Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Near-death experiences: four possible theories

UM-Bot

7 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I would guess you doubt lots of things.  To literally not doubt anything is to not understand anything, why I sometimes find mail in my mailbox has endless possible answers unless doubting is involved

Of course but I was talking about not doubting for a short period, I bet you can't do it.

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Living is a near death experience because only the living can die.

Are you an Emo? lol.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, openozy said:

Are you an Emo? lol.

Hi Open

No and I had to look it up, I lived a dangerous life for many decades and never thought I would live to see 30. I have never had any fear about dying nor do I now but everyday any time could be my death so don't care much when or where.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Open

No and I had to look it up, I lived a dangerous life for many decades and never thought I would live to see 30. I have never had any fear about dying nor do I now but everyday any time could be my death so don't care much when or where.

I've only lost my fear of death the last couple of years, I don't know why. It is the most liberating and relaxing feeling, no wonder you come across as a chilled out dude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Witnesses are good enough to send people to be executed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_death_row_inmates

Of course but I was talking about not doubting for a short period, I bet you can't do it.

Is it difficult?  Doesn't seem so to me.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:44 PM, joc said:

Not so fast Scooter Boy! :P

Desire is the starting point for all achievement.  The difference between your fantasy for the HK and @csspwns fantasy for the paranormal to exist is that the HK does indeed exist.  If you wanted it bad enough, you could find a way to get one.  Desire for the paranormal to exist is pure fantasy.  No amount of wanting or thinking or praying or studying or analyzing or researching can ever make it real...because it isn't.  

Lol @ scooter boy.... :lol:

As long as the want is recognised as nothing tangible or attainable I think it's ok. Some things can be very real, very desirable and remain out of realistic reach, like Miranda Kerr.

• Haha 3

On 5/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, openozy said:

It's not healthy, have you tried getting parts for old Holdens recently, lol.

Lol, it's an investment. 

I live down the road from a Commodore Wreckers. Walking distance even. Very handy for my 2002 VX. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

very desirable and remain out of realistic reach, like Miranda Kerr.

Never doubt or put walls up 101, Miranda is a distant cousin of mine 3rd or 4th I think, probably not close enough to set you up and far enough removed for me also, lol.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, determinism said:

Energy is one of those words which people with woolly spiritual ideas should be banned from using. 

My guess is you're one of those that would trade freedom for security.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

C'mon Joc, if there are three questions every single living being has asked themselves sometime in their lifetime they are: 'what is life', 'what is the universe' and 'what happens after we die'.  There's probably a 4th one for the more religious, 'Does God exist'.

You're no different buddy.

Of course everyone questions things.  I'm no different in that regard.  I have always questioned everything as long as I can remember.  The difference is in the answers that I have for those questions.   What is life?  A spontaneous eruption eons in the making...which is why we cannot create life in a laboratory.  

What is the universe?  More to the point, How is there a Universe?   How did something appear out of nothing?  The answer is that it didn't.  Where is the beginning and end of a circle?  Nothing doesn't really compute.  We cannot fathom the concept of 'nothing' because it doesn't exist.

What happens after we die?  Our bodies begin to decompose.  That is all.  Our consciousness is created by our brain, which is 'matter'.   Once we are dead. Our brain begins to decompose.  When we die, we are dead. 

Does God exist?   God is a concept created in the human mind.  I have never met anyone in my entire life who has actually seen God.  It's a mystical woo thing and no...God does not exist.

But that doesn't mean that I disallow others from believing.  I don't care what anyone believes or doesn't believe.  I personally have no beliefs.  I have no disbeliefs.    

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, openozy said:

Never doubt or put walls up 101, Miranda is a distant cousin of mine 3rd or 4th I think, probably not close enough to set you up and far enough removed for me also, lol.

Gidday my new best mate.......

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 8:07 AM, openozy said:

When it does cross over people shoot it down in flames, it's too much for them.

