Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there alien tech lying at the bottom of the sea ?

UM-Bot

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Astro

And I responded to you saying it’s doing a crappy job. If it is a job then there is an assumed intelligence behind it. As it stands there is not so there is no requirement for evolved life in the universe and it is a matter of having the right conditions at the right time. Or in other words by chance.

Thank you for agreeing with me! :tu:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, astrobeing said:

And... how do you get the simple life to appear on a dark cold planet?

How did it appear here (spoilers - current theory is “bottom of cold dark ocean”)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, astrobeing said:

If the universe exists to create life (as you said) then why would it create any worthless planets outside the Goldilock zone? They do nothing to promote life in the solar system.

Could be just a by product of the way a solar system develops. Otherwise though we have orbit around the sun and gravity , maybe having planets around us helps keep our orbit stable and in place. They could be here just for us , to think , sounds like blasphemy. Or maybe just for us to look at or keep it interesting , who knows. And life was created in our solar system and the other planets are here , so they must be here for a reason. But i get it ,  their are billions and trillions of galaxies with billions and trillions of suns in each , and we're the only life in all of it that accidentally developed.

Edited by razman

19 hours ago, razman said:

Could be just a by product of the way a solar system develops.

Yes, and that's proof that the universe is not designed to produce life. If my job is to build houses and I dump ten thousand tons of unused construction material behind every house then am I doing a good job at building houses?

Otherwise though we have orbit around the sun and gravity , maybe having planets around us helps keep our orbit stable and in place.

Oh my gosh, you really don't know anything about planets travel in our solar system. I learned this stuff in the six grade.

They could be here just for us , to think , sounds like blasphemy. Or maybe just for us to look at or keep it interesting , who knows.

Then why would the universe put them so damn far from Earth that we have to build giant telescopes just get a blurry look at these "interesting" things?

And life was created in our solar system and the other planets are here , so they must be here for a reason.

Yes, because the laws of physics are great at creating rocky planets that can't support life and gas giants that can't support life. They are absolutely terrible at creating life and the conditions that can support life for any length of time.

But i get it ,  their [sic] are billions and trillions of galaxies with billions and trillions of suns in each , and we're the only life in all of it that accidentally developed.

I never said that and it shows you don't understand how statistics work.

21 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

How did it appear here (spoilers - current theory is “bottom of cold dark ocean”)

No, current theory is a warm dark ocean full of elements that don't exist on Europa.

54 minutes ago, astrobeing said:

Yes, and that's proof that the universe is not designed to produce life. If my job is to build houses and I dump ten thousand tons of unused construction material behind every house then am I doing a good job at building houses?

Oh my gosh, you really don't know anything about planets travel in our solar system. I learned this stuff in the six grade.

Then why would the universe put them so damn far from Earth that we have to build giant telescopes just get a blurry look at these "interesting" things?

Yes, because the laws of physics are great at creating rocky planets that can't support life and gas giants that can't support life. They are absolutely terrible at creating life and the conditions that can support life for any length of time.

I never said that and it shows you don't understand how statistics work.

Sounds like you got it all figured out.

No, current theory is a warm dark ocean full of elements that don't exist on Europa.

Currently doesn’t exist on Europa. 
Something’s gotta keep that water in a liquid state. 

22 hours ago, razman said:

Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Yeah, I learned a lot about the universe in school and by reading books.

19 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Currently doesn’t exist on Europa. 
Something’s gotta keep that water in a liquid state. 

And the elements?

5 hours ago, astrobeing said:

And the elements?

We just discovered liquid water there. An elemental analysis kind of needs boots on the ground (so to speak). 

7 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Yeah, I learned a lot about the universe in school and by reading books.

So you must have read that gravity keeps planets around the sun. Do you not think that the gravitational fields of the planets overlap?

4 hours ago, razman said:

So you must have read that gravity keeps planets around the sun. Do you not think that the gravitational fields of the planets overlap?

Mass is proportional to gravity.  The Earth has a gravitational pull on the Sun.  But, the Sun is really, really big compared to the really, really small planets.

Edited by Golden Duck

5 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Mass is proportional to gravity.  The Earth has a gravitational pull on the Sun.  But, the Sun is really, really big compared to the really, really small planets.

True , but there still could be a small effect , maybe not a whole lot , but some.

43 minutes ago, razman said:

True , but there still could be a small effect , maybe not a whole lot , but some.

Jupiter has about one hundredth of the effect the Moon has.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

We just discovered liquid water there. An elemental analysis kind of needs boots on the ground (so to speak). 

But it takes much much more than warm salty water to create life much less extremophiles. People often incorrectly think that if some conditions somewhere are sort of like some conditions here on Earth then there has to be life there. That's like saying if I have the ingredients for a chocolate cake in my kitchen then there has to be a chocolate cake in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, astrobeing said:

But it takes much much more than warm salty water to create life much less extremophiles. People often incorrectly think that if some conditions somewhere are sort of like some conditions here on Earth then there has to be life there. That's like saying if I have the ingredients for a chocolate cake in my kitchen then there has to be a chocolate cake in there somewhere.

And until recently, there was no flour anywhere except my kitchen. Now we’ve discovered flour in someone else’s kitchen, then there could be chocolate cake there too! Let’s get just a little excited about that. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And until recently, there was no flour anywhere except my kitchen. Now we’ve discovered flour in someone else’s kitchen, then there could be chocolate cake there too! Let’s get just a little excited about that. 

Because you think flour makes chocolate cake...

5 hours ago, Trelane said:

If there's cake involved, count me in!

Cake and a good gin and tonic.  

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

8 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Because you think flour makes chocolate cake...

Tis one of rhe important ingredients, and we’vefound flour on Europa. We need to look harder for milk, eggs and scotch.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Tis one of rhe important ingredients, and we’vefound flour on Europa. We need to look harder for milk, eggs and scotch.

Believe it or not, water is a fairly common element in the universe.

Believe it or not, water is a fairly common element in the universe.

Believe it or not, but looking at those other places in the universe for life is really really hard, as opposed to just hard on Europa. So let’s look for life on Europa, because it might be there.

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Believe it or not, but looking at those other places in the universe for life is really really hard, as opposed to just hard on Europa. So let’s look for life on Europa, because it might be there.

You mean there might not be life on Europa, Hats???