Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious object crashes to earth in lightning storm

Conner, 23, was working the night shift at a meat packing plant in the US state of Texas, when he felt compelled to step out and record the unfolding storm. But it wasn’t the lightning that shocked him – instead, moments later he witnessed a UFO plunging out of the skies trailing a streak of light.

“I can’t say that I have encountered anything like this before,” said Conner, from Amarillo. “I’ve never really recorded the skies or anything and that day of the storm I really felt the need to record. “I’m open to any suggestions as to what it might be or what it was. “Best case scenario it was a meteor because I’ve never seen one! And worst case scenario, an alien invasion.”

Credit: Pen News

• Like 5

Ok that one… I got nothing. Cool video. It was either something really close or something really far away hauling straight asp…

• Like 1

A plane disposing human waste while on flight?

• Haha 1

alien47.jpg

• Haha 7

Must be tied in to that food processing plant thread. Maybe aliens are trying to starve us.
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

That's a meteor. Interesting that this person had never seen one.

I think it was more the timing of the event, and the circumstances ( During a thunderstorm with Lightening than anything else ). As far as never seeing a meteorite I a agree that’s kinda of strange, and I agree that’s what is in the video. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MissJatti said:

A plane disposing human waste while on flight?

If it was human waste, the Airline must have been serving a meal that was very very spicy hot for it to glow like that!:w00t::D

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

If it was human waste, the Airline must have been serving a meal that was very very spicy hot for it to glow like that!:w00t::D

I believe food that spicy is called tracer food. It leaves a glowing spot under the skin as it passes through the gut.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Nice to see you ML :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, onlookerofmayhem said:

Nice to see you ML :D

Thanks my friend, it’s also nice to be back while it will only be for a short time!

Be well my friend hope you and yours are doing well.:tu:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

That's a meteor. Interesting that this person had never seen one.

Too fast. I think it was some sort of lightning reflection.

47 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Be well my friend hope you and yours are doing well.

Be safe, be careful, do the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Be safe, be careful, do the right thing.

Thanks my friend, but I am not in any danger. 

Be well my friend, I appreciate your concern.:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Get a room

• Haha 1

Could it maybe be a drip of rain that is being illuminated by the lightning?
  • Like 2

For what it’s worth: @~22 seconds (scrubbing back and forth on phone) in one of the last frames that it is illuminated, it appears to be in front of the clouds.

Shame it’s only 720P.

With the original/uncompressed footage it would probably be easy to tell if in foreground or background.

I’m inclined to suggest it’s either something close to the light (bug) or a meteor/ite.

Also just noticed at ~25 seconds there is a similar thing which moves more top to bottom of the footage than diagonally.

If meteor/ite I would assume that two similar objects appearing similarly illuminated within a few seconds would more likely travel on very similar trajectories. These two things are on completely different trajectories (if at altitude/coming from space).

Screenshot of the 2nd below with arrow showing roughly the direction it moved. 

So that causes me to think more likely something close, like bugs flying into and out of the light.

335346E4-B236-4307-A2B0-B356B5C4A47B.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/8/2022 at 11:36 AM, Manwon Lender said:

This is why I ordered the ‘Bland meal’ option on one of the flights on my last holiday to VietNam!

(I actually really did order the ‘Bland meal’ as a joke, but it turned out to be a much nicer meal than the non-bland option my partner (at the time) had.)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Timothy said:

This is why I ordered the ‘Bland meal’ option on one of the flights on my last holiday to VietNam!

(I actually really did order the ‘Bland meal’ as a joke, but it turned out to be a much nicer meal than the non-bland option my partner (at the time) had.)

I think that was a good choice, Asian food in many Nations makes what is known as spicy in the West very very tame.

Hope your and yours are well my friend.:tu:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think that was a good choice, Asian food in many Nations makes what is known as spicy in the West very very tame.

Hope your and yours are well my friend.:tu:

Thank you. You and yours too mate!
Stay well and hopefully see you around these parts for a long time to come.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Nobu said:

Too fast. I think it was some sort of lightning reflection.

Not too fast.  The time we see it depends on the size of the particle entering the atmosphere and the angle at which it enters. This alters our sense of the speed of the particle which can travel up to 160,000mph. BTW, that's roughly 400,000 feet per second.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-faq/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

Not too fast.  The time we see it depends on the size of the particle entering the atmosphere and the angle at which it enters. This alters our sense of the speed of the particle which can travel up to 160,000mph. BTW, that's roughly 400,000 feet per second.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-faq/

Fair points. It’s hard to gauge terminal velocity by eye. At least for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nobu said:

Fair points. It’s hard to gauge terminal velocity by eye. At least for me.

The meteorites almost never reach terminal velocity. They burn up before then. What will be good for people on Mars is that although the Martian atmosphere is thin it is as thick as the atmosphere where most meteorites burn up as meteors in Earth's atmosphere.

One the things that makes this hard to gauge is that what the eye sees and what the camera captures are often not the same.

• Like 2

To me, it looks like it is actually two segments, one after the other. As if the duller bottom one is a reflection of the higher, brighter one. I wonder if it is due to the same thing that causes reflections of welder sparks in the air.