Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to give asylum seekers one-way ticket to Rwanda

Eldorado

I hope the Rwandans had them a ticket back to England on arrival ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Missed the point completely... again.  And stop using the word 'refugees'  Economic migrants. 

You posted the meme with refugees in it.  Can't practice what you preach.

So what is your point?  What is the truth in your meme, or did you basically just post a lie?

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

You posted the meme with refugees in it.  Can't practice what you preach.

So what is your point?  What is the truth in your meme, or did you basically just post a lie?

Sorry forgot, some people don't understand sarcasm.  But if you like, just for you I'll post it again with the word refugees crossed out and replaced with economic migrants. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Sorry forgot, some people don't understand sarcasm.  But if you like, just for you I'll post it again with the word refugees crossed out and replaced with economic migrants. 

Just don't go around telling people not to use a word you used yourself.

While you're recreating your meme, I'm sure you'll post the provenance of the photo.

And then you'll explain how being in possesion of cheap commodities makes you an economic migrant.

You know just to show that you post something that doesn't need an enema.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Just don't go around telling people not to use a word you used yourself.

While you're recreating your meme, I'm sure you'll post the provenance of the photo.

And then you'll explain how being in possesion of cheap commodities makes you an economic migrant.

You know just to show that you post something that doesn't need an enema.

Love your naivity, it's so quaint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Love your naivity, it's so quaint.

Three times now you have failed to explain how cheap possesions are the basis for denying asylum.  It's almost as if you're talking bulldust.

13 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I hope the Rwandans had them a ticket back to England on arrival ;)

They won't do that, why would they? They will just let them make their own way back to wherever they want to go- hopefully. If their asylum is accepted, they won't be legally allowed to go to the UK they will just be legally allowed to stay in Rwanda.So it will be just a choice between slave labour in Rwanda or starting the process again if they are able to.

Edited by The Silver Shroud

10 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Three times now you have failed to explain how cheap possesions are the basis for denying asylum.  It's almost as if you're talking bulldust.

Smart phones, or better still access to a PC, is vital for refugees.So it isn't a cheap possession, it is a lifeline. The world's communications are carried out online.

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Smart phones, or better still access to a PC, is vital for refugees.So it isn't a cheap possession, it is a lifeline. The world's communications are carried out online.

Hi Silver

I use 2 phones (20 gigs) and 3 computers and go well over 900 gigs in a month for $150. What do you think expensive is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They won't do that, why would they? They will just let them make their own way back to wherever they want to go- hopefully. If their asylum is accepted, they won't be legally allowed to go to the UK they will just be legally allowed to stay in Rwanda.So it will be just a choice between slave labour in Rwanda or starting the process again if they are able to.

Sounds like a whole lot of prejudice. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Silver

I use 2 phones (20 gigs) and 3 computers and go well over 900 gigs in a month for $150. What do you think expensive is?

I don't understand your point. Are you saying internet use is cheap, or expensive? Asylum seekers should have access to the internet, or shouldn't? What point are you trying to make? 

19 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Sounds like a whole lot of prejudice. 

Of course it is, that is the whole point. Brexit and the red wall support for the Tories was about ending immigration and deporting the immigrants already here. It doesn't even matter if the Rwanda project fails, if it fails the blame can be put on the 'loony Leftie lawyers' and the 'woke mob'. A Tory MP has said as much (I can't be bothered to reference). We have local elections coming up next month and in 2024 a GE, so the government has to show something that they have done or at least tried to do that will satisfy the Gammons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Of course it is, that is the whole point. Brexit and the red wall support for the Tories was about ending immigration and deporting the immigrants already here. It doesn't even matter if the Rwanda project fails, if it fails the blame can be put on the 'loony Leftie lawyers' and the 'woke mob'. A Tory MP has said as much (I can't be bothered to reference). We have local elections coming up next month and in 2024 a GE, so the government has to show something that they have done or at least tried to do that will satisfy the Gammons.

It's no longer 1994 in Rwanda.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying internet use is cheap, or expensive? Asylum seekers should have access to the internet, or shouldn't? What point are you trying to make? 

Hi Silver

Yes I think internet is cheap even low income can afford internet and smart phones so not sure why anyone would be concerned that people have internet access even if they are coming from another country

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

It's no longer 1994 in Rwanda.

