Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time

8th_wall

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Thanks psyche,  I found this bit especially interesting…”Virtual particles are particles that only pop into existence very briefly as disturbances in the fields that exist between real particles. They don't have the same masses as their real counterparts (unlike their real counterparts that have no mass, virtual photons do have a mass). In this experiment, when the ions zipped past each other in a near miss, their two clouds of virtual photons were moving so fast they acted as if they were real.”

I wonder if the virtual photons which they say are ‘acting’ real… may also be ‘acting’ as if they have mass, due to their incredibly fast Motion. ?   I dunno..but it’s fascinating so ..thanks again!

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 10:33 PM, lightly said:

Thanks psyche,  I found this bit especially interesting…”Virtual particles are particles that only pop into existence very briefly as disturbances in the fields that exist between real particles. They don't have the same masses as their real counterparts (unlike their real counterparts that have no mass, virtual photons do have a mass). In this experiment, when the ions zipped past each other in a near miss, their two clouds of virtual photons were moving so fast they acted as if they were real.”

I wonder if the virtual photons which they say are ‘acting’ real… may also be ‘acting’ as if they have mass, due to their incredibly fast Motion. ?   I dunno..but it’s fascinating so ..thanks again!

Sort of like that actually, a virtual particle effectively has a mass because of it's fluctuation of energy in a short time.

• Thanks 2