Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Near-death experiences: four possible theories

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, csspwns said:

What is my "ego" and why do I need to "get over my ego?" What should I be more aware of? What is the meaning of life and death? How does us being insignificant in the big picture affect the way we should act? 

Something for you to ponder on alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csspwns said:

Can you describe the movement pattern of the mist (uniformly rising, flickering, wisping)? Did it seem to be affected by the wind? Which part of the bodies was the starting point of the mist? Did it look a combination of many individual particles? Was it a single green color (how intense or bright were they) or shades of green? What would you say the length of the mist was, what was its highest stopping point, how thick was it? Was there a smell/scent associated? How dark was it outside, was there moonlight or other light sources shining on the area you were in or shining on the bodies? Were you able to capture it on a device?

You need to calm down, it's the beginning of being aware.

• Confused 1

On 4/19/2022 at 3:16 AM, and then said:

So, do you simply choose to believe that those who have reported seeing and hearing things totally removed from the presence of where their body is located, are all being deceptive?  There are numerous instances where the NDE account includes information that the patient could not be aware of.  One woman made a comment about a shoe setting on a window ledge on a floor of the hospital she had never visited before.  

THOSE are the kinds of examples that cause me to doubt any narrative concerning the brain shutting down and the entire experience is generated organically.  As for the experience itself, I do not believe that it is random and purely organic.  I believe there is a part of us that transcends the physical body upon death.

Problem with what you believe is besides stories we have zero proof to any of it, none of it goes past a person like your self being credious and having faith in an unproven story, its like having faith in religions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, csspwns said:

What is my "ego" and why do I need to "get over my ego?" What should I be more aware of? What is the meaning of life and death? How does us being insignificant in the big picture affect the way we should act? 

Ego is what imnsho makes some folks desperately need to believe in faith based ideas, that and their fears.

Fear is a very powerful thing it can and does do all kinds of damage im living proof of that, i do not embrace my fears but i dont cope with them thru fantasy and credulous delusions either

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 2:09 AM, openozy said:

A lot of things that were considered BS years ago have been proven now. That's because some scientists actually had an imagination instead of just reading others outdated info. It's called intelligence.

True.

Science wouldn't exist without imagination!

It would simply die out so to speak because there wouldn't be any significant development.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:47 PM, openozy said:

They are reasonable questions. Why the hostility? 

That's what gives paranormal a bad name. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, the13bats said:

Problem with what you believe is besides stories we have zero proof to any of it, none of it goes past a person like your self being credious and having faith in an unproven story, its like having faith in religions.

The actual problem is not What one believes but That one believes.  If there was proof of a thing...there would be no need of Belief.  We call that Knowledge.

The thing about Reality is that it is...real.  The thing about Fantasy is that it is all...belief.

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

They are reasonable questions. Why the hostility? 

That's what gives paranormal a bad name. 

Yeah they may be but all thrown together it's just being a smart a--. Why would you worry about the paranormal when you think it doesn't exist? 

14 minutes ago, openozy said:

Yeah they may be but all thrown together it's just being a smart a--. Why would you worry about the paranormal when you think it doesn't exist? 

I thought the questions were more investigate.

Perhaps like myself, one might discount the paranormal but still accept people see unusual things, and that if so, there must be better explanations. 

I think the best reason to doubt paranormal is because it's an entirety man made idea not backed by evidence. Historically our first guesses are usually wrong in this regard. Such is the fallibility of human nature. If we work together we have a better chance at a real answer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

If we work together we have a better chance at a real answer.

I'm all for that as long as science has reasonable answers and not dismiss every person's experiences as mental illness without investigating because things don't fit into known boxes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, openozy said:

I'm all for that as long as science has reasonable answers and not dismiss every person's experiences as mental illness without investigating because things don't fit into known boxes. 

Science as it stands doesn't care 

It's not a standard that answers questions, it's a standard we are building where we write in facts as we discover them.

