Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time

8th_wall

6 hours ago, joc said:

perhaps as dark matter is   s t r e t c h e d   it begins to expand ...and everything else with it...?

Basically Dark Energy and Gravity are having a Cosmic Tug of War. Below is a far better Explanation of this phenomenon than I am able to give.

Our Expanding Universe: Delving into Dark Energy: https://www.energy.gov/science/articles/our-expanding-universe-delving-dark-energy

5 hours ago, lightly said:

There is said to be a black hole at the center of our galaxy..at the center of it’s mass.  It’s also said that there is a singularity at the center of every black hole.  (trillions of them in our universe?)   It’s said that not even light can escape from a black hole .  
         It’s said  ‘Time’ passes faster with increased speed …what happens to time at the speed of light??  ( I wonder if ‘it’ stops)      It’s said that time passes faster the farther away from the center of a gravitational mass.     Is ‘time’ actually passing faster at the top of my head than at my feet?…or is it simply that my feet have a shorter orbit around the earth’s center of mass?    Like this>  o . . .compared to this> O.    Both orbits ,of slightly varying distance, are completed in the same amount of ‘time’.    (one revolution of the earth). . Just wondering… I love this topic and everyone’s input.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the most difficult question is..what causes expansion (if expansion is the reality).  I guess they are saying that ‘dark energy’ pushes things apart..sort of an anti gravity?   ..since the expansion of space seems to be agreed on…ok.   So, I think what is happening is…:passifier: . . .   Expansion of space is not accelerating.  Space does not expand at it’s outer ‘edges’ …there are no edges.   Space expands at every point EVERYWHERE. …that is what makes it look like acceleration..but it’s simply a Cumulative Effect.    Because,  the more space expands the more space there is to expand !     and  ‘Gravity’ works just fine…so, even though ALL space between and WITHIN things is expanding ..things like our solar system and the atoms and molecules of our very bodies! …these things are held together by local forces, like ‘gravity’ and electromagnetism.         Your welcome ..Just leave tips in the jar.  :lol:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lightly said:

I think the most difficult question is..what causes expansion (if expansion is the reality).  I guess they are saying that ‘dark energy’ pushes things apart..sort of an anti gravity?   ..since the expansion of space seems to be agreed on…ok.   So, I think what is happening is…:passifier: . . .   Expansion of space is not accelerating.  Space does not expand at it’s outer ‘edges’ …there are no edges.   Space expands at every point EVERYWHERE. …that is what makes it look like acceleration..but it’s simply a Cumulative Effect.    Because,  the more space expands the more space there is to expand !     and  ‘Gravity’ works just fine…so, even though ALL space between and WITHIN things is expanding ..things like our solar system and the atoms and molecules of our very bodies! …these things are held together by local forces, like ‘gravity’ and electromagnetism.         Your welcome ..Just leave tips in the jar.  :lol:

Interesting...but what if there ARE edges?  And Dark Matter isn't actually 'in' the universe...it is what the universe is expanding into...and space/time are like the air in a balloon that suddenly has air blown into it.  Perhaps, the Big Bang didn't create anything...it didn't create matter...it didn't create dark matter...what if the Big  Bang is what happens when the universe expands so far the Dark Matter  (think the rubber of the balloon) pops.  Then the entire Universe implodes.  Just a silly thought after a long hard day. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joc said:

perhaps as dark matter is   s t r e t c h e d   it begins to expand ...and everything else with it...?

That's it.

When everything is so far apart it cannot interact there will be silence .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coil said:

At first, scientists believed that the universe would begin to shrink, and now they believe in a big freeze?

All these are theories that over time are replaced by new theories, as scientists lack complete information about the universe and what it is developing towards.

Our universe in the future will transform into a non-physical, divine state when it is freed from the dragon of Darkness squeezing the universe in its paws. And then it will rush to God and take its place among the same eternal universes.

Why does God need to create the physical universe if he still aspires to himself anyway? This is necessary in order to manifest the perfection of God even in matter and change it into a true and eternal consciousness-matter and a person into a true and perfect God-being.

Do you do children's parties?

You're quite the story teller.

Edited by psyche101
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Do you do children's parties?

You're quite the story teller.

Hopefully not every Sunday at 10am

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's it.

When everything is so far apart it cannot interact there will be silence .

