Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Many in Mideast see hypocrisy in Western embrace of Ukraine

Eldorado

In Yemen, a grinding years long war between a Saudi-led coalition and Iran-backed Houthi rebels has left 13 million people at risk of starvation. But even searing accounts of infants starving to death have not brought sustained international attention.

Bruce Riedel, formerly of the CIA and National Security Council, and now a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, said it was “understandable” that many in the Middle East see a double standard by the West.

“The United States and the United Kingdom have supported Saudi Arabia’s seven-years-old war in Yemen, which created the world’s worst humanitarian catastrophe in decades,” he said.

https://www.news-gazette.com/news/nation-world/many-in-mideast-see-hypocrisy-in-western-embrace-of-ukraine/article_f3cf851f-912b-5614-a1a8-3d23685b767b.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I mean...they are not wrong. Even Syria wasn't focused on nearly as much as Ukraine is right now.

• Like 7

Yemen is a proxy war between the U.S. SA, and Iran.  If Iran manages to take Yemen they will continue closer to SA.  Their goal is regional hegemony and now that they'll have a lot more cash AND nukes, they will probably intensify the fight in Yemen and elsewhere.  

Sadly, the starvation will increase in Yemen now due to the conflict in Ukraine and its effects on global ag output.  Between the overreaction to Covid and now the destabilization of war, many more are facing starvation, globally.

• Like 2

It's sort of disgusting, thousands of victims of their own leadership being driven out and they get treated like **** just because they're too brown for the liking of some parts of the EU. But the second they look sufficiently Aryan? THEN people care...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

It's sort of disgusting, thousands of victims of their own leadership being driven out and they get treated like **** just because they're too brown for the liking of some parts of the EU. But the second they look sufficiently Aryan? THEN people care...

I don't think I've seen any brown people being mistreated in the EU, in general.  But then, skin color isn't the first data point I look for.  If it makes you feel any better, thousands of pasty white Europeans are dead in Ukraine.  That'll show them for being RAY-SUS, huh?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't think I've seen any brown people being mistreated in the EU, in general.  But then, skin color isn't the first data point I look for.  If it makes you feel any better, thousands of pasty white Europeans are dead in Ukraine.  That'll show them for being RAY-SUS, huh?  

If this is trying to bait me into saying Ukranians deserve to be invaded because of the Azovs or something, no. You're not innately racist if you're white.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

You're not innately racist if you're white.

But if you're a conservative or Republican and white according to you they are innately racist. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

On 4/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, Eldorado said:

In Yemen, a grinding years long war between a Saudi-led coalition and Iran-backed Houthi rebels has left 13 million people at risk of starvation. But even searing accounts of infants starving to death have not brought sustained international attention.

Bruce Riedel, formerly of the CIA and National Security Council, and now a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, said it was “understandable” that many in the Middle East see a double standard by the West.

“The United States and the United Kingdom have supported Saudi Arabia’s seven-years-old war in Yemen, which created the world’s worst humanitarian catastrophe in decades,” he said.

https://www.news-gazette.com/news/nation-world/many-in-mideast-see-hypocrisy-in-western-embrace-of-ukraine/article_f3cf851f-912b-5614-a1a8-3d23685b767b.html

I don't disagree, but I don't seem see a general consensus amongst local countries about what side to support, then again this issue is not covered regularly in european news outlets in general.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

But if you're a conservative or Republican and white according to you they are innately racist. :rolleyes:

No, white people aren't innately racist. But being a republican means you either are, or don't happen to think that racist bull**** is a dealbreaker if you think you'll benefit in some way. Or, yknow, you're just retarded and don't know any better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure people would show interest if the MSM amplified the war in Libya, but they don't. And maybe that is because there is little political interest in the situation. 
Also, another war the West avoids mentioning is the war between Ethiopia and the ethnic Tigrayans in Ethiopia. Brutal war. many starving now. Many millions displaced.

Here's how I see it...  We have no political interest in Ethiopia so the US has no intel network there and hence, the MSM would sense very quickly that
the Secretary of State has little to say about the situation. That would tend to keep the MSM from having interest in the war themselves. 

my opinion, and yeah, Ukraine is of more political interest in the US/West

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I am sure people would show interest if the MSM amplified the war in Libya, but they don't. And maybe that is because there is little political interest in the situation. 
Also, another war the West avoids mentioning is the war between Ethiopia and the ethnic Tigrayans in Ethiopia. Brutal war. many starving now. Many millions displaced.

Here's how I see it...  We have no political interest in Ethiopia so the US has no intel network there and hence, the MSM would sense very quickly that
the Secretary of State has little to say about the situation. That would tend to keep the MSM from having interest in the war themselves. 

The left media is racist then.  Not surprising as most on the left are racist.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I grew up around lots of people from the Ukraine and have always liked them so  did everyone else so  my respect for these people just didn't spring up now that they are involved in a war. I think the author may not be considering that there likely isn't much immigration into the Mideast and here we have towns that were built by them and still flourish. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 9:52 AM, Autochthon1990 said:

I agree the response to refugees has been... enlightening.

But I don't think it's the reason for different media coverage. I'd expect any media to report more on a war on their doorstep involving their greatest recent adversary than a civil war half a world away in a relatively minor country.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 7:36 AM, Setton said:

I agree the response to refugees has been... enlightening.