Just as well it isn't 2021 as well, because that is when the UK governement was condemning Rwanda's stance on human rights. I have put two links in this thread on page 1, here's one:

Vicky Ford Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

The UK has expressed concerns about the circumstances of the death of Kizito Mihigo in February 2020 both in public and in private, and urged a prompt, independent and transparent investigation by the Rwandan authorities. During the UN's Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of human rights in Rwanda in 2021, the UK Government also recommended that Rwanda conduct transparent, credible and independent investigations into allegations of human rights violations, including deaths in custody. We discuss these issues with the Government of Rwanda through our High Commission in Kigali and at Ministerial level, most recently in January 2022. The UK encourages Rwanda to uphold and champion Commonwealth values of democracy, rule of law and respect for human rights.

Kizito Mihigo: 4 Mar 2022: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou

37 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Just as well it isn't 2021 as well, because that is when the UK governement was condemning Rwanda's stance on human rights. I have put two links in this thread on page 1, here's one:

Vicky Ford Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office)

The UK has expressed concerns about the circumstances of the death of Kizito Mihigo in February 2020 both in public and in private, and urged a prompt, independent and transparent investigation by the Rwandan authorities. During the UN's Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of human rights in Rwanda in 2021, the UK Government also recommended that Rwanda conduct transparent, credible and independent investigations into allegations of human rights violations, including deaths in custody. We discuss these issues with the Government of Rwanda through our High Commission in Kigali and at Ministerial level, most recently in January 2022. The UK encourages Rwanda to uphold and champion Commonwealth values of democracy, rule of law and respect for human rights.

Kizito Mihigo: 4 Mar 2022: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou

That is not the slavery you were talking about earlier. 

It's a suspicious death in custody, which no country in the West is above.

However, we continue to eave away ETM Processing Centre.

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

That is not the slavery you were talking about earlier. 

It's a suspicious death in custody, which no country in the West is above.

However, we continue to eave away ETM Processing Centre.

I had no idea you were an apologist for human rights abuses: Africa | Global Slavery Index

There are cases of modern slavery being exposed in the UK every few years, and given the UK was expressing concerns of human rights abuses as recently as last year, I doubt Rwanda has a better record than the UK.

The UK has also agreed to a reciprocal arrangement to take refugees from Rwanda:

After Priti's big pitch on Friday, it emerged over the weekend that while migrants landing in Kent will be given a one-way ticket to Africa, others will be heading in the opposite direction.

Hidden in the small print is a reciprocal arrangement under which Britain will accept an unspecified number of refugees who have been unable or unwilling to settle in Rwanda, despite having been granted asylum.

It states: 'The participants will make arrangements for the United Kingdom to resettle a portion of Rwanda's most vulnerable refugees in the United Kingdom.' That will include people with the most 'complex needs', including those with mental health problems.

So that's what they mean by asylum. You don't have to be mad to come here, but it helps.

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Hotels have been block-booked for migrants and are turning away paying customers | Daily Mail Online

It is all a bit moot anyway, not a single person is going to be deported to Rwanda, it is all a soundbite to satisfy the Gammons. I expect a few hundred million of taxpayers money will be given to a private company with links to the Tory party and then it will be quietly forgotten.

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I had no idea you were an apologist for human rights abuses: Africa | Global Slavery Index

There are cases of modern slavery being exposed in the UK every few years, and given the UK was expressing concerns of human rights abuses as recently as last year, I doubt Rwanda has a better record than the UK.

The UK has also agreed to a reciprocal arrangement to take refugees from Rwanda:

After Priti's big pitch on Friday, it emerged over the weekend that while migrants landing in Kent will be given a one-way ticket to Africa, others will be heading in the opposite direction.

Hidden in the small print is a reciprocal arrangement under which Britain will accept an unspecified number of refugees who have been unable or unwilling to settle in Rwanda, despite having been granted asylum.

It states: 'The participants will make arrangements for the United Kingdom to resettle a portion of Rwanda's most vulnerable refugees in the United Kingdom.' That will include people with the most 'complex needs', including those with mental health problems.

So that's what they mean by asylum. You don't have to be mad to come here, but it helps.

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Hotels have been block-booked for migrants and are turning away paying customers | Daily Mail Online

It is all a bit moot anyway, not a single person is going to be deported to Rwanda, it is all a soundbite to satisfy the Gammons. I expect a few hundred million of taxpayers money will be given to a private company with links to the Tory party and then it will be quietly forgotten.

Recognising that suspicious deaths in custody occur in The West makes someone an apologist, does it.  Will you start reciting The White Mans Burden next?

There is not a mention of slavery by either Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International.

The UNHCR only has reports of Rwanda providing safety to refugees.

https://www.unhcr.org/rw/

The prospect of refugee processing is what we're actually discussing here.

