Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christians on a Plane (Singing for Jesus)

Davros of Skaro

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I can't help but wonder the reaction if this had been ANY other religion? 

If it's a commercial flight I'd bet they would have been instructed to sit down by attendants and if they refused or caused any other hassle would have been met by security at the gate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Liquid Gardens said:

If it's a commercial flight I'd bet they would have been instructed to sit down by attendants and if they refused or caused any other hassle would have been met by security at the gate. 

Not under the same situation, had they done it flying from a muslim, or whatever religion country. 

Just now, preacherman76 said:

Not under the same situation, had they done it flying from a muslim, or whatever religion country. 

Maybe, but then I don't understand your initial question you were wondering about.  You did say you wondered if 'this' had been any other religion, I at least didn't take that to mean, 'what if people from another religion did this in a country where their religion was the majority'.  If that was your question I guess I wouldn't expect much difference, maybe just a little less cheezy and a lot less cringey than this example.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I can't help but wonder the reaction if this had been ANY other religion? 

Mine would be the same. It wouldn't even have to be a religious issue. I wouldn't want to be a captive audience to any plane-wide singalongs, period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, onlookerofmayhem said:

Mine would be the same. It wouldn't even have to be a religious issue. I wouldn't want to be a captive audience to any plane-wide singalongs, period.

I dont want to be captive to all kinds of crap. But I try my best to tolerate people

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Maybe, but then I don't understand your initial question you were wondering about.  You did say you wondered if 'this' had been any other religion, I at least didn't take that to mean, 'what if people from another religion did this in a country where their religion was the majority'.  If that was your question I guess I wouldn't expect much difference, maybe just a little less cheezy and a lot less cringey than this example.

Well I'm just saying if a bunch of folks on an American airline suddenly heard singing in another language like that, I could see why some might become fearful, justified or not. So long as it wasn't perceived as a threat, it would have been much more tolerated. There wouldn't be youtube video's spewing hatred towards them. 

I wonder how many disgruntled passengers will be asking for compensation as it was a commercial flight and any type of disruption like this is would generally be cause for confinement during flight and possibly charges.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

But I try my best to tolerate people

So do I, but this type of thing, if it's a commercial flight, would be egregiously rude and inconsiderate to everybody not involved. 

There's a fine line between tolerating others and standing up to others when you're in a confined space with no available way to leave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So long as it wasn't perceived as a threat, it would have been much more tolerated.

Agreed, but I don't think 'threat' should be the boundary, this shouldn't be tolerated because it's ridiculously annoying and inconsiderate, plus I thought there was a general instruction from the flight crews to try to keep the aisleway clear.  I don't think I would feel comfortable next to some spirit-filled cheeseball holding a guitar next to my head and hoping we don't hit any turbulence.  If there was someone with a boombox (if those still exist) playing some hip-hop with that usual super low loud repetitive bass that rattles my car in traffic every now and then, it wouldn't be a threat either but I doubt would be tolerated.  I really don't find this Christian troubadour and company any less annoying and aggravating, at least hip-hop isn't usually infected with smothering schmaltz like this is.

28 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

There wouldn't be youtube video's spewing hatred towards them. 

I don't think we should use the above as any kind of valid comparison anymore, you can find videos spewing hatred towards just about everything nowadays.

• Like 5

• Haha 8

It was part of a flight by Kingdom Realm Ministries who were traveling across Europe to support Ukrainian refugees. It wasn't a commercial flight.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It was part of a flight by Kingdom Realm Ministries who were traveling across Europe to support Ukrainian refugees. It wasn't a commercial flight.

Hi Michelle

Yes it was a commercial flight.

https://liveandletsfly.com/easyjet-musical-performance/

CONCLUSION

These folks were well-intentioned and apparently received permission to sing before starting their performance. For that reason, EasyJet should share far more blame than the kids who sang. Even so, planes should be a sanctuary of solitude and with very rare exception, I find musical performances totally inappropriate for a captive audience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Always, always always bring good over ear headphones on a flight.