Not really Oozy...cute little name I just coined for you...no disrespect intended B)

People are not shooting    it    down in flames...what people are actually shooting down is the   illogic  or  lack of logic used in assessing a situation (it).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Not really Oozy...cute little name I just coined for you...no disrespect intended B)

None taken, gave me a smile :)

3 minutes ago, joc said:

People are not shooting    it    down in flames...what people are actually shooting down is the   illogic  or  lack of logic used in assessing a situation (it).

And that's fair enough. There's a clear line, stepping over it definitely invites criticism.

2 hours ago, joc said:

Oozy suits as I do ooze charm, :D. Maybe I was a bit hard saying that they shoot it down, more like they pretend not to see it because it is too much. Reminds me when I'm rabbiting and the whippets pretend not to see a big feral tom cat walk past, lol.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, joc said:

Of course everyone questions things.  I'm no different in that regard.  I have always questioned everything as long as I can remember.  The difference is in the answers that I have for those questions.   What is life?  A spontaneous eruption eons in the making...which is why we cannot create life in a laboratory.  

What is the universe?  More to the point, How is there a Universe?   How did something appear out of nothing?  The answer is that it didn't.  Where is the beginning and end of a circle?  Nothing doesn't really compute.  We cannot fathom the concept of 'nothing' because it doesn't exist.

What happens after we die?  Our bodies begin to decompose.  That is all.  Our consciousness is created by our brain, which is 'matter'.   Once we are dead. Our brain begins to decompose.  When we die, we are dead. 

Does God exist?   God is a concept created in the human mind.  I have never met anyone in my entire life who has actually seen God.  It's a mystical woo thing and no...God does not exist.

But that doesn't mean that I disallow others from believing.  I don't care what anyone believes or doesn't believe.  I personally have no beliefs.  I have no disbeliefs.    

What you described are your beliefs, some common with others, some far fetched, but are they reality?  No, as of 2022 nobody knows the answers  because all we have are theories and being the adventurous and curious species we are who like to explore and investigate, we'll keep theorising. 

Considering not long ago we still believed dinosaur bones were the remains of mythical dragons, that the world was flat and other similar rubbish, I think we've made giant steps of progress in technology and science in such short time but, a) we may never know the answers because we're not meant to, b) it might take thousands of years of enhanced intelligence or c) with the help from some genius kid the answers might be just around the corner.

Until then, all people can do is ponder and theorise based on the experiences they've encountered or what they've been told.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, joc said:

None taken Straps :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

What you described are your beliefs, some common with others, some far fetched, but are they reality?  No, as of 2022 nobody knows the answers  because all we have are theories and being the adventurous and curious species we are who like to explore and investigate, we'll keep theorising. 

Considering not long ago we still believed dinosaur bones were the remains of mythical dragons, that the world was flat and other similar rubbish, I think we've made giant steps of progress in technology and science in such short time but, a) we may never know the answers because we're not meant to, b) it might take thousands of years of enhanced intelligence or c) with the help from some genius kid the answers might be just around the corner.

Until then, all people can do is ponder and theorise based on the experiences they've encountered or what they've been told.

I think you are mistaking beliefs for knowledge.  The two are not the same.  We do know that when the body dies no one ever comes back from that.  It is factual.  Near death is just that Near.  Death is completely different.  It is knowledge that says dead things do not come back to life, not belief.  

It was indeed a long...long...time ago when people believed the Earth was flat.  Is it?  No it is spherical shaped.  We know that.  We don't believe it.

We know that Zeus is a myth.  We know that Aphrodite is a myth.  We know that Hercules is a myth.  We know that God of the Bible is a myth.  We know that there are no Spirit Entities.  It is not belief that tells us that.  It is knowledge.  

Belief tells us there are Gods.  Belief tells us there are spirits...i.e. living entities that have no body.  Knowledge is something completely different.

We know that the Universe did not magically appear out of thin air.  It existed before it existed but in a different form.  We know that.  Belief tells us an Entity created it out of thin air.

Knowledge is not belief.  Knowledge is things we know.  Belief entails things we cannot prove.  Physically, logically, or otherwise.  

So the programming of our ancestry says:  You either believe in God or you do not believe in God.  The reality of what we know says: It isn't a matter of belief one way or the other.  We know that God does not exist except as a mental concept.  The programming of our ancestry says:   If we cannot prove a negative then we don't know.  Knowledge says:  You cannot prove a negative.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, openozy said:

Witnesses are good enough to send people to be executed.

