Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humanity needs to survive 400,000 years if we want any chance of hearing from aliens

Still Waters

19 minutes ago, Nobu said:

No chance

Oh, ye of little faith. :D

• Like 2

Thanks, pair of researchers.

How can anyone put a timeline on this?..its hilarious. Personally I think intelligent life is incredibly rare and the odds of contact are exceedinly high

• Like 6

We'll never know. Distance are too great and in all likelihood we are alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

We'll never know. Distance are too great and in all likelihood we are alone.

I honestly don’t believe that we are alone, but I do believe that the distances are too great for detection of ET, let alone any meaningful communication. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 8

The arrogance of the "science" is breathtaking.

Who says that aliens haven't already been here? The time span of the universe is immense and beyond the comprehension of the people behind this theory.

I guess they are assuming, in response to a message from us, but they could already be here tomorrow for all we know, just causing around and reaching out!

• Haha 4

On 5/3/2022 at 4:04 AM, Still Waters said:

That's according to some new research into Communicating Extraterrestrial Intelligent Civilizations (CETIs).

Should this be considered research or speculation?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Should this be considered research or speculation?

Probably both, research based on speculation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The arrogance of the "science" is breathtaking.

Why is science arrogant?

Who says that aliens haven't already been here? The time span of the universe is immense and beyond the comprehension of the people behind this theory.

Nobody is saying that ET hasn’t already been here. We just don’t know, so they put up one hypothetical scenario. Again, how is that arrogant?

I guess they are assuming, in response to a message from us, but they could already be here tomorrow for all we know, just causing around and reaching out!

Yes, they could be on our doorstep tomorrow. Chances of that happening are pretty slim to put it mildly, but again, we just don’t know. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 3

Honestly? And you people will laugh at me and do that little screwy faced emoticon- but, I deal in logic. The only way I see the human race making it is if we open Pandora’s box with artificial intelligence. I suspect we will be kept intact and going sort of as pets or museum pieces if we have any chance of surviving as a species. Artificial intelligence will become 100000 times more intelligent than a single human within the first 24 hours of it’s aware existence. That’s assuming computer technology continues its current processing projection.

51 minutes ago, Nobu said:

Artificial intelligence will become 100000 times more intelligent than a single human within the first 24 hours of it’s aware existence.

I've listened to a lot Elon Musk has to say on the subject of AI.  He fears it more than anything else.  My question however is:  what do you mean 'aware existence'?  I know I am.  You know you are.  We all know that we are.  But how can AI 'know' that it is?  I have yet to understand how AI gets to ...I Am.  Can yo please splain me?  Gracias!  Yes...it's a real question...I am not being a smart ass.  :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Probably both, research based on speculation. 

I think it's the other way round.

However, no one can tell us anything about aliens. We don't know how, when or where they evolved or what they are capable of. The best we can do is extrapolate from what we know of ourselves.

And that may not be the best starting point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badeskov said:

Nobody is saying that ET hasn’t already been here.

Weren't they already here and built the Great Pyramids? :unsure2:

• Haha 5

On 5/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Still Waters said:

If there are so many galaxies, stars, and planets, where are all the aliens, and why haven't we heard from them?

Maybe they have tried to send us a simple message, but even that was far beyond our comprehension.

Maybe they are already here, but we don't recognize them as living beings.

Maybe they are as small as the tinyest of insects.

Maybe we are not interesting enough for a visit.

Maybe this, maybe that.

We have no way to know.

• Like 3

Things like this can only ever just be speculation & they are always given time lines so long no one would ever know the truth. One thing that always annoys me is when poeple refer to the vast distances ( I understand that this is just from MY perspective) is that they say "well space is so huge it would take 100,000 years to travel to this part or that part, Ok well with are slow space craft (well more high orbit craft) yes, but there tech may not. When you have scientist say things like that,  it always comes across as arrogent as in well if we can't do it nothing in the universe could. For me there are two possibilities  1=  we're really not as interesting as we think we are & they are  "leave them be untill there ready" or 2= we just happen to live in the wrong part of the galaxy to be found,  as loud as we are on earth when it comes to it, earth is quite is space

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, joc said:

I've listened to a lot Elon Musk has to say on the subject of AI.  He fears it more than anything else.  My question however is:  what do you mean 'aware existence'?  I know I am.  You know you are.  We all know that we are.  But how can AI 'know' that it is?  I have yet to understand how AI gets to ...I Am.  Can yo please splain me?  Gracias!  Yes...it's a real question...I am not being a smart ass.  :)

One theory is that at some point of cataloging different stimuli and the responses an organism will start preparing potential responses. Then it will start anticipating and preparing for future stimuli  after deeply analyzing the past experience. Then there is a leap to “what/why am I doing?”. To me that is a great leap. To the people that believe this they seem to think it isn’t a leap but natural progression. 

I personally cannot answer your question. What is self awareness and how does it come to be? The answer potentially unravels a lot of life’s mysteries. Great question. Perhaps we cannot create software that will become self aware. I have a hunch we will blunder into it though.

Edited by Nobu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NASA sends greeting to aliens with pics of naked male and female. The once massive SETI dish also sending message, now this.. As most of us already know, they are here. Accounts from those who have worked at Ducle, Intercepted Classified memos, and of course Bob Lazar, means at least to me, that saying hello doesn't take much..

• Haha 4