Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists prepare CERN collider restart in hunt for ‘dark matter’

Still Waters

Scientists at Europe’s physics research center will this week fire up the 16-mile (27-kilometer) Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the machine that found the Higgs boson particle, after a shutdown for maintenance and upgrades was prolonged by COVID-19 delays.

Restarting the collider is a complex procedure, and researchers at the CERN center have champagne on hand if all goes well, ready to join a row of bottles in the control room celebrating landmarks including the discovery of the elusive subatomic particle a decade ago.

“It’s not flipping a button,” Rende Steerenberg, in charge of control room operations, told Reuters. “This comes with a certain sense of tension, nervousness.”

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/science/scientists-prepare-cern-collider-restart-hunt-dark-matter-2022-04-20/

https://www.space.com/cern-large-hadron-collider-turn-on-run-3

• Like 8

On Friday, particles were pushed through the collider’s almost 17-mile ring for the first time since December 2018.

The LHC, at Cern, on the French/Swiss border near Geneva, was switched off in 2018 to let scientists and engineers from around the world make it even more powerful.

As part of the international effort, UK teams have been involved in helping to improve the performance of each of the LHC’s four main instruments.

The UK’s contributions to the upgrade are worth more than £25 million, funded by the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).

This third run of the LHC, called Run 3, will see the machine’s experiments collecting data from collisions not only at a record energy but also in unparalleled numbers.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/worlds-most-powerful-particle-accelerator-comes-back-to-life-after-three-years-41577718.html

• Thanks 2

That would be good. It seems pretty weird they canot figure out what something is that they know exists and say it makes up the majority of the universe. Maybe it really is the Ether :w00t: 

• Like 1

Excellent news and we don't really get enough of that lately. I wonder if I will ever know what dark matter really is in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 2:56 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Excellent news and we don't really get enough of that lately. I wonder if I will ever know what dark matter really is in my lifetime.

Almost certainly. Unless you're like 103 now.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:52 AM, Hyperionxvii said:

That would be good. It seems pretty weird they canot figure out what something is that they know exists and say it makes up the majority of the universe. Maybe it really is the Ether :w00t: 

It's not "the Ether", and nor is this situation particularly "weird".

Dark matter and especially dark energy probably don't exist, but are a temporary explanation for some force of nature we have yet to explain.

Edited by Opus Magnus

18 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

Dark matter and especially dark energy probably don't exist, but are a temporary explanation for some force of nature we have yet to explain.

The easiest explanation is our understanding of gravity is wrong.

If it drops off at a slightly lower rate than the inverse square law, that being such a low rate we never realised until looked at galactic sized objects, it would explain why gravity across galactic sized objects is stronger than it should be.

It also could be a problem with the maths of General Relativity in that it allows infinitely small distances and infinitely small masses. Assuming we live in a pixelated universe at some scale we would notice a divergence from what GR predicts and what is actually observed.

27 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The easiest explanation is our understanding of gravity is wrong.

If it drops off at a slightly lower rate than the inverse square law, that being such a low rate we never realised until looked at galactic sized objects, it would explain why gravity across galactic sized objects is stronger than it should be.

It also could be a problem with the maths of General Relativity in that it allows infinitely small distances and infinitely small masses. Assuming we live in a pixelated universe at some scale we would notice a divergence from what GR predicts and what is actually observed.

Your idea is probably the best, but...

The last time I was reading about Dark Energy I was wondering if the universe was not made in a beautiful big bang of creation, but more so of a gun going off in murder. I was wondering if the velocity of the bullet being fired would make the galaxies continue to move apart, rather than having a stationary and uniform big bang. I'm not sure if this would influence the rotation of the galaxies that dark matter is supposed to influence. I thought a dark initial murder of the universe might explain the reason it is dark evil energy and matter that is driving us apart.

Another hypothesis is like one I thought of when I was younger. If there were a void shaped like a lense around us, then that would influence our perception of red and blue shift light. Everything might not be so far away from us as we thought. This would be the Dark Void hypothesis.

https://www.space.com/5912-live-giant-cosmic-bubble.html

1 minute ago, Opus Magnus said:

Your idea is probably the best, but...

The last time I was reading about Dark Energy I was wondering if the universe was not made in a beautiful big bang of creation, but more so of a gun going off in murder. I was wondering if the velocity of the bullet being fired would make the galaxies continue to move apart, rather than having a stationary and uniform big bang. I'm not sure if this would influence the rotation of the galaxies that dark matter is supposed to influence. I thought a dark initial murder of the universe might explain the reason it is dark evil energy and matter that is driving us apart.

Another hypothesis is like one I thought of when I was younger. If there were a void shaped like a lense around us, then that would influence our perception of red and blue shift light. Everything might not be so far away from us as we thought. This would be the Dark Void hypothesis.

https://www.space.com/5912-live-giant-cosmic-bubble.html

The Big Bang was not an explosion radiating off energy and matter in all directions. It was the inflation of space. If you look at how galaxies are moving across the universe they are not flying out from a central point. They are all moving from each other because the space between them is growing. If you reverse that growth you get to the point where no space existed between anything. Thats the Big Bang.

Another interesting proposition is maybe the strength of gravity has changed during the lifetime of the universe. After all, when we look at a distant galaxy we are looking at how it was however many millions or billions of years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Almost certainly. Unless you're like 103 now.

Holy cow, How ya been, Emma? I have not seen you in years. 

53 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The Big Bang was not an explosion radiating off energy and matter in all directions. It was the inflation of space. If you look at how galaxies are moving across the universe they are not flying out from a central point. They are all moving from each other because the space between them is growing. If you reverse that growth you get to the point where no space existed between anything. Thats the Big Bang.

Another interesting proposition is maybe the strength of gravity has changed during the lifetime of the universe. After all, when we look at a distant galaxy we are looking at how it was however many millions or billions of years ago.

So if that is the case it sounds like galaxies just formed like coagulating pond scum. After they start to form bacterial clusters the rest just appear drift away from each other.

I found this description, but it can't tell you where matter came from. It's Hubble's Law. I especially like this example because it is like the Gospel parable Jesus spoke in Matthew 13:33.

"33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened."

990404s.gif

Figure 10.6: Animated image showing the rising of a loaf of raisin bread dough. This animation contains the same idea as in Figure 10.5, but expanded to three spatial dimensions instead of one.  The raisins in the dough are like the dots on the rubber band or galaxies in the Universe.  As the dough expands, the separation between the raisins increases, just like the separation between galaxies in our Universe

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/astro801/content/l10_p4.html

Matthew 13:33

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Emma_Acid said:

It's not "the Ether", and nor is this situation particularly "weird".

Well, that was a joke. But I don't think anyone will stop you from telling us what it is? 

On 4/23/2022 at 12:52 AM, Hyperionxvii said:

Although the original idea of an Either was wrong the Higgs field is sort of a similar thing. A medium which waves travel through. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

Although the original idea of an Either was wrong the Higgs field is sort of a similar thing. A medium which waves travel through. 

Not really.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Holy cow, How ya been, Emma? I have not seen you in years. 

Yes mate! I'm back! In very limited amounts! I kinda check in every few weeks now. It got too much over the last few years, pandemic-wise. Hope you're good? x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Yes mate! I'm back! In very limited amounts! I kinda check in every few weeks now. It got too much over the last few years, pandemic-wise. Hope you're good? x

Well, that's great, Emma. Look forward to your posts. :tu:

• Like 1