Absolutely. These same people who claim science, logic ect completely ignore the thousands upon thousands of NDE's, that have been categorized, combed through, searched for and found many similar patterns. The many many instances of people knowing things while clinically dead that were happening in the room, and many outside of the room. The hours on end of scientific research, and even peer reviewed articles they act as though it doesn't even exist. Completely blow if off. It's hypocritical. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, preacherman76 said:

Absolutely. These same people who claim science, logic ect completely ignore the thousands upon thousands of NDE's, that have been categorized, combed through, searched for and found many similar patterns. The many many instances of people knowing things while clinically dead that were happening in the room, and many outside of the room. The hours on end of scientific research, and even peer reviewed articles they act as though it doesn't even exist. Completely blow if off. It's hypocritical. 

That's because it can't be tested.

7 hours ago, joc said:

I think you are mistaking beliefs for knowledge.  The two are not the same.  We do know that when the body dies no one ever comes back from that.  It is factual.  Near death is just that Near.  Death is completely different.  It is knowledge that says dead things do not come back to life, not belief.  

It was indeed a long...long...time ago when people believed the Earth was flat.  Is it?  No it is spherical shaped.  We know that.  We don't believe it.

We know that Zeus is a myth.  We know that Aphrodite is a myth.  We know that Hercules is a myth.  We know that God of the Bible is a myth.  We know that there are no Spirit Entities.  It is not belief that tells us that.  It is knowledge.  

Belief tells us there are Gods.  Belief tells us there are spirits...i.e. living entities that have no body.  Knowledge is something completely different.

We know that the Universe did not magically appear out of thin air.  It existed before it existed but in a different form.  We know that.  Belief tells us an Entity created it out of thin air.

Knowledge is not belief.  Knowledge is things we know.  Belief entails things we cannot prove.  Physically, logically, or otherwise.  

So the programming of our ancestry says:  You either believe in God or you do not believe in God.  The reality of what we know says: It isn't a matter of belief one way or the other.  We know that God does not exist except as a mental concept.  The programming of our ancestry says:   If we cannot prove a negative then we don't know.  Knowledge says:  You cannot prove a negative.  

Sorry but this is just wrong, scientifically speaking. According to science clinically dead is just as dead as any other definition of death. No measurables can be found different on a near death experience then a permanent one. To think otherwise is absolutely technically speaking, a belief. And will remain so until scientifically proven otherwise. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's because it can't be tested.

It could be, but you know ethics.

15 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

It could be, but you know ethics.

Even if it were the answer would be neurochemistry.

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Even if it were the answer would be neurochemistry.

How do you prove that though? If there is no brain function? Pam Renolds comes to mind. That women was as dead as dead could be. Blood drained from her body, temperature way below what it takes to live. Brain functions closely monitored, and were zero. Head phones in her ears playing sound to help make sure her brain wasn't registering noise. Was completely blind folded.

Yet she described everything that happened in the room. Described the unique surgical tools. Was able to describe in detail conversations between the nurse and doctor. All this from the view of the ceiling. All confirmed by the doctor who performed her surgery. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

How do you prove that though? If there is no brain function? Pam Renolds comes to mind. That women was as dead as dead could be. Blood drained from her body, temperature way below what it takes to live. Brain functions closely monitored, and were zero. Head phones in her ears playing sound to help make sure her brain wasn't registering noise. Was completely blind folded.

Yet she described everything that happened in the room. Described the unique surgical tools. Was able to describe in detail conversations between the nurse and doctor. All this from the view of the ceiling. All confirmed by the doctor who performed her surgery. 

Doesn't matter. I've come to learn that scientist have all the answers. At least that's what I've been told. I'm sure they'll find it to be nothing more than synapses firing or whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Doesn't matter. I've come to learn that scientist have all the answers. At least that's what I've been told. I'm sure they'll find it to be nothing more than synapses firing or whatever. 

Ain’t that the truth

• Like 1