Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intuition - examples

TrumanB

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 PM, openozy said:

It is a subconscious thought, it doesn't seem to come to the fore if you try and use it. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind. With animals I've found rabbits and other prey animals seem to be the champions with whatever this is. I think it could be a genetic memory as with things like the fear of dangerous animals such as snakes. All the dogs I've owned know they are lethal at first scent.

I guess i always had mental issues making me more observant,

When i was a kid i wiuld always say after i got hurt i saw that coming but i always got hurt doing something stupid so it adds up.

The last decade or so im more unsteady clumsy than ever my old house was one floor this new joint has stairs with landings and steep service stairs i avoid several times i think im gonna bust ass and do, ive even fallen up stairs but i still think its more expecting it and i might be helping it happen.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, rashore said:

Then in case happens. Or I get the feeling I should stock up on X,

Did you adequately stock up on toilet paper before the mad rush on it, during the initial Covid-19 surge?

I was behind the curve on TP, admittedly, although we never ran out, thankfully.

I did buy forty N-95 masks at Home Depot at the end of January 2020, the week before they completely disappeared everywhere, and I got a pneumonia shot.

I also got a prescription for hydroxychloroquine for my wife and myself just in case it proved useful.

I stocked up on zinc, I also purchased Quecertin, before those supplies vanished.

Was it intuition, or premonition? What’s the difference? Either way, I was correct that great danger was on the immediate horizon.

I would argue that our brains are wired for advanced preparation, and a fear of such natural ability is foolish.

I believe that there are more people on this forum with powerful intuition but from some reason they are eluding this topic. :(

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

I believe that there are more people on this forum with powerful intuition but from some reason they are eluding this topic. :(

Not many, and the Power of Heaven is especially elusive, but this requires a selection, is why, and that criteria eludes me.

One thing I find particularly interesting, is that the American Indians were so convinced that some hidden power was helping them that many tribes attributed it to their ancestors, which were the only entity they could imagine would have a motive for helping them, in such a personal way.

Faith in whatever entity you propose, is built upon our personal mystical experiences. If you don’t have any, then you will only believe in your reptile brain’s limited power.

It could be as simple as our own subconscious, but that doesn’t fully explain many of my premonitions, or “intuitions.” Only a power greater than myself can explain some of these.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Did you adequately stock up on toilet paper before the mad rush on it, during the initial Covid-19 surge?

Yes. I usually do make sure I'm stocked up a bit extra over the winter season here since snow ins aren't unusual. So was already set up before the rush. But that wasn't really intuition. I know we can have winter snow ins so I normally overstock a bit from back to school sales to carry us through winter. Around here there is usually some late winter and early spring sales on paper products to clear out winter holiday stock and start reminding folks to prepare for the spring holidays. Super Bowl Sunday is often a good sale time too. But I tend to pick up TP in the fall sales. 

• Thanks 1

@TrumanB 

Malcolm Gladwell’s book ‘Blink’ explains some of our seemingly unexplainable episodes of intuition. Gavin de Becker’s book ‘The Gift of Fear’ is another good one. I have a friend who retired from a Police department who has an uncanny ability to read body language, something that proved invaluable during police interrogations.
I believe many episodes of intuition are simply our brain’s ability to detect movements, speech patterns, animal and bird behaviors in nature, and other clues that our subconscious mind picks up on before our conscious mind is able to decipher them.

But I’ve also had episodes that seem to defy explanation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, simplybill said:

Gavin de Becker’s book ‘The Gift of Fear’ is another good one.

I have this book, and I agree.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, simplybill said:

@TrumanB 

But I’ve also had episodes that seem to defy explanation. 

I have them too...

• Like 3

I have often had an impulse to do something or take something with me only to find that circumstances required that I had done, or taken that thing.  When I listen to those impulses I am so glad I did, but I don't always listen, sometimes I try to rationalize it and ignore it.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, TrumanB said:

Hi Truman

Yes and it is because of my intuition that I do not.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Truman

What are you afraid of? It will not vanish.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, TrumanB said:

Because if a person mentions following a hunch or there "spider-sense" kicks in about something. They are usually shouted down. So why talk about something when you're going to be called an idiot? 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2022 at 9:23 PM, TrumanB said:

My intuition, backed up by my experience with this site, says you're right about this one.

