Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappearing and Reappearing Book Pages

MoonCheeks

A couple of days ago, a student brought his book to my desk. He wanted help with his homework. The homework was on pages 198 and 199. These two pages face each other. He opened the book and pages 198 and 199 were missing. The pages numbers from the previous page was 196 and 197... then 198 and 199 were missing... and it continued to 200 and 201. We examined the book and couldn't understand why 198 and 199 were missing. We examined the book to see if the pages had been removed or were stuck together. Nope. A crisp, newish book with no torn out pages. We figured it was a misprint. I asked him to go grab another book from one of the desks. He left my desk, walked about 10 feet away, grabbed a book and returned to my desk. During this time, I did not touch the book that had the missing pages. When he returned to my desk...maybe 15 seconds later... we looked at the book that had the missing pages and... the pages 198 and 199 were visible. We both looked shocked and picked up the book to look at it again. He even felt the pages again to see if they had been stuck together. Nope. I asked him "Ummm, what just happened? Do you see what I see now?" He said "Yes!" I joked that the universe must be playing with us because - as clear as day - we both were aware that the pages were not visible and then became visible. It was the weirdest experience for both of us. 

I returned home and decided to take a nap. I was in bed and under the covers with the air conditioning on. I slept for about one hour and woke up. I stretched under the covers and my foot felt something very, very cold. I thought the blanket must have not covered the sheet area and had made that part of the bed very cold (I had the A/C on a very low temperature). I moved my foot over the place again and it was obvious that it wasn't just a cold feeling from cold air. It was wet. I pulled back the blanket and there was a 20 inch in diameter puddle of water on my sheets (left, lower hand side of the bed if you are standing at the bottom of the bed, facing the bed). It wasn't damp. It was very wet. I immediately look up to the ceiling to see if it was leaking. Nope. Nothing had been placed on this spot and I had fluffed my sheets and blanket before I napped. No water before I napped. 

Has anyone experienced something like this before?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MoonCheeks said:

Nothing quite like that, no. But there is a claimed phenomenon called 'Glitch in the Matrix' where seemingly inexplicable things just like your book story happen all the time. On another forum I go to people almost daily submit a new story such as yours'. 

I believe these things are indeed something more mysterious than human sensory error but don't ask me to explain them, lol.

13 hours ago, MoonCheeks said:

A couple of days ago, a student brought his book to my desk.

What is the book about?

What is the title of the book?

What was written on those 2 missing pages?

A glitch in the matrix could well explain it. :)  For me, it was a very cool experience, but my student was a bit rattled. The book's title is Barron's IELTS (an English proficiency book for foreign language learners) and both pages dealt with synonyms. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MoonCheeks said:

A couple of days ago, a student brought his book to my desk. He wanted help with his homework. The homework was on pages 198 and 199. These two pages face each other. He opened the book and pages 198 and 199 were missing. The pages numbers from the previous page was 196 and 197... then 198 and 199 were missing... and it continued to 200 and 201. We examined the book and couldn't understand why 198 and 199 were missing. We examined the book to see if the pages had been removed or were stuck together. Nope. A crisp, newish book with no torn out pages. We figured it was a misprint. I asked him to go grab another book from one of the desks. He left my desk, walked about 10 feet away, grabbed a book and returned to my desk. During this time, I did not touch the book that had the missing pages. When he returned to my desk...maybe 15 seconds later... we looked at the book that had the missing pages and... the pages 198 and 199 were visible. We both looked shocked and picked up the book to look at it again. He even felt the pages again to see if they had been stuck together. Nope. I asked him "Ummm, what just happened? Do you see what I see now?" He said "Yes!" I joked that the universe must be playing with us because - as clear as day - we both were aware that the pages were not visible and then became visible. It was the weirdest experience for both of us. 

I returned home and decided to take a nap. I was in bed and under the covers with the air conditioning on. I slept for about one hour and woke up. I stretched under the covers and my foot felt something very, very cold. I thought the blanket must have not covered the sheet area and had made that part of the bed very cold (I had the A/C on a very low temperature). I moved my foot over the place again and it was obvious that it wasn't just a cold feeling from cold air. It was wet. I pulled back the blanket and there was a 20 inch in diameter puddle of water on my sheets (left, lower hand side of the bed if you are standing at the bottom of the bed, facing the bed). It wasn't damp. It was very wet. I immediately look up to the ceiling to see if it was leaking. Nope. Nothing had been placed on this spot and I had fluffed my sheets and blanket before I napped. No water before I napped. 

It could and most likely is something mundane but keep us posted if it ramps up. Some poltergeist activity starts as something small and annoying.

• Like 1

Fascinating story.  Thanks for sharing.