I am just going with the whole...there is no nothing idea...that the Universe is completely recycling over and over and over...not the same way every time...but it came from somewhere and it has to be part of a cycle because everything in the universe is part of a cycle.  Right?  ...or whut

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, joc said:

Hopefully not every Sunday at 10am

I'm getting the impression that's exactly it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joc said:

I am just going with the whole...there is no nothing idea...that the Universe is completely recycling over and over and over...not the same way every time...but it came from somewhere and it has to be part of a cycle because everything in the universe is part of a cycle.  Right?  ...or whut

I think of it more like water evaporating. 

We see it in as cyclic in a closed system like an atmosphere returned as rain, but take that away and the molecules would just keep expanding I'm different directions in space. At some distant point in the future, those water molecules would be so far apart, they could not ever meet again to go the puddle they left. Like mars water. It's gone and the molecules could be all across the galaxy, never to pool together again on Mars 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I think of it more like water evaporating. 

We see it in as cyclic in a closed system like an atmosphere returned as rain, but take that away and the molecules would just keep expanding I'm different directions in space. At some distant point in the future, those water molecules would be so far apart, they could not ever meet again to go the puddle they left. Like mars water. It's gone and the molecules could be all across the galaxy, never to pool together again on Mars 

The problem I have is with the singularity.   

In order for the universe to exist...it must follow it's own laws of physics.  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.   Expansion and compression.  Dark matter...i.e. heavy matter...so heavy but still compressing...

...already said this but I am just clarifying my own thought process...so, we have an expanding universe...if it is expanding, it must be expanding into something...wallah...

The Joc Theory

There is something that the universe is expanding into.  We will call it, Very Heavy Dark Matter.  As the Universe expands it compresses more and more the very heavy dark matter...when the very heavy dark matter compresses to the maximum..VHDMF...(very heavy dark matter fission) takes place...the space/time continuum ruptures and  all of the compressed very heavy dark matter rushes into the vaccuum of the Space/Time Continuum ...which then compresses the Matter of the Universe until at some point the compression is too great creating a kind of fission that ruptures the very heavy dark matter continuum and the compressed matter of the Space/Time Continuum rushes into the vacuum of the Very Heavy Dark Matter Continuum (VHDMC)in a singularity event known as the Big Bang...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

In order for the universe to exist...it must follow it's own laws of physics.  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.   Expansion and compression.  Dark matter...i.e. heavy matter...so heavy but still compressing...

...already said this but I am just clarifying my own thought process...so, we have an expanding universe...if it is expanding, it must be expanding into something...wallah...

You're spot on mate. 

The big bang is purely a model to understand the principle. It's not a physical representation of the physical action that happened. 

There's no centre if the universe. No edge. It's a completely different concept to the closed systems we live in (atmosphere, solar system, galaxy etc) it's boundless and endless. 

I've not been a fan of the balloon demonstration of inflation. It's more like a sci fi starship, or death Star undergoing critical failure. Heaps of small explosions all over the place in no particular order eventually combining into a super explosion, sending out a wave of energy that would 'flatten' space from the initial density.

The initial more compressed state was highly energetic, allowing virtual particles of matter and anti matter to manifest often. They interact and..........

A27x.gif

Expansion allows cooling, cooling allows cohesion, cohesion means atoms, atoms means matter which is where the rest of the story unfolds.

1 hour ago, joc said:

The Joc Theory

There is something that the universe is expanding into.  We will call it, Very Heavy Dark Matter.  As the Universe expands it compresses more and more the very heavy dark matter...when the very heavy dark matter compresses to the maximum..VHDMF...(very heavy dark matter fission) takes place...the space/time continuum ruptures and  all of the compressed very heavy dark matter rushes into the vaccuum of the Space/Time Continuum ...which then compresses the Matter of the Universe until at some point the compression is too great creating a kind of fission that ruptures the very heavy dark matter continuum and the compressed matter of the Space/Time Continuum rushes into the vacuum of the Very Heavy Dark Matter Continuum (VHDMC)in a singularity event known as the Big Bang...                                                                           

Well, a big crunch is also a proposed model. But we only have proof of inflation to date, no deflation.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

The big bang is purely a model to understand the principle. It's not a physical representation of the physical action that happened.

I can go with that!  The mainstream idea that 'There has to be a beginning and before the beginning...nothing!' is problematic.  We do indeed tend to look at things from our own closed system model. 

