Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists describe a gravity telescope that could image exoplanets

Still Waters

In the time since the first exoplanet was discovered in 1992, astronomers have detected more than 5,000 planets orbiting other stars. But when astronomers detect a new exoplanet, we don't learn a lot about it: We know that it exists and a few features about it, but the rest is a mystery.

To sidestep the physical limitations of telescopes, Stanford University astrophysicists have been working on a new conceptual imaging technique that would be 1,000 times more precise than the strongest imaging technology currently in use. By taking advantage of gravity's warping effect on space-time, called lensing, scientists could potentially manipulate this phenomenon to create imaging far more advanced than any present today.

https://phys.org/news/2022-05-scientists-gravity-telescope-image-exoplanets.html

In a paper published on May 2 in The Astrophysical Journal, the researchers describe a way to manipulate solar gravitational lensing to view planets outside our solar system.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ac5e9d

• Like 4

Now this is to like, and I suspect cost will not be too large a consideration. Go for it! :tu:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 3

If I said I had an idea but couldn't actually invent it Alan Sugar would laugh me out the room.

That's awesome, I hope it happens. But just remember that a theoretical space ship can warp space and travel through wormholes, so it doesn't really mean a lot at this point.

Edited by Hyperionxvii