Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Scientific Test Dates Shroud of Turin to the Time of Christ's Death

markdohle

Wouldn't that be something if this truly was the death shroud of Jesus?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No.

The founder of the largest religion on the planet's death shroud and just....meh. :rolleyes:  Give me a break, that would be pretty awesome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The founder of the largest religion on the planet's death shroud and just....meh. :rolleyes:  Give me a break, that would be pretty awesome.

Not really. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not really. 

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Lol. This conversation reminds me of that quote.

Except this doesn't have to have anything to do with a miracle to be cool.  Put it this way, if we verifiably had the death shroud from any famous person that died 2,000 years ago, that is cool.  It's also cool finding old roman coins or jewelry in your garden in England or arrowheads here. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Except this doesn't have to have anything to do with a miracle to be cool.  Put it this way, if we verifiably had the death shroud from any famous person that died 2,000 years ago, that is cool.  It's also cool finding old roman coins or jewelry in your garden in England or arrowheads here. 

I was viewing the word "miracle" as the way I feel like Einstein probably did. Not really as supernatural just as a respect for all the things that had to fall into place for something to happen. Like humans developing the technology to see when Jesus died from a peice of clothes if pretty miraculous to me 

• Like 4

Sorry, I've had the 'miracle' aspect of existence beaten psychologically out of me over the years by people on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I was viewing the word "miracle" as the way I feel like Einstein probably did. Not really as supernatural just as a respect for all the things that had to fall into place for something to happen. Like humans developing the technology to see when Jesus died from a peice of clothes if pretty miraculous to me 

If you could prove who it was.  The shroud will always be a focus of faith for people that view it religiously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sorry, I've had the 'miracle' aspect of existence beaten psychologically out of me over the years by people on this forum.

49976-oh_my_god___they_killed_kenny___by

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

This wasn't a joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

This wasn't a joke.

Then it's a choice.

Just now, OverSword said:

Then it's a choice.

Not around here. I'd love to see miracles in things. Even if the shroud ends up being legit, I can't feel anything regarding that truth. Had the idea of science is God and we're just meaningless meat robots bashed into my brains by that atheist. 

So if this possible miracle gives someone hope, congratulations. I can't feel stuff like that any longer. 

• Like 1

I remember reading that the shroud was involved in a fire in the 1200's and was repaired to some extent with new material. Possibly the earlier 700 year old carbon dating was the date of the restoring threads.

24 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not around here. I'd love to see miracles in things. Even if the shroud ends up being legit, I can't feel anything regarding that truth. Had the idea of science is God and we're just meaningless meat robots bashed into my brains by that atheist. 

So if this possible miracle gives someone hope, congratulations. I can't feel stuff like that any longer. 

Idk, it's like a perspective thing.

We could either view the human body and brain as a meatbag full of chemicals and hormones or as one of the most complex and adaptable pieces of hardware to exist. 

Both are true. Just depends on how we want to view it 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Idk, it's like a perspective thing.

We could either view the human body and brain as a meatbag full of chemicals and hormones or as one of the most complex and adaptable pieces of hardware to exist. 

Both are true. Just depends on how we want to view it 

Imagine one of these ideas hammered into your head? Imagine you're angry and depressed when it's happening.

The ex-christian aspect of my psyche is "cool", the other aspect see's this as meaningless. I kinda like the Christian part a bit more. Even though it would meaning I'm an illogical imbecile for it.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

I have a feeling this is not new. The WAXS technique is not a dating technique.

The excuse here is that the C-14 dating method has problems. That's well known. From the link in the OP:

"Fabric samples are usually subject to all kinds of contamination, which cannot always be controlled and completely removed from the dated specimen," De Caro explained to NCR.

The same is true of the WAXS technique. The main problem with WAXS is that it is not a calibrated dating method. C-14 is a well understood method.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I think the last time it was fiber strength testing as a means of determining the age. That too was a dating method that was not calibrated.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have to find historical evidence that he existed first.

The only historic prophet named Jesus was flattened with a rock. Not crucified.

If I remember right this related video is pretty good.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If I remember right this related video is pretty good.

:sleepy:

Josephus's account was a case of pious fraud by a unknown editor.

Everyone else he talks about I read ( slug through is more like it) and long forgot. 

• Like 5