This is where science and claims of unusual activity depart. The thing with the paranormal is most people start with a conclusion. When some say, "that was my dead grandad in ghost form" it's starting with a conclusion. Which is the wrong way to look at anything. Asking lots of questions can reveal a quirky which might mean something that brings is closer to answers. With the fellow who asked you all the questions about the mist, I'd assume this is what he is doing. The best way to begin to resolve a conundrum is to break it down into as many simple components as possible. This can lead to clues that might reveal something recognisable and put us on a path to the solution. 

In my opinion, you're definitely more open minded than the average paranormal proponent. You aren't hellbent on the paranormal and can accept science if it proves itself properly. You're miles ahead of posters like PG. You offer hope that there's a middle ground here. Don't get too defensive because your posting is more valuable than the bulk of other paranormal proponent posters because of that ability. You talk to people openly without exaggerating. IMHO of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Don't get too defensive because your posting

I'm defensive in all aspects of my life, I've had to be. The problem with being empathic is you are over sensitive to everything around you, some are submissive, I'm not one of them, lol. While we disagree on things you have never come across as nasty or belittling which to me is a sign of class and high intelligence in a person.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, openozy said:

I'm defensive in all aspects of my life, I've had to be. The problem with being empathic is you are over sensitive to everything around you, some are submissive, I'm not one of them, lol. While we disagree on things you have never come across as nasty or belittling which to me is a sign of class and high intelligence in a person.

The paranormal fundamentalists give people like you a bad name. There are too many who consider themselves all knowing. I know it's not your fault, but they do you no favours. It's why people are equally defensive at "factual" anecdotes. The ones starting with a conclusion. Enemies of reason.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:47 AM, openozy said:

I asked those questions to genuinely try and gain a better understanding of what you believe you saw on those days, there is no malice in any of my questions. I'm done with trying to ask for evidence or argue over things of that nature. I just want to know more about your experience and look for possible explanations. Lets all stop being hostile here and just answer each other civilly. 

On 4/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, openozy said:

I don't think the paranormal exists due to the lack of tangible evidence, but I WANT it to exist. That's why I'm still here looking for any potential leads and anything I truly can't find a conventional explanation for. If that were to happen I would be the first to start ringing alarm bells towards the scientific community after gathering sufficient evidence and methods of replication. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, csspwns said:

Lets all stop being hostile here and just answer each other civilly. 

I may come across as hostile but I'm not at all, you come across as hostile to me so maybe we are similar in that way?

don't think the paranormal exists due to the lack of tangible evidence, but I WANT it to exist

I know it exists because I've had a lifetime of experiences. Most of this is can't be proved or disproved at this time so what do you want?

• Like 1

Lets all stop being hostile here and just answer each other civilly.

As an empath this type of comment comes across as controlling and condescending.

I don't think the paranormal exists due to the lack of tangible evidence, but I WANT it to exist.

If you really want to experience this you need to be open, you are blocking your psyche by thinking it doesn't exist for a start.

13 hours ago, openozy said:

If you really want to experience this you need to be open, you are blocking your psyche by thinking it doesn't exist for a start.

I'm not sure what my pscyhe is can you elaborate on that. Why does my openness or belief have an effect on whether I experience something or not? Shouldn't an observable experience happen regardless of what I believe since it occurs in reality?

I know it exists because I've had a lifetime of experiences. Most of this is can't be proved or disproved at this time so what do you want?

I want you to answer the questions I asked. These questions are very common and necessary ones to ask when dealing with observable phenomena. The answers you provide would allow for more comprehensive understanding of what you experienced those days and allow me to theorize for any possible known conventional explanations before moving on to alternative theories. 

The initial questions: Can you describe the movement pattern of the mist (uniformly rising, flickering, wisping)? Did it seem to be affected by the wind? Which part of the bodies was the starting point of the mist? Did it look a combination of many individual particles? Was it a single green color (how intense or bright were they) or shades of green? What would you say the length of the mist was, what was its highest stopping point, how thick was it? Was there a smell/scent associated? How dark was it outside, was there moonlight or other light sources shining on the area you were in or shining on the bodies? Were you able to capture it on a device?