The figures you supplied on the GSI are from 2016.

In 2020, Rwanda is one of the nation UK is partnering with to build ethical supply chains.

In the latest MOU there will be a monitoring committe ensuring there is regard to providing refigees from slavery all they need.

You're dismissing any potential for improvement and banking on failure by all observers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Recognising that suspicious deaths in custody occur in The West makes someone an apologist, does it.  Will you start reciting The White Mans Burden next?

There is not a mention of slavery by either Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International.

The UNHCR only has reports of Rwanda providing safety to refugees.

https://www.unhcr.org/rw/

The prospect of refugee processing is what we're actually discussing here.

The figures you supplied on the GSI are from 2016.

In 2020, Rwanda is one of the nation UK is partnering with to build ethical supply chains.

In the latest MOU there will be a monitoring committe ensuring there is regard to providing refigees from slavery all they need.

You're dismissing any potential for improvement and banking on failure by all observers.

You make some good points. And I admit I expect failure, in fact I don't think it will get started. Like "Leveling Up" it is all sound and no substance.

• Thanks 1

DENMARK IN TALKS TO SEND ASYLUM-SEEKERS TO RWANDA

In a statement released this morning, Danish Immigration Minister Mattias Tesfaye confirmed the country has entered discussions with the Rwandan government:

“Our dialogue with the Rwandan government includes a mechanism for the transfer of asylum seekers… [the deal will] ensure a more dignified approach than the criminal network of human traffickers that characterises migration across the Mediterranean today.”

Denmark is far from the first European entity backing Priti’s move. In 2019 then-European Commissioner Neven Mimica also announced a similar plan for the EU:

https://order-order.com/2022/04/20/denmark-in-talks-to-send-asylum-seekers-to-rwanda/

• Like 1

The UK government’s plan to ‘offshore’ some asylum seekers to Rwanda has been met with wall-to-wall outrage. As ever these days, some of this outrage is justified, but much of it is unhinged. Above all, the Remainer indignation at the plan has revealed some extraordinary double standards in the migration debate.

Within moments of Patel’s announcement last week, ‘Nazi Germany’ began to trend on Twitter. This was just like Adolf Eichmann’s plan to deport Jews to Madagascar, said many of the usual suspects in the blue-tick brigade.

But it is telling that leading Remainers, currently posing as defenders of migrants and refugees, have not discussed the immigration policies of their beloved European Union. After all, the EU has outsourced – or ‘subcontracted’, to borrow Justin Welby’s phrase – its migration policies for decades now.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/04/19/rwanda-and-the-staggering-double-standards-over-migration/

• 1 month later...

New asylum seekers to be given 7 day Rwanda ultimatum in documents revealed to ITV News

Asylum seekers who face being sent to Rwanda are being given just seven days to provide reasons in writing as to why they shouldn't be deported, documentation obtained by ITV News suggests.

People are being handed a "notice of intent" warning that their decision to travel through a safe country - usually France - before arriving in the UK could make their claim inadmissible.

The latest documents make it explicit that people will be penalised for taking risks in their travels to Britain by adding: "If the journey you have made to the UK may be described as having been dangerous, you may be eligible for relocation."

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-27/asylum-seekers-have-just-7-days-to-prove-status-or-be-sent-to-rwanda

The Home Office has begun issuing formal removal directions to migrants due to be sent to Rwanda, with the first deportation flight due to depart in two weeks on June 14.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/migrants-receive-rwanda-deportation-letters-with-first-flight-due-to-depart-on-june-14/ar-AAXVQGm?

• Like 1

Home Office’s Rwanda deportation plans face high court challenge

Priti Patel’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda as soon as next week is facing a legal challenge under emergency proceedings launched in the high court on Wednesday.

An application for a judicial review claims that the home secretary’s policy is unlawful. Claimants are also seeking an injunction that will attempt to stop the plane from taking off.

It is the first legal challenge of the policy to have been officially put before the courts, and comes as Boris Johnson is under pressure from his own MPs to demonstrate a policy success.

With less than a week until the flight on 14 June, up to 130 asylum seekers are expected to be flown one way to Rwanda and encouraged to apply for asylum there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/08/home-offices-rwanda-deportation-plans-face-high-court-challenge

People at risk of suicide facing deportation to Rwanda told to try sudoku

People at risk of suicide who have been threatened with deportation to Rwanda have been told to learn a musical instrument or to try sudoku instead of being offered counselling, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/08/people-at-risk-of-suicide-facing-deportation-to-rwanda-told-to-do-a-sudoku