it works.

A really good example is advanced medical CT scanners developed out of technology used in CERN for particle detection. If someone had look at the ideas behind the experiments and said "well what's that for", no one would have been able to say "advanced CT scanners for hospitals".

Scientific endeavour is always worth it, even if you can't see the benefit before hand.

And yet here we are, with scientific models that would have been utterly unimaginable a century ago, and technology that would have been thought impossible.

What if the universe is pitch black still and we are just imagining the two halves of it moving around. Think about it. :cat: