Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are EVPs Near Proof of Intelligent Non-Physical Beings

papageorge1

In my many years of interest in the paranormal I have come across some stunning things. One of the many things that has always intrigued me is EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) where voices from non-physical entities are allegedly recorded on media.

Although we can't quite get this as clear as living voices investigators can still pick up things that are clearly intelligent such as apparent answers to questions strongly suggesting the involvement of an intelligent agent.

I've heard this many times over the years. Just today browsing YouTube I ran into one that pretty clearly illustrates my point. I chose it because it is under a minute for even the 'can't be bothered' responses I would expect to receive for something longer.

Now this is far from perfect, but it can't really be fairly attributed to random meaningless noise given the timing and context of such request to sing ABC's.

BUT the point I want to address is:

'Isn't this very strong evidence for the existence of a non-physical intelligence?'

• Like 1

I think if we could get one clear enought that everyone (EVERYONE) agreed on what was said, and that was verified by not telling people what to listen for before hand (which is usuallyl the case "I hear it saying hello, do you hear it?"   Not very scientific.   Also, I have never heard an EVP that everyone agreed on what was being said, much less agreed that there were actual words.   So no, I don't think it is proof of anything, except maybe that people hear what they want to.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jethrofloyd said:

Nonsense! These people need to be sent to the factorys, and do some useful work.

Quite an irrelevant response to my question

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I think if we could get on clear enought that everyone (EVERYONE) agreed on what was said, and that was verified by not telling people what to listen for before hand (which is usuallyl the case "I hear it saying hello, do you hear it?"   Not very scientific.   Also, I have never heard an EVP that everyone agreed on what was being said, much less agreed that there were actual words.   So no, I don't think it is proof of anything, except maybe that people hear what they want to.

I happen to think that a recording like that occurring right after a request to continue the ABC's is essentially impossible to write off as wishful hearing. Play just the EVP voice part to a random person giving them zero clues that the EVP was the continuation of the ABC's if you want to test your theory. I predict a similarity to the ABC's will be given far more than chance would expect!!

Anyone in that room could have made that humming sound. The only thing they accomplished is to insult people's intelligence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps everyone should remember these two words: stochastic resonance.

Used in military signal intelligence to more define the carrier contents. Very cool if you look into it but much is classified for obvious reasons.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Anyone in that room could have made that humming sound. The only thing they accomplished is to insult people's intelligence.

I'm no EVP audio technician but perhaps the audio technicians involved in the video could even explain why this recording was not in the normal human range, I don't know.

OK, so you are accusing outright fraud by someone. Always possible, but over the years I must have heard dozens of responses contextual to the situation or questions asked. Are they all frauds? It seems unreasonable for me to think these intelligent people are spending so much of their time and effort creating frauds. My stronger suspicion is that they themselves want to know the truth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I'm no EVP audio technician but perhaps the audio technicians involved in the video could even explain why this recording was not in the normal human range, I don't know.

OK, so you are accusing outright fraud by someone. Always possible, but over the years I must have heard dozens of responses contextual to the situation or questions asked. Are they all frauds? It seems unreasonable for me to think these intelligent people are spending so much of their time and effort creating frauds. My stronger suspicion is that they themselves want to know the truth.

Good points...

• Thanks 1

Even doing my own EVP research in the past it's more likely audio pareidolia to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

'Isn't this very strong evidence for the existence of a non-physical intelligence?'

No!  It isn't!  Not at all!  All it is evidence of is that Charlatan's exist everywhere especially in the paranormal world.  

Remember that old saying Papa?  You can fool some of the people all of time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.  Well, the people that you can fool with crap like the video you posted are people who will believe anything.  I.e.  The Gullible.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, joc said:

No!  It isn't!  Not at all!  All it is evidence of is that Charlatan's exist everywhere especially in the paranormal world.  

Remember that old saying Papa?  You can fool some of the people all of time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.  Well, the people that you can fool with crap like the video you posted are people who will believe anything.  I.e.  The Gullible.  

I’ll put you down for ‘intentional fraud’. All the time?? I think you are trying to fool yourself personally. Some of these EVP people are highly technical and spend even full time on this. And they record alone in special rooms.

Even if they are gullible the sounds we can all hear must have a real source. 

I’m open to skepticism here but I just can’t find anything  satisfying.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I’ll put you down for ‘intentional fraud’. All the time?? I think you are trying to fool yourself personally. Some of these EVP people are highly technical and spend even full time on this. And they record alone in special rooms.

