Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA beamed a Doctor to the ISS in a world-first 'holoportation' achievement

Still Waters

During almost two-years of the COVID-19 pandemic, the growth of telemedicine and new ways of reaching people has changed and developed. In October 2021, NASA flight surgeon Dr. Josef Schmid, industry partner AEXA Aerospace CEO Fernando De La Pena Llaca, and their teams were the first humans “holoported” from Earth into space.

Using the Microsoft Hololens Kinect camera and a personal computer with custom software from Aexa, ESA (European Space Agency) astronaut Thomas Pesquet had a two-way conversation with live images of Schmid and De La Pena placed in the middle of the International Space Station. This was the first holoportation handshake from Earth in space.

“This is completely new manner of human communication across vast distances,” Schmid said. “Furthermore, it is a brand-new way of human exploration, where our human entity is able to travel off the planet. Our physical body is not there, but our human entity absolutely is there. It doesn't matter that the space station is traveling 17,500 mph and in constant motion in orbit 250 miles above Earth, the astronaut can come back three minutes or three weeks later and with the system running, we will be there in that spot, live on the space station.”

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/innovative-3d-telemedicine-to-help-keep-astronauts-healthy

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-surgeon-beamed-to-international-space-station-in-holoportation-world-first

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now just add AI capacity to the holodoc for when your out of close radio range......
  • Like 2

Wow.  Impressive!

• Like 2

"Our physical body is not there, but our human entity absolutely is there," said Schmid.

I love VR and it's potential, but I feel that particular expression is too strong.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

I dont know why, but I cant stop thinking of Robert Picardo. Make it so it can also sing.

...and so that it always asks "Please state the nature of the medical emergency" ;-) .

• Thanks 1