Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Broadcasting Earth’s location could provoke alien invasion, Oxford scientist warns

Still Waters

Nasa's plan to beam Earth's location into outer space could provoke an alien attack, Oxford scientists have warned.

Researchers at the US space agency have backed a broadcast message, dubbed the "Beacon in the Galaxy", intended to greet extraterrestrial intelligences. It is an updated form of the Arecibo message, broadcast in 1974 for the same purpose.

Improvements in digital technology mean that more information can now be broadcast. The proposed new message includes basic mathematical and physical concepts to establish a universal means of communication, followed by information on the biochemical composition of life on Earth.

It also includes the solar system’s location relative to major clusters of stars, along with digitised depictions of the solar system itself, Earth’s surface, and male and female humans. The message concludes with an invitation for intelligences to respond.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/stop-revealing-earth-location-dangerous-140354282.html

https://www.ladbible.com/news/beacons-in-the-galaxy-warning-scientists-aliens-anders-sandberg-20220418

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

This has been happening for years though hasnt it?  Coming from TV and Radio.

• Like 3

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. A normal person doesn't broadcast their address on the internet for the same reason we shouldn't do so with aliens. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

This has been happening for years though hasnt it?  Coming from TV and Radio.

The impact of those is like pointing a flashlight to the Moon, hoping an astronaut will see it.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, zep73 said:

The impact of those is like pointing a flashlight to the Moon, hoping an astronaut will see it.

With the sun behind you.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Well the scientists who do this stuff are the same people who tell us that the distances between stars are too great to be traversed so there really is no risk, is there? Since that's the case, the messages being sent are useless as is reading and commenting on articles about it. What a waste!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. A normal person doesn't broadcast their address on the internet for the same reason we shouldn't do so with aliens. 

Actually, you just did with this post. I could Venmo a mod 1000 dollars for your login information and history of ip addresses. Even with a dynamic IP address I assure you that I would be able to find you.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Life is a chance and gamble everytime you wake up, people.

let them send their silly little signals. We will likely either be long dead or have all killed each other before anything happens.

• Like 1

If they only would invade Russia..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thelion318 said:

the messages being sent are useless as is reading and commenting on articles about it

Totes waste.

Advanced technologies could detect our signal a million years from now, trace its inception and come and visit us now in 2022. And is it expected they would be hostile? Theres probably as good a chance that life is exceedingly rare and an advanced intelligence would recognize this and offer protection. No different then how we protect endangered species on Earth

What's the message? Don't show up in places we're bombing/killing eachother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

What's the message? Don't show up in places we're bombing/killing eachother.

"The proposed new message includes basic mathematical and physical concepts to establish a universal means of communication, followed by information on the biochemical composition of life on Earth."

"It also includes the solar system’s location relative to major clusters of stars, along with digitised depictions of the solar system itself, Earth’s surface, and male and female humans. The message concludes with an invitation for intelligences to respond." :tu:

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 4

"People think of these beings invading our planet as some great cataclysm but it's not like that at all. The invasion already happened." - Edwin Pollard

• Haha 1

1. There ain't no aliens.

2. Even if there are, they are so far away it would take them forever to get here.

3. If they are smart enough to recieve these messages, they are also too smart to think it feasible or worth the costs and effort to try to get here even if it was feasible. 

4. There ain't no aliens. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii

6 hours ago, Zebra3 said:
"People think of these beings invading our planet as some great cataclysm but it's not like that at all. The invasion already happened." - Edwin Pollard

Nothing makes a better point than quoting a work of fiction. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, khol said:

Advanced technologies could detect our signal a million years from now, trace its inception and come and visit us now in 2022. And is it expected they would be hostile? Theres probably as good a chance that life is exceedingly rare and an advanced intelligence would recognize this and offer protection. No different then how we protect endangered species on Earth

The problem is they are unlikely to think like us or be able to relate to us in any way. We probably have more in common with jellyfish. Protecting Earth wouldn't be high on an alien's agenda I feel.

10 minutes ago, openozy said:

The problem is they are unlikely to think like us or be able to relate to us in any way. We probably have more in common with jellyfish. Protecting Earth wouldn't be high on an alien's agenda I feel.

It's not a real problem if it's not based on any evidence or first hand knowledge.

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

It's not a real problem if it's not based on any evidence or first hand knowledge.

I go with the instinct of fear of the unknown.

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

I go with the instinct of fear of the unknown.

Which makes for good books and movies but not rational discussion about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

Which makes for good books and movies but not rational discussion about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

We have instincts, gut feelings for a reason, survival. Most times when we ignore these we pay the price.

1 minute ago, openozy said:

We have instincts, gut feelings for a reason, survival. Most times when we ignore these we pay the price.

Wrong. Our instincts are to kill, to steal, to hate, and to fear the darkness. If you don't overcome these irrational feelings then you'll never fully enjoy life.

15 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Wrong. Our instincts are to kill, to steal, to hate, and to fear the darkness. If you don't overcome these irrational feelings then you'll never fully enjoy life.

Strange view on instincts, rather negative and fully understand why you don't listen to yours. I've learnt to harness mine and have a happy life, avoiding danger listening to my instincts.

• Like 1