Even if they are gullible the sounds we can all hear must have a real source. 

I’m open to skepticism here but I just can’t find anything  satisfying.

But Papa...you just stated the whole skepticism and missed it:

Some of these EVP people are highly technical and spend even full time on this. And they record alone in special rooms.

Highly technical people recording in 'special' rooms alone.  Recording...alone.  Where no one else is. And we are supposed to believe that people who are dead can hear them and sing ABC songs and stuff.  Phew...that is pretty deep Papa...I'm going to have to say...Absolutely, put me down for intentional fraud ALL the time.

11 minutes ago, joc said:

But Papa...you just stated the whole skepticism and missed it:

Highly technical people recording in 'special' rooms alone.  Recording...alone.  Where no one else is. And we are supposed to believe that people who are dead can hear them and sing ABC songs and stuff.  Phew...that is pretty deep Papa...I'm going to have to say...Absolutely, put me down for intentional fraud ALL the time.

Yes, I believe from the evidence that there is an astral realm to reality and some beings of this realm can attempt communication with devices sometimes partially successfully. 

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, I believe from the evidence that there is an astral realm to reality and some beings of this realm can attempt communication with devices sometimes partially successfully. 

That's fine.  You get to believe whatever you want.  However; why do you 'believe'  if there is evidence?  Why isn't it something that you know?

22 minutes ago, joc said:

That's fine.  You get to believe whatever you want.  However; why do you 'believe'  if there is evidence?  Why isn't it something that you know?

That's just a choice of wording. I take the evidence and argumentation, rationally process it, and determine the most reasonable position all things considered. That result is what I refer to as my beliefs as 'proof' is not possible. I would say I believe in these things now beyond reasonable doubt but stop short of claiming proof.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That's just a choice of wording. I take the evidence and argumentation, rationally process it, and determine the most reasonable position all things considered. That result is what I refer to as my beliefs as 'proof' is not possible. I would say I believe in these things now beyond reasonable doubt but stop short of claiming proof.

so what does your papa meter say about this video?

1 minute ago, joc said:

so what does your papa meter say about this video?

There's really two different readings I can program the meter for, so let's do them both:

Papameter Reading on the OP Video

Paranormal  90%     Fraud 9%     Wishful Hearing 1%

Papameter Reading on the full body of EVP Material with Contextual Content

Paranormal 98%    Fraud  1%    Wishful Hearing 1%

Double-checked. Above readings both repeated.

• Haha 2

I would say you are definitely a believer Papa!  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EVP has to be one of the silliest ideas ever.

My favorite EVP story is where a group of so-called investigators arrives at a haunted residence and begins to explore the place. Oh, by the way they invited a group of skeptics to be there to verify the recordings so there can be no question about what happened. After a long search and time spent recording the groups are about to go home. The EVP group is in the house and they are going over their recordings for the day when one of them discovers voices. The voices are not clear enough to understand but they are certainly voices. Before the skeptics can leave they call them in to hear the findings. The skeptics listen and ask the recording to be replayed. As it is the skeptics are able to state what the EVP is saying. The recording is of the skeptics outside the building discussing whether they should have lunch at McDonalds or Hardys.

EVP is ridiculous. Anyone claiming that this story is in any way legitimate needs to realize how gullible they are.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

There's really two different readings I can program the meter for, so let's do them both:

Papameter Reading on the OP Video

Paranormal  90%     Fraud 9%     Wishful Hearing 1%

Papameter Reading on the full body of EVP Material with Contextual Content

Paranormal 98%    Fraud  1%    Wishful Hearing 1%

Double-checked. Above readings both repeated.

Did you ever do your own EVP research?

You can always download a recording app.

Stay away from the Ghost Radar app. UM will never hear the end of it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Did you ever do your own EVP research?

You can always download a recording app.

Stay away from the Ghost Radar app. UM will never hear the end of it.

No, I'll leave this field to those more knowledgeable and better equipped than me.

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

No, I'll leave this field to those more knowledgeable and better equipped than me.

But you might discover Super Paranormal which is above Paranormal, but below Ultra Paranormal.

• Haha 5

How have they managed to get such a clear recording of the humming when the recording of the guy is pretty bad.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2022 at 11:29 PM, papageorge1 said:

I believe genuine and clearly heard EVP's in general are evidence of a non-physical intelligence. My beliefs are also from own personal experience.

Edited by P.S