Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China demanded Sony remove statue of liberty from Spiderman. Sony said no

spartan max2

Posted (edited)

I guess Hollywood does have a line.

This definitely tops as one of the most ridiculous censorship request from the CCP.

For anyone who didn't watch the movie, basically the entire ending is a fight on the statue of liberty lol

YahoogetApp

NextShark

Sony loses millions after rejecting China’s demand to remove Statue of Liberty from new ‘Spider-Man' film

Ryan General

Tue, May 3, 2022, 1:04 PM·1 min read

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” was not released in China after Sony rejected a request to delete scenes that include the Statue of Liberty, a new report claims.

In China, films are reviewed by the China Film Administration under the Publicity Department of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). According to multiple sources who spoke to Puck, Chinese authorities initially wanted Sony and Marvel Studios to take out the American landmark, which is prominently featured during the film's third act.

Chinese regulators reportedly modified the original request to remove the action-packed sequence, instead asking for the removal of certain shots from the sequence that they deemed too “patriotic,” such as the scenes where Tom Holland’s Spider-Man stands on the Statue of Liberty’s crown. The regulators also suggested dimming the parts when the statue is shown to make it less noticeable.

Sony ultimately rejected the request, resulting in Chinese authorities preventing the latest Spider-Man film from being released in the biggest film market in the world. The film lost a potential $170 million-$340 million in sales from China, according

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/sony-loses-millions-rejecting-china-180433530.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

When will those people rise up and put that corrupt system to bed?

(turns around and repeats the same thing to every other nation)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, quiXilver said:

When will those people rise up and put that corrupt system to bed?

(turns around and repeats the same thing to every other nation)

Huh?

• Haha 1

Is continues to astound me that the dumbest arrogant jerks on the planet seem to get into positions of power like this. I don't know why such morons are allowed to even speak, let alone make such childish pathetic demands. 

• Like 3

Sony/Disney made 1.893 Billion worldwide on No Way Home without a China release.

Doctor Strange 2 won't remove references to a characters LGBTQ status and won't see release in China or the Middle East (Saudi Arabia for sure.). It's already opened strong with 187 mill it's first weekend. 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, Occupational Hubris said:

Sony/Disney made 1.893 Billion worldwide on No Way Home without a China release.

Doctor Strange 2 won't remove references to a characters LGBTQ status and won't see release in China or the Middle East (Saudi Arabia for sure.). It's already opened strong with 187 mill it's first weekend. 

I didn't hear about the LGBT one. I'm happy that Sony is deciding to no longer censor that stuff too. 

It's about time. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, Occupational Hubris said:

Watched it. Fantastic. Will send a bootleg copy to Xi Jinping and Moe bin Salman.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, spartan max2 said:

I didn't hear about the LGBT one. I'm happy that Sony is deciding to no longer censor that stuff too. 

It's about time. 

It mainly Disney refusing to bow as much. Sony has no idea how to run their move studio. 

• Like 1

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
10 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Anyone know why the request was made?

Read the OP?

Sony will win more cudos by having Spiderman as a black-market release in China - in fact the more China bans the more it'll seem weird to the Chinese.