Wait...

Come on people!  The OP left out a very important detail of his 'book' encounter:

On 4/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, MoonCheeks said:

We examined the book to see if the pages had been removed or were stuck together. Nope. A crisp, newish book with no torn out pages. We figured it was a misprint. I asked him to go grab another book from one of the desks. He left my desk, walked about 10 feet away, grabbed a book and returned to my desk. During this time, I did not touch the book that had the missing pages. When he returned to my desk...maybe 15 seconds later... we looked at the book that had the missing pages and... the pages 198 and 199 were visible.

I'm not saying the OP is making anything up about the story...but I am saying the OP left out a very important detail, and probably doesn't even remember the detail.

He brought back another book.  Now, memory is a very funny thing.  The detail that the OP left out was the timeline from the time he returned with the book until the book was opened.  Obviously something happened in between.   They either looked at the new book, thinking it was the old book, or the old book had a duplicated set of pages in the wrong place. 

There is nothing bizarre or paranormal or strange about any of this.  

(I had the A/C on a very low temperature)

Condensation from the AC...nothing more nothing less....

Reality people!  REality!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating!  Since you both checked the book, and the pages were gone, then back, for both of you, that's definitely an odd experience.  I haven't had one quite like that, though I have had a rather odd experience with a book. In my case, a novel called Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight.  Genetically engineered dinosaurs are the theme, and this book was published six years before Jurassic Park.  Not the same story, other than that element, and both good reads.  I obtained a copy of the book around '87.  One scene has a dinosaur that is similar to a T-Rex entering a backyard, drinking from the pool, and grabbing the family dog, all of this witnessed by a boy from his window.  He tells the parents, and they blame one another, assuming he's imagining the whole incident, blaming his aquarium, etc.  Sound familiar?  They used the exact scene in The Lost World movie (which is far different from Crichton's excellent novel.  When we saw the movie int he theater, I was more than a little surprised.  Watched the titles, searching for any mention of the Knight book, but there was nothing.  When we got home, I went and grabbed the book, and showed family members the passage.  They were just as surprised. 

Some years later, I was thinking about it again, and decided to re-read the book, but it was missing.  So I went searching for another copy, and actually located one in a local used book store.  Same edition, same cover, everything.  Well, almost.  Guess which scene was missing from the book?  That's right; the entire scene with the tarbosaurus and the pool.  Just gone.  No missing pages, as far as you could tell, just a whole section eliminated as though it had never existed.  I'd actually posted about the movie using the scene online, so people were aware that there was a problem, or at least that someone claimed there was one.  I don't know what to think.  The only non-paranormal explanation is that someone saw my post/rant, and took my book, then worked to place altered versions.  Makes no sense, though.  Movie makers might want that, since they stole the scene, but how would they be capable?  Who else would want to do it?  Multiple people saw the book I had, with the scene, clearly remember reading the section, and all of the discussion, so a hallucination can't be claimed.  I'd read the book many times, too, and remembered the scene quite well.  Still can't explain it.

• Confused 1

• 6 months later...

That is a great story and super weird thank you for sharing !! The book page phenomena would have definitely tripped me out especially sense you guys checked it multiple times, many would say there is a valid explanation for that but there truly isn't. I would definitely say its a glitch in the matrix no question about it in my mind. The water thing is strange too when you got up was the puddle still there or did that disappear too???

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, joc said:

Wait...

Come on people!  The OP left out a very important detail of his 'book' encounter:

I'm not saying the OP is making anything up about the story...but I am saying the OP left out a very important detail, and probably doesn't even remember the detail.

He brought back another book.  Now, memory is a very funny thing.  The detail that the OP left out was the timeline from the time he returned with the book until the book was opened.  Obviously something happened in between.   They either looked at the new book, thinking it was the old book, or the old book had a duplicated set of pages in the wrong place. 

There is nothing bizarre or paranormal or strange about any of this.  

Condensation from the AC...nothing more nothing less....

Reality people!  REality!

As we know you are far more civil than myself and since i just buried a friend im way cynical, the book story is just that a "story" zero to prove its not made up.

What bugs me is in a case like this how easy it would be to whip out that phone cam and document it which of course didnt happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

As we know you are far more civil than myself and since i just buried a friend im way cynical, the book story is just that a "story" zero to prove its not made up.

