Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Has Managed To Record The Sound Of A Black Hole

Still Waters

Ever thought black holes produced sounds? Me neither. While many believed sound in space just wasn't possible, NASA has dispelled the myth, releasing a new video allowing us to hear what the black hole at the centre of the Perseus galaxy cluster sounds like.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/nasa-has-managed-to-record-the-sound-of-a-black-hole-20220505

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/new-nasa-black-hole-sonifications-with-a-remix.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well. That was eerie.

And on another note...

So, NASA scientists would like for me to believe that they can construct the sounds of a Black Hole in a Galaxy Cluster 240 light years away...

...not buying it.  Not even...

• Like 2

That sound is definately eerie, but in the first link there is the sound of another black hole that sounds like beautiful music.

I think it's just the way they manipulate the sound. Like if you record your voice and slow it down you sound like Satan, but if you speed it up you sound like a fairy.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 2

Go home black hole, you're drunk... 

~

• Haha 2

Is it the sound of the black hole or the matter/energy entering the black hole?   I dunno, just wondering.

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

That sound is definately eerie, but in the first link there is the sound of another black hole that sounds like beautiful music.

I think it's just the way they manipulate the sound. Like if you record your voice and slow it down you sound like Satan, but if you speed it up you sound like a fairy.

This sounds like something Mike Oldfield wrote and composed.

• Like 2

I’m glad I decided to not point out the childish fart noise that a black hole would make… golly gosh darn, looks like I did. Sorry 

• Haha 3

On 5/5/2022 at 8:44 PM, joc said:

And on another note...

So, NASA scientists would like for me to believe that they can construct the sounds of a Black Hole in a Galaxy Cluster 240 light years away...

...not buying it.  Not even...

Thanks for the laugh my friend, give them all hell.

Best wishes Joc, hope all is well!:tu:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

I’m glad I decided to not point out the childish fart noise that a black hole would make… golly gosh darn, looks like I did. Sorry 

Next they'll announce that they've also detected an odd smell emitting from the hole.

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for the laugh my friend, give them all hell.

Best wishes Joc, hope all is well!:tu:

Hi Manwon

Good to see you back again.:tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Manwon

Good to see you back again.:tu:

Thanks, but my stay will be short lived my friend.

Best wishes, hope you and yours are well!:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks, but my stay will be short lived my friend.

Best wishes, hope you and yours are well!:tu:

Good to see you again Manwon. Hope all is well with you and yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Good to see you again Manwon. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thank you Susie, but this will be short lived. Everything is fine, I have just been dealing with life.

Hope you and yours are also well, thanks for your comments!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
I might be missing the point, but i didn't think you could hear sounds in space, i thought soundwaves didn't travel through space.
  • Thanks 1

Looks to me like these are just sounds generated from images, Fruity Loops (FL studio) had such synth for years.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:47 AM, 95-Nasty said:

I might be missing the point, but i didn't think you could hear sounds in space, i thought soundwaves didn't travel through space.

No, you cannot hear any sounds in near-empty regions of space. Sound travels through the vibration of atoms and molecules in a medium (such as air or water). In space, where there is no air, sound has no way to travel.

so .... perhaps sound can exist inside the black hole...(I don't see how) ...and no one has a way really to 'hear' them even if they did.  But they expect us to just believe everything they say.  smh

Edited by joc

On 5/20/2022 at 4:38 AM, joc said:

No, you cannot hear any sounds in near-empty regions of space. Sound travels through the vibration of atoms and molecules in a medium (such as air or water). In space, where there is no air, sound has no way to travel.

so .... perhaps sound can exist inside the black hole...(I don't see how) ...and no one has a way really to 'hear' them even if they did.  But they expect us to just believe everything they say.  smh

Maybe you should have first read the article.

Quote from the LadBible link:

"The popular misconception that there is no sound in space originates with the fact that most of space is essentially a vacuum, providing no medium for sound waves to propagate through.

"A galaxy cluster, on the other hand, has copious amounts of gas that envelop the hundreds or even thousands of galaxies within it, providing a medium for the sound waves to travel."

Interestingly, sound has been associated with this black hole since 2003, after astronomers discovered it sent out pressure waves that produced ripples in the cluster's hot gas. However, according to the space agency, the discovery indicated us humans aren't actually able to hear 57 octaves below middle C.

• Like 1