Noise cancelling preferred.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

My mistake.

Anyway, stuff like that just rolls off my back. I don't sweat it one way or the other. Like our neighbor learning how to play the guitar with the speaker wide open. We just sat outside and laughed. He never did get any better. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

My mistake.

Anyway, stuff like that just rolls off my back. I don't sweat it one way or the other. Like our neighbor learning how to play the guitar with the speaker wide open. We just sat outside and laughed. He never did get any better. :lol:

I didn't think you lived in North Brisbane. :unsure2:

• Haha 4

I do wonder if the plane had a lot of football followers who began singing their team's  song, whether so many people would be offended 

Or if  the plane was going, to or coming from , some form of music concert 

Besides its democracy in action. If 95% of the passengers feel like singing, then the others just have to grimace and bear it  :) 

Try being on a school excursion where 30 teenagers decide to sing  for 3 hours straight, on the bus ride.  . 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Michelle

https://liveandletsfly.com/easyjet-musical-performance/

CONCLUSION

These folks were well-intentioned and apparently received permission to sing before starting their performance. For that reason, EasyJet should share far more blame than the kids who sang. Even so, planes should be a sanctuary of solitude and with very rare exception, I find musical performances totally inappropriate for a captive audience.

There isn't anything which requires blame 

Sure some people might like peace and quiet on a plane but, for many, entertainment overcomes fear of flying stress and anxiety 

Given the circumstances, NO ONE did anything wrong.   There is no reason 95 people should stay silent, just to keep 5 people happy. 

I don't notice anyone on the flight complaining.

I couldn't help but imagine some disgruntled upper class gentleman on the Titanic, complaining of the noise from  the band, which was  playing as the ship sank  

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

I couldn't help but imagine some disgruntled upper class gentleman on the Titanic, complaining of the noise from  the band, which was  playing as the ship sank  

Yeah, but the Titanic was large enough to be able to escape the noise produced by a couple of religious nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 1:11 AM, XenoFish said:

Here's my "optimistic" take, at least the plane didn't detour into a building. 

Imagine a group of muslims chanting "Allahu Akbar!" in the plane for an hour.

That would be fun.

I think the plane wouldn't even have taken off, lol.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, locomekipkachelfantje said:

Imagine a group of muslims chanting "Allahu Akbar!" in the plane for an hour.

That isn't quite how Muslim devotional prayer works. One of the side effects of this has been the accumulation of social media testimonies where Rep. Omar's "thought experiment" was actually carried out: Muslims have prayed in the aisles of a commercial airplane in flight. Long story short: no problem. (Although not in flight, I have been in a room meditating undisturbed while a small group of Muslims went about their prayers after asking my indulgence since I had been there first).

Of course, many Christians, too, manage to say their prayers without bothering anybody. Just not these Christian orifices.

On a point arising,

Sure some people might like peace and quiet on a plane but, for many, entertainment overcomes fear of flying stress and anxiety 

That's why a merciful God supplied passenger airplanes with headphones.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, eight bits said:

That isn't quite how Muslim devotional prayer works. One of the side effects of this has been the accumulation of social media testimonies where Rep. Omar's "thought experiment" was actually carried out: Muslims have prayed in the aisles of a commercial airplane in flight. Long story short: no problem. (Although not in flight, I have been in a room meditating undisturbed while a small group of Muslims went about their prayers after asking my indulgence since I had been there first).

Of course, many Christians, too, manage to say their prayers without bothering anybody. Just not these Christian orifices.

On a point arising,

That's why a merciful God supplied passenger airplanes with headphones.

As far as I understood it, this wasn't about praying but about singing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I don't notice anyone on the flight complaining.

They were probably many seething quietly, as most people don't want to create a big scene......and just hoping it would all end soon.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Besides its democracy in action.

Airline flights are not democracies, they are dictatorships as they should be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1