Cool topic though, hope it gets some legs.  *snip*

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Truman

lmao!  I've been avoiding it too, for the reason above. 

I think one challenge to reporting intuition is when it helps one avoid a bad situation.  No way to prove intuition aided in helping a thing to not occur.  Perhaps some examples of when intuition led to a concrete result might be useful.  I'll see if any pop up that seem relevant in my own experience.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Because if a person mentions following a hunch or there "spider-sense" kicks in about something. They are usually shouted down. So why talk about something when you're going to be called an idiot? 

exactly.  *snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed namecalling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

What are you afraid of? It will not vanish.

Hi Truman

I am not afraid it is just that because of my past those intuitions were about surviving the game and not really suitable for discussion here in the forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

I think one challenge to reporting intuition is when it helps one avoid a bad situation.  No way to prove intuition aided in helping a thing to not occur.  Perhaps some examples of when intuition led to a concrete result might be useful.  I'll see if any pop up that seem relevant in my own experience.

Hi QuiXilver

I tend to think that intuition is a subconscious recognition of patterns or elements of a situation. My mom had a dog that used to like to come for drives with me and she would jump up and bark at unmarked police cars, one time she did it to a undercover cop that was riding a bicycle I could say it was her intuition but I actually think she could hear their radios and was responding to that.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

As far as I know no one called me idiot on this topic so far.

And besides, this forum is meant for exactly this type of threads.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 6:23 AM, TrumanB said:

You're in a call centre.  Have you taken an interest in the forecasting and ERP?

15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You're in a call centre.  Have you taken an interest in the forecasting and ERP?

You mean predicting stock prices? My intuition is spontaneous, I have no idea how to employ it when I want to and when it comes to finance. And besides, it's a pretty materialistic thing that you're suggesting. I don't think that it's given to me to get rich. Things are not that simple as they seem. We are given some karmic gifts but not for anything we want to. I have some feeling that in this life I won't get rich.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:04 AM, TrumanB said:

You mean predicting stock prices? My intuition is spontaneous, I have no idea how to employ it when I want to and when it comes to finance. And besides, it's a pretty materialistic thing that you're suggesting. I don't think that it's given to me to get rich. Things are not that simple as they seem. We are given some karmic gifts but not for anything we want to. I have some feeling that in this life I won't get rich.

Enterprise Resource Planning.  For example you may certain types of call happen when you feel.   While others may look at the data and show that password resets tend happen at the start of a shift.

If there comes a time to selct a new Call Centre manager.   Will the choose some someone who get the right people in the right place at the right time using data or their feelings.

• Like 1

Intuition is basically a skill based on experience within a certain area. If you're natural adept at 'reading people'. Where it seems like you know the 'good' from the 'bad'. (Something I wish I'd listen too years ago, but didn't) How a doctors experience my give them a clue as to a patients diagnosis. Even the gut instincts of a mother. It's basically a mental shortcut for specific pattern recognition. 

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Intuition is basically a skill based on experience within a certain area. If you're natural adept at 'reading people'. Where it seems like you know the 'good' from the 'bad'. (Something I wish I'd listen too years ago, but didn't) How a doctors experience my give them a clue as to a patients diagnosis. Even the gut instincts of a mother. It's basically a mental shortcut for specific pattern recognition. 

That's one type of intuition. There is also prescience that cannot be explained by this.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Enterprise Resource Planning.  For example you may certain types of call happen when you feel.   While others may look at the data and show that password resets tend happen at the start of a shift.

If there comes a time to selct a new Call Centre manager.   Will the choose some someone who get the right people in the right place at the right time using data or their feelings.

I wish...but it doesn't go that way in my call center. :) Anyway, it makes me happy when these glimpses of future open to me because it reminds me of the mystery of life. It's not all that clear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

That's one type of intuition. There is also prescience that cannot be explained by this.

Then it isn't intuition, but precognition.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then it isn't intuition, but precognition.

You are quite possibly right. It's hard for me to draw a line between these two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

You are quite possibly right. It's hard for me to draw a line between these two.

The lines on a lot of this stuff blur too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1