For instance, you in your own house.  Going about your daily doings in your very own special house...but...when you walk out the door into a gathering crowd of people and suddenly your own personal closed system is irrelevant.   

• Like 1

https://hetdex.org/dark_energy/dark_matter.html

We need to remember that dark energy and dark matter are believed to exert opposing forces.  With dark energy pushing things apart (expansion)  and dark matter pulling things together. (gravity)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, lightly said:

https://hetdex.org/dark_energy/dark_matter.html

We need to remember that dark energy and dark matter are believed to exert opposing forces.  With dark energy pushing things apart (expansion)  and dark matter pulling things together. (gravity)

Let's also remember that the HETDEX project is pretty much total BS...:hmm:

"Dark energy is our ignorance of what’s going on in the universe right now," says Karl Gebhardt, a professor of astronomy at The University of Texas at Austin and one of the principal investigators for the HETDEX project

"What I always like to say is that dark energy is only a phrase, and don’t get hung up on the words dark and energy. [Dark energy] may not be dark, and it may not be energy. All it is is our ignorance of how the universe may be expanding, and we don’t know what it is at this point."

10 hours ago, joc said:

Let's also remember that the HETDEX project is pretty much total BS...:hmm:

Is it? I’d never heard of it before.  I’m not sure how the universe works…is anyone?   
           Einstein said something like… I only know of two things which are infinite. Human stupidity and the Universe..and I’m not sure about the Universe. :tu:

How about Harvard ?  this is saying the same thing….that dark energy is a repulsive force…pushing things apart…..while dark matter (having mass and therefor gravity) is an attractive force…pulling things together.

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/research/topic/dark-energy-and-dark-matter

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-gravity-and-electromagnetism/

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Is it? I’d never heard of it before.  I’m not sure how the universe works…is anyone?   
           Einstein said something like… I only know of two things which are infinite. Human stupidity and the Universe..and I’m not sure about the Universe. :tu:

How about Harvard ?  this is saying the same thing….that dark energy is a repulsive force…pushing things apart…..while dark matter (having mass and therefor gravity) is an attractive force…pulling things together.

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/research/topic/dark-energy-and-dark-matter

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-gravity-and-electromagnetism/

I'm just quoting Karl Gebhardt from your HETDEX web site as is written below...

which is why I emboldened the last sentence.  If we don't know what it is...then how can we know what it is doing?  We don't even understand gravity really...It doesn't matter what Einstein said or didn't say....there is something missing and we don't know what it is.  You can call it this or you can call it that...and the end result as Karl said is: All it is is our ignorance of how the universe may be expanding, and we don’t know what it is at this point."

12 hours ago, joc said:

"Dark energy is our ignorance of what’s going on in the universe right now," says Karl Gebhardt, a professor of astronomy at The University of Texas at Austin and one of the principal investigators for the HETDEX project

"What I always like to say is that dark energy is only a phrase, and don’t get hung up on the words dark and energy. [Dark energy] may not be dark, and it may not be energy. All it is is our ignorance of how the universe may be expanding, and we don’t know what it is at this point."

So...when I don't know something...I research it on google...but if the guys studying what I'm researching say they don't know what it is...where does that leave me?  Not knowing...that's all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joc said:

I'm just quoting Karl Gebhardt from your HETDEX web site as is written below...

which is why I emboldened the last sentence.  If we don't know what it is...then how can we know what it is doing?  We don't even understand gravity really...It doesn't matter what Einstein said or didn't say....there is something missing and we don't know what it is.  You can call it this or you can call it that...and the end result as Karl said is: All it is is our ignorance of how the universe may be expanding, and we don’t know what it is at this point."

So...when I don't know something...I research it on google...but if the guys studying what I'm researching say they don't know what it is...where does that leave me?  Not knowing...that's all.

???    Ahhh….when I click on that link it takes me to the Dark Energy Vs. Dark Matter segment…It seems that when you click on it it takes you to the  What is dark energy segment.   If you click on the Dark Energy Vs. Dark Matter segment  it says:  “While dark energy repels, dark matter attracts.  And dark matter’s influence shows up in individual galaxies, while dark energy acts only on the scale of the entire Universe. “    

Dark matter is being proposed as the cause of all the unexplained MASS in the Universe.    Ya, I do the same thing!  Google is our friend :P    Usually, because Sometimes Google will show us  opposing views on almost any subject.   And , YUP the universe is still a COMPLETE mystery in my ignorant and humble opinion .