What bugs me is in a case like this how easy it would be to whip out that phone cam and document it which of course didnt happen.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.:cry:

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:05 PM, LadyPhoenix said:

Fascinating!  Since you both checked the book, and the pages were gone, then back, for both of you, that's definitely an odd experience.  I haven't had one quite like that, though I have had a rather odd experience with a book. In my case, a novel called Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight.  Genetically engineered dinosaurs are the theme, and this book was published six years before Jurassic Park.  Not the same story, other than that element, and both good reads.  I obtained a copy of the book around '87.  One scene has a dinosaur that is similar to a T-Rex entering a backyard, drinking from the pool, and grabbing the family dog, all of this witnessed by a boy from his window.  He tells the parents, and they blame one another, assuming he's imagining the whole incident, blaming his aquarium, etc.  Sound familiar?  They used the exact scene in The Lost World movie (which is far different from Crichton's excellent novel.  When we saw the movie int he theater, I was more than a little surprised.  Watched the titles, searching for any mention of the Knight book, but there was nothing.  When we got home, I went and grabbed the book, and showed family members the passage.  They were just as surprised. 

Some years later, I was thinking about it again, and decided to re-read the book, but it was missing.  So I went searching for another copy, and actually located one in a local used book store.  Same edition, same cover, everything.  Well, almost.  Guess which scene was missing from the book?  That's right; the entire scene with the tarbosaurus and the pool.  Just gone.  No missing pages, as far as you could tell, just a whole section eliminated as though it had never existed.  I'd actually posted about the movie using the scene online, so people were aware that there was a problem, or at least that someone claimed there was one.  I don't know what to think.  The only non-paranormal explanation is that someone saw my post/rant, and took my book, then worked to place altered versions.  Makes no sense, though.  Movie makers might want that, since they stole the scene, but how would they be capable?  Who else would want to do it?  Multiple people saw the book I had, with the scene, clearly remember reading the section, and all of the discussion, so a hallucination can't be claimed.  I'd read the book many times, too, and remembered the scene quite well.  Still can't explain it.

Sorry, im not sold it wasnt your mind playing tricks, i dont care you claim friends claim to recall reading the same thing because i read the same book when it came out and do not recall what you claim was deleted. And why before the fact would a group discuss such a scene. I think your mind just mixed it all up, nothing paranormal no silly matrix glitch needed.

Its about being human, we all are.

Very interesting and fascinating experience and if you obtain more information let us know more updates. 

On 11/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, saniya15 said:

That is a great story and super weird thank you for sharing !! The book page phenomena would have definitely tripped me out especially sense you guys checked it multiple times, many would say there is a valid explanation for that but there truly isn't. I would definitely say its a glitch in the matrix no question about it in my mind. The water thing is strange too when you got up was the puddle still there or did that disappear too???

Weird for certain!  I knew the book well, long before that movie was released, and was shocked that they didn't credit the author for his scene.  Wish I had that original copy now. 

Puddle?

On 11/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, the13bats said:

Sorry, im not sold it wasnt your mind playing tricks, i dont care you claim friends claim to recall reading the same thing because i read the same book when it came out and do not recall what you claim was deleted. And why before the fact would a group discuss such a scene. I think your mind just mixed it all up, nothing paranormal no silly matrix glitch needed.

Its about being human, we all are.

Think what you wish.  The topic was discussed because, before my original copy was gone, I posted about the scene theft online.  That was the reason for the discussion, not the missing pages in the later copy.  I got the original while actually working in a bookstore.  No mix-up at all, and several other people read the scene in that copy of the book.  They remember it well.  It was some time later when I replaced the book, and discovered the pages were missing. 

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, LadyPhoenix said:

Think what you wish.  The topic was discussed because, before my original copy was gone, I posted about the scene theft online.  That was the reason for the discussion, not the missing pages in the later copy.  I got the original while actually working in a bookstore.  No mix-up at all, and several other people read the scene in that copy of the book.  They remember it well.  It was some time later when I replaced the book, and discovered the pages were missing. 

When you ask if they recall it as you did you just salted it planted a false memory.

A lot of people are just like you and cannot maybe too big fragile ego to admit they are human and their have faulty memories.

Edited by the13bats

On 5/1/2022 at 4:15 AM, MoonCheeks said:

Yes.  During my PhD.  I had been taking notes on various authors and getting crucial quotes down for later use into a footnoting database.  There is nothing quite so frustrating as then going to the electronic footnotes, and using that to reference a page, only to find that the electronic footnote is wrong.  So you correct it and make a paper record.  Then you come back and the quote is gone from the paper page, and when you check up your hand notes it is back on the previous page that you corrected.  Or then there are the ones where the reference seemed to delete itself out of a paper book entirely only to show up again 5 months later.  I must have been Mandela Effecting like a MF.  So frustrating!  I'll have my revenge on those MFs at CERN yet!<_<

Lol, ME a dramatic name a person gave faulty memory to profit off of it from the credulous.