Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Musk says he would reverse Twitter's ban of Donald Trump

OverSword

Musk, speaking virtually at a Future of the Car summit hosted by the Financial Times, said Twitter’s Trump ban was a “morally bad decision” and “foolish in the extreme.” He said permanent bans of Twitter accounts should be rare and reserved for accounts that are scams or automated bots.

“I think that was a mistake because it alienated a large part of the country and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice,” Musk said. “So I think this may end up being frankly worse than having a single forum where everyone can debate. I guess the answer is that I would reverse the permanent ban.”

Link

Edited by Tiggs
Removed image intended to flamebait.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Trump acts like he doesn't want to owe Musk any favors for reversing his ban. He keeps saying 'no' he will stay on his own social media platform. I wonder if it's a personal competitive dispute between two alpha rich guys. That would be funny to see Trump having to kiss Musk's butt. :lol:

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

As much as I find Trump as a joke of a clown, I still say that it is his right to have a platform as well, if people cant see the amount of stupidity and BS coming out of him, than you have a cultural problem that needs to be address, Trump is a symptom not the desease.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, godnodog said:

As much as I find Trump as a joke of a clown, I still say that it is his right to have a platform as well, if people cant see the amount of stupidity and BS coming out of him, than you have a cultural problem that needs to be address, Trump is a symptom not the desease.

:lol:

Truth Social is America's "Big Tent" social media platform ...

At the moment, Truth Social is available for U.S. users only, ... 

Access denied ...

https://truthsocial.com/

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Katniss said:

Trump acts like he doesn't want to owe Musk any favors for reversing his ban. He keeps saying 'no' he will stay on his own social media platform. I wonder if it's a personal competitive dispute between two alpha rich guys. That would be funny to see Trump having to kiss Musk's butt. :lol:

I would say trump makes money off the app he owns and so is promoting it.  Once his twitter account is reactivated he won't be able to resist I bet.  Kind of like me swearing every morning  that today I will not go on UM and argue :D

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, godnodog said:

HE HAS A PLATFORM. he holds rallies every week where thousands can gladly go see what idiocy he has to say. If Twitter doesn't want his BS on their platform they don't have to allow it and it's not in any way an impediment to his right to free speech. 

• Like 2

Musk says a lot of stuff.  Fortunately, I don't have to listen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Katniss said:

Elon swatted Trump down like a fly when Devin Nunes tried to say Musk bought Twitter because Trump suggested he do it. Alpha rich guys know better than anyone Trump is a fake.

I was a lot more worried about this until I started looking at Elon's collection of interviews.  Republicans think he is wonderful now because of his free speech stand.  Will they go along with his plan for the future of America? Once he gets things moving will it even matter if they support it or not?

Those include Solar power, Wind power,  battery storage of power, electric transportation and AI robots to perform the menial tasks.  Definitely not the world of the 1950's.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, quiXilver said:

Also true, but I suggest you keep tabs on him.  Good or bad, he fits the definition of an oligarch. 

It is just a good business move to make Trump and his 80 million followers and 80 million detractors  active on Twitter again.  You can't have a profitable side show without the freaks and geeks.  The main attraction might be Elon's increased ability to get his own message shared.  He needs some positive support to move his programs along here in the early phases.

I admire some of his brