Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could whale genitalia explain sea monster sightings ?

UM-Bot

3 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

So there really is a Moby Dick. :unsure2:

And a close encounter with one would still be less painful than reading a single paragraph of that book.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

i was doing some reading a few days ago, and came across this very topic. The reading said that whales do in fact have orgies and while males wait their turn, they swim around at the surface with their personals waving in the air... there was a side by side comparison of said personal parts and a popular image of fake nessie... and I will never look at nessie the same way again.....lol. I will see if i can find this comparison. 

Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield in tears over claims Loch Ness  monster is a whale's penis - Daily Record

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

And a close encounter with one would still be less painful than reading a single paragraph of that book.

You must be a woman...

I like the book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

i was doing some reading a few days ago, and came across this very topic. The reading said that whales do in fact have orgies and while males wait their turn, they swim around at the surface with their personals waving in the air... there was a side by side comparison of said personal parts and a popular image of fake nessie... and I will never look at nessie the same way again.....lol. I will see if i can find this comparison. 

Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield in tears over claims Loch Ness  monster is a whale's penis - Daily Record

There is also a theory the Loch Ness monster from this famous photo is actually an elephant bathing in the Loch Ness.. Some researchers even found a newspaper article from that time. About an traveling circus which was located the area of northern Scotland at the same time.

Was the Loch Ness Monster really an ELEPHANT? Photographer's photo of calf  underwater looks exactly like famous Nessie snap – The Sun - WSBuzz.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

There is also a theory the Loch Ness monster from this famous photo is actually an elephant bathing in the Loch Ness.. Some researchers even found a newspaper article from that time. About an traveling circus which was located the area of northern Scotland at the same time.

Was the Loch Ness Monster really an ELEPHANT? Photographer's photo of calf  underwater looks exactly like famous Nessie snap – The Sun - WSBuzz.com

The famous photo has already been debunked but an elephant could be the mistaken reports of other sightings.

10 hours ago, Stiff said:

Well unless the whale is swimming on it's back close to the surface, I doubt this explains it.

I've read that whales will m********e by sticking their penises out of the water.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clockworkgirl21 said:

I've read that whales will m********e by sticking their penises out of the water.

If you ever go on safari in Africa you will a fair number of 5 legged elephants

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

An ecology professor has put forward one of the strangest explanations for sightings of long-necked sea monsters.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/356979/could-whale-genitalia-explain-sea-monster-sightings

This article and the one it's based on are complete rubbish. Michael Sweet did not come up with this explanation, rather it was first proposed by Charles Paxton and colleagues in 2005. Paxton et al. suggested it explained two historical sightings that both occurred in the ocean. It was never intended to be an explanation for all sea serpent sightings and certainly not for the Loch Ness monster.

Here are links to better sources about this topic you should read instead.

https://cryptozoologicalreferencelibrary.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/paxton-et-al.-2005.pdf

https://twitter.com/tetzoo/status/1380297931673206787?lang=en

https://www.livescience.com/loch-ness-monster-not-a-whale-penis

https://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/whale-dicks-lock-ness/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

If you ever go on safari in Africa you will a fair number of 5 legged elephants

Counting the trunk?

• Haha 7

Nah... sometimes it's best to just move along... :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In South America I’ve seen large eels stick out of the water. Very very large eels. Does anyone know if eels exist in that part of England?

if so, that’s always been my bet for nessie.

Btw, there's a speculation that Trunko's "trunk" could be a whale penis (Hawthorne (2021). Monster's & Marine Mysteries. Far from the tree press). However, relying on more "original" sources like citations of the main eyewitness in newspapers rather than (seemingly) Wikipedia, we read that it was distinguished in the description between a posterior and anterior end and that "where the head should have been the creature had a sort of trunk". Thus, the speculation with the penis seems leading in the wrong direction, thinking about the position of male sexual organs of cetacea...

I can't believe I have come back to discuss this 'Could whale genitalia explain sea monster sightings' 

:lol::lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Agreed, @Uncle Yammy, whale penises :angry:

but in the end, what other threads are there of interest? This is crypto, for god's sake, Mods. Get some BigFoot, some mothman, get *something*. 

• Thanks 1