As an empath this type of comment comes across as controlling and condescending.

I find your view of my comment quite distracting and concerning because I'm afraid I've somehow offended you again and I don't know how or why because my comment had no controlling or condescending intent at all nor do my previous questions.

Am I somehow forbiding balanced discussion again with my apparently controlling and condescending comments and questions? Does asking a list of questions together make me a "smart a--?" 

Quoted from openozy: "Yeah they may be but all thrown together it's just being a smart a--."

What do you think@rashore

Edited by csspwns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, csspwns said:

I'm not sure what my pscyhe is can you elaborate on that.

You can google this

47 minutes ago, csspwns said:

Why does my openness or belief have an effect on whether I experience something or not?

Because you are putting up walls, probably to protect yourself, your choice.

58 minutes ago, csspwns said:

The initial questions: Can you describe the movement pattern of the mist (uniformly rising, flickering, wisping)? Did it seem to be affected by the wind? Which part of the bodies was the starting point of the mist? Did it look a combination of many individual particles? Was it a single green color (how intense or bright were they) or shades of green? What would you say the length of the mist was, what was its highest stopping point, how thick was it? Was there a smell/scent associated? How dark was it outside, was there moonlight or other light sources shining on the area you were in or shining on the bodies? Were you able to capture it on a device?

I'm not interested in putting up my experiences on here anymore or debating about any of it for obvious reasons. It was a green mist that came out of the animals body and went upwards, no smell on a dark night with no streetlights, that's all. I didn't film it I was trying to save my kid's dog. I believe you really aren't worth answering but I do have manners, don't bother asking me anything again though :tu:.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, openozy said:

You can google this

Not really since there doesn't seem to be a universally agreed definition to what psyche is in spirituality as it's more based on belief than fact. Some compare the psyche to the soul, some refer to the psyche as a state. What do you see the psyche to be?

On 4/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, openozy said:

Because you are putting up walls, probably to protect yourself, your choice.

I'm not interested in putting up my experiences on here anymore or debating about any of it for obvious reasons. It was a green mist that came out of the animals body and went upwards, no smell on a dark night with no streetlights, that's all. I didn't film it I was trying to save my kid's dog. I believe you really aren't worth answering but I do have manners, don't bother asking me anything again though :tu:.

I feel that you're being quite condescending and hypocritical right now. What you're doing now is called projecting. Thanks for responding with what you can though but unfortunately it's not enough for me to provide a comprehensive analysis of your experience. I don't know what reasons you have for not putting up your experiences anymore but I hope you do so again eventually. Also it would be great if you stop bashing on people and instead have a balanced discussion by answering simple questions. This is what people do to progress in all areas of life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, csspwns said:

Not really since there doesn't seem to be a universally agreed definition to what psyche is 

photo-27240.thumb.gif.e8c4de93628d3bb59c

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2022 at 2:34 AM, csspwns said:

I don't think the paranormal exists due to the lack of tangible evidence, but I WANT it to exist. That's why I'm still here looking for any potential leads and anything I truly can't find a conventional explanation for.

Why do you WANT it to exist?  That statement in and of itself illustrates the fantasy involved in the paranormal.  People want it to be real.  Why?  I think the answer to 'why?' is because people are so confused by life they don't even know what is real anymore.  Reality isn't hard.  Fantasy is hard.  Reality is the fast ball coming at you at 90 mph...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, joc said:

Why do you WANT it to exist?  That statement in and of itself illustrates the fantasy involved in the paranormal.  People want it to be real.  Why?  I think the answer to 'why?' is because people are so confused by life they don't even know what is real anymore.  Reality isn't hard.  Fantasy is hard.  Reality is the fast ball coming at you at 90 mph...

The reason I want it to exist is different from most believers where many seek comfort from their beliefs. I want it to exist for the practical aspects such as psychic communication, faith healing, metaphysical "energies", etc which would greatly benefit humanity if they were real. 

• Like 1

The closest thing to faith healing I know of is a result from the placebo effect. Which I personally find interesting.

• Like 3