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Oop,  sorry.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lightly said:

???    Ahhh….when I click on that link it takes me to the Dark Energy Vs. Dark Matter segment…It seems that when you click on it it takes you to the  What is dark energy segment.   If you click on the Dark Energy Vs. Dark Matter segment  it says:  “While dark energy repels, dark matter attracts.  And dark matter’s influence shows up in individual galaxies, while dark energy acts only on the scale of the entire Universe. “    

Dark matter is being proposed as the cause of all the unexplained MASS in the Universe.    Ya, I do the same thing!  Google is our friend :P    Usually, because Sometimes Google will show us  opposing views on almost any subject.   And , YUP the universe is still a COMPLETE mystery in my ignorant and humble opinion .

It seems there are a lot of ideas going on out there but I haven't seen a real theory as to dark matter or dark energy.  They are just words to describe something that we think exists but we don't really know for sure but we think there is something we are missing but...so where to go from there?  Anyone?  Dot's wot I thot.... :)

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, joc said:

The Joc Theory

The hypothesis for the heat death of the universe follows the law of thermodynamics.  Some, like Cox and others, are calling this state where entropy can not increase "the end of the universe."

If I could bail up Cox, I'd ask him how he can say the Universe may have been eternal and have no beginning?  When he speaks of the start of the universe he does say "We just don't know."

• Like 1

Does a circle have a beginning?     Just a thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lightly said:

Does a circle have a beginning?     Just a thought.

Yes it certainly does, any circler object didn’t begin as a circle. The circler shape was created by something, now in most cases we will never know what process created the circle but it certainly had to start as something other than a circle. The only way an observer can know the beginning and end of a circle is to draw one using a compass. So does every circle have a beginning and end yes, can we look at a circle and determine these points of reference without creating it no. :unsure::huh::D

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

The hypothesis for the heat death of the universe follows the law of thermodynamics.  Some, like Cox and others, are calling this state where entropy can not increase "the end of the universe."

If I could bail up Cox, I'd ask him how he can say the Universe may have been eternal and have no beginning?  When he speaks of the start of the universe he does say "We just don't know."

The other question is, what is the  universe expanding into?  My understanding that it is creating the space/time continuum as it expands but if at some point entropy disallows expansion then where does that leave the farthest point where expansion occurred and what is on just the other side of the No More Expansion City Limit sign?  Dark matter? Anti-matter?  Dark Energy? No energy? 

If we create an explosion on Earth, the explosive expansion pushes air away and as it cools the air rushes back in.  So, if entropy creates a situation where the Unknown Matter rushes back in...then what?  There is just an infinite pool of Unknown Matter.  But if that is the end result of the universal expansion...then we are back to the original question of what catalyst began the Big Bang or the Beginning of Expansion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think ,maybe, the universe is expanding into/within itself.    I was just reading some other thoughts/ideas/theories about dark energy….it was saying that dark energy is a property of space itself and ,therefore is not diluted by expansion.     (just like I was wondering about earlier, that the more space expands…the more space there is expanding!..I think that is what makes it appear as if the rate/speed of expansion is accelerating)  ???   Anyway, good old Einstein was the first (lately) to think of space as Energy….dark energy may just be the unseen  (electromagnetically neutral)  portion of space. ??

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy 

https://www.livescience.com/cosmological-constant.html       
Check this out! please.    More on Albert’s ideas about   Space being energy.   Sounds very similar to ‘dark’ energy.

Edited by lightly

8 hours ago, joc said:

The other question is, what is the  universe expanding into?  My understanding that it is creating the space/time continuum as it expands but if at some point entropy disallows expansion then where does that leave the farthest point where expansion occurred and what is on just the other side of the No More Expansion City Limit sign?  Dark matter? Anti-matter?  Dark Energy? No energy? 

If we create an explosion on Earth, the explosive expansion pushes air away and as it cools the air rushes back in.  So, if entropy creates a situation where the Unknown Matter rushes back in...then what?  There is just an infinite pool of Unknown Matter.  But if that is the end result of the universal expansion...then we are back to the original question of what catalyst began the Big Bang or the Beginning of Expansion?

It's a reasonable question.

Here's the thing, there's no centre of the Universe.

Everywhere is expanding or moving away from everything else at the same same rate no matter where you are. 

If there's no centre, how can there be an edge?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2