Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts may not like ultraviolet light.

pallidin

Don't have the original source, sorry, but it said experiments to them showed (to them) that 'spirits' became so irritated/irradiated by the UV light that they ' disappeared', went away, and had no further local influence for however long.

Don't remember if they indicated the freq. range but I think they did.

I know, sounds a little strange.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

id like to see the experiments that showed/proved/confirmed ghosts were a real thing

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

But all natural light on this planet has UV in it... even moonlight contains some, due to the Moon reflecting some UV light, along with the visible spectrum...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I kind of do recall that a bit maybe? Might be Mandela effect on my part. Or artifact of a lot of old movies and video games making me think black light and ghosts. Oh, or maybe creepy pasta along the lines of do ghost cast shadows or shadow people/things sort of thing. Or funhouse/entertainment haunt tricks I know can be done with BL making me try to cross-reference everything else in the back of my mind. 

I'm not trying to snark here. Something about that does tickle the back of memory there. Whatever it is, it's probably kind of old and vague for my pop culture and urban legends right now. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rashore said:

I kind of do recall that a bit maybe? Might be Mandela effect on my part. Or artifact of a lot of old movies and video games making me think black light and ghosts. Oh, or maybe creepy pasta along the lines of do ghost cast shadows or shadow people/things sort of thing. Or funhouse/entertainment haunt tricks I know can be done with BL making me try to cross-reference everything else in the back of my mind. 

I'm not trying to snark here. Something about that does tickle the back of memory there. Whatever it is, it's probably kind of old and vague for my pop culture and urban legends right now. 

Yeah, and maybe if I can find the original article I'll post it here on this thread.

• Like 1

I'd like to see how they prove ghosts exist as Overdueleaf says, even though I've experienced them many times. I think the ultraviolet light thing is a crock. I believe you may see these entities at night mostly because our primitive survival senses are more aware and alert at night. A lot of people have lost a lot of survival instincts in the modern world and are less sensitive to their surroundings now.

Poking around a bit I haven't turned up much. Some sites that suggest that some ghosts only are visible with UV, and humans don't normally see that, so adding UV to your ghost hunting lighting kit helps you fix that problem. 390-400 spectrum is sometimes said. Also make sure you are using full spectrum camera :tu:  These sites are also sales pitch sites, so I don't want to link them. 

This Time article has ghost hunters using black light to bust out ghost hoaxes: https://time.com/3942507/meet-italys-ghost-hunters/

A fun fiction tidbit written in 2011. An exorcist that uses blacklight to banish ghosts. Black Light, by Patrick Melton, Marcus Dunstan, and Stephen Romano: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/11173043-black-light

There's Experimental Limits of Ghost Diffraction: Popper’s Thought Experiment, but it's not about dead people, it's about different ghosts: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-31429-y

This one has UV and dead people: Science Behind Paranormal Activities, Souvik Bhattacharjee: https://www.ijntr.org/download_data/IJNTR03030011.pdf

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rashore said:

...Some sites that suggest that some ghosts only are visible with UV, and humans don't normally see that, so adding UV to your ghost hunting lighting kit helps you fix that problem. 390-400 spectrum is sometimes said. Also make sure you are using full spectrum camera :tu: ...

I think THATS what I heard, or at least part of the broader article.

Interesting anyway.

• Like 1

Well damn i thought i never experence anything because im a well grounded ( laughing7.gif.feb6704319fbee9ba8135997f251687b.gif) cynical skeptic but now i learn its because blacklights bother my eyes and brain so i dont use them much at home, now the club thats a different story, but no ghosts there. Besides the one i blame my dead air on.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pallidin said:

I think THATS what I heard, or at least part of the broader article.

Interesting anyway.

I think ghost hunting has probably gone through all the light spectrums by now. Except maybe X-ray, cameras aren't cheap enough to the common public yet for that, lol. I think UV got kind of buried in with the whole "full spectrum" craze. Seems like it has to be in all the kits, but not much about why or how of what it's supposed to do. I thought it a bit fun of the Italian team to use it to find things people could be hoaxing or misconstruing. 

Though not just UV, but it is in black light. I can understand why some folks get their eyes tricked in black light. It's used a lot in amusement haunts for this reason. It's easy to hide a few "ghosts" in an empty room with it. With a ghost hunter using things like full spectrum cameras and more spectrums of lights that they could catch shadows or "ghosts" popping out. Likely in great part because they don't really understand or use the equipment right, like with EMF detectors and other tec. Even if there was something to get caught, I'm not sure it could be told from everything else. 

• 1 month later...

Most ghost sightings are in the daytime, which means sunlight (a lot of ultraviolet light). I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but this sounds like something someone thought was real and then made up the "study" to me. I witnessed an apparition as a kid, and it was around 1 pm in California (on a beautiful day too).

On 3/27/2022 at 11:17 PM, Overdueleaf said:

id like to see the experiments that showed/proved/confirmed ghosts were a real thing

Asking for evidence of ghosts is like swearing in school class, not gonna get your very far and will get you in trouble!

• Haha 3

This just in: "Ghosts don't like mustard"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Asking for evidence of ghosts is like swearing in school class, not gonna get your very far and will get you in trouble!

25 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

This just in: "Ghosts don't like mustard"

31FCE453-2EE1-4990-AFB9-2BEBF5F101E6.jpeg.af455334205d5225abb8e8ac1fb9e5ff.jpeg

UV light worked for Snipes in Blade.

I bet it's totes legit bruh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

UV light worked for Snipes in Blade.

I bet it's totes legit bruh.

But wasn't he hunting vampires?

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Yes.

That's what I thought.  The thread is about ghosts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

That's what I thought.  The thread is about ghosts.

Last I heard ghost aren't fond of proton streams.

ghostbusters-proton.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh my joke was caught by the gatekeepers of undead lore... oh noes!:lol:

• Haha 3

Well one thing about some spooky threads. A while after it's given up the ghost and probably put to grave there is always a necro to raise it up from the dead and the usual crowd of of the lingering on to heckle and snipe up the ashes a bit.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rashore said:

Well one thing about some spooky threads. A while after it's given up the ghost and probably put to grave there is always a necro to raise it up from the dead and the usual crowd of of the lingering on to heckle and snipe up the ashes a bit.

Not old enough to qualify as necroposting. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not old enough to qualify as necroposting. 

What is the age for that? 

• Haha 1