I have to say, I was a bit taken aback myself.  I have a couple of friends from years-back who lived in Yaroslavl, Russia and I went over and spent a week with them in their village.  It was a sedate, beautiful place with a 1000-year-old monastery that's popular with tourists.  I met a couple of folks who asked me about Obama - he was in the first year of his first administration.  It kind of shocked me to hear the "N-word" with a Russian accent.   Don't get me wrong, I loathe everything the man stands for AND what I think he has done to harm America but, NOT because he's a black man.  

Those who scream racism in America, rarely actually SHOW examples of it that are anywhere near as blatant as what you'll see in a European football match, for example.  My point is, yes, Racism exists and always will do, but in America especially, it is nowhere NEAR the problem it was 50 years ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

I have to say, I was a bit taken aback myself.  I have a couple of friends from years-back who lived in Yaroslavl, Russia and I went over and spent a week with them in their village.  It was a sedate, beautiful place with a 1000-year-old monastery that's popular with tourists.  I met a couple of folks who asked me about Obama - he was in the first year of his first administration.  It kind of shocked me to hear the "N-word" with a Russian accent.   Don't get me wrong, I loathe everything the man stands for AND what I think he has done to harm America but, NOT because he's a black man.  

Those who scream racism in America, rarely actually SHOW examples of it that are anywhere near as blatant as what you'll see in a European football match, for example.  My point is, yes, Racism exists and always will do, but in America especially, it is nowhere NEAR the problem it was 50 years ago.

It's definitely much more prevalent in eastern Europe than western Europe or the US. 

Where I think you and I will disagree is that it is still significant in our own countries and, of anything, harder to address because it's so insidious.

It's easy to spot the guy shouting the N word at people on the street. It's also (comparatively) easy to educate him and lead him away from that.

It's much harder to help someone recognise that the reason they hate Muslim extremists but are ok with far right or far left ones might be partly skin colour. Or that the reason they campaigned to keep out Syrian refugees (even causing massive financial harm to their own country) but now throw £350 a month to anyone taking in Ukrainian refugees might be down to skin colour.

Basically it's easy to know that the reason someone uses the n word is their racist views. Much harder to draw out what discrimination is due to race consciously, unconsciously, tangentially, or not at all.

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Setton said:

Basically it's easy to know that the reason someone uses the n word is their racist views. Much harder to draw out what discrimination is due to race consciously, unconsciously, tangentially, or not at all.

True enough but the current campaign of telling all non-white people they have a right to demand respect based on nothing but their skin color isn't going to lead to a better place.  It will just lead to blowback.  That's just human nature.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

True enough but the current campaign of telling all non-white people they have a right to demand respect based on nothing but their skin color isn't going to lead to a better place.  It will just lead to blowback.  That's just human nature.  

Doesn't everyone have the right to demand respect, regardless of their skin colour?

On 4/3/2022 at 4:52 AM, Autochthon1990 said:

People response to refugees has more to do with culture than race.

I think that was seen pretty clearly with Afghanistan, Hong Kong, and Ukraine.

People support refugees when they know the people fleeing believe in the same democratic values as your nation.

In case like Syria, the concern is that they are fleeing because of war but have no belief in the values of the nation they are moving to 

• Thanks 2

Good ole white folk... Like friggin clockwork, so freaking predictable.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:34 AM, Eldorado said:

It resume the situation well... she's an Irish politician who has been a Member of the European Parliament from Ireland for the Dublin constituency since July 2019.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, spartan max2 said:

People response to refugees has more to do with culture than race.

I think that was seen pretty clearly with Afghanistan, Hong Kong, and Ukraine.

People support refugees when they know the people fleeing believe in the same democratic values as your nation.

In case like Syria, the concern is that they are fleeing because of war but have no belief in the values of the nation they are moving to 

Not so sure about that. Afghan refugees fled because their democratic way of life (modelled on our own) was falling. Didn't see the same response to them.

18 minutes ago, Setton said:

Not so sure about that. Afghan refugees fled because their democratic way of life (modelled on our own) was falling. Didn't see the same response to them.

I saw a positive response to Afghan refugees in the US.

But that could just be selection bias. I didn't look at any polls.

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I saw a positive response to Afghan refugees in the US.

But that could just be selection bias. I didn't look at any polls.

Fair enough. I saw a better response in the UK than during the Syrian civil war but a long way short of the support being offered to Ukrainians now.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, Setton said:

Doesn't everyone have the right to demand respect, regardless of their skin colour?

No, I don't think a person's skin color should have any part in demanding respect.  For me, I've always been about respecting those who deserve it, based on my morals and lights.  I had many black friends as I was growing up, both in my neighborhood and in school.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to have little or no respect for blacks or any other ethnicity.  My point was that  IF our culture continues down this road of carving out "respect" based on skin color without regard to that INDIVIDUAL'S actions, then whites and Asians will eventually cause blowback because of the double standard.  

I have to say, I believe that much of the hate and anger today is a result of black folks being convinced by media (most, not all blacks) that respect is OWED for skin color AND though the rhetoric does not actually state it, the current situation is about revenge by blacks for what was done to them over the last couple of hundred years.  They're being convinced that they have every right to hold a hand out and demand the fruits of productive laborers and if that is denied to them, they have the right to protest, loot, burn, et cetera like we saw after the G. Floyd debacle.  

• Like 2

The Ukraine is on Europes door-step, indeed may shortly be a member of the EU, therefore its a neighbour and will be treated differently. IT makes sense is the problem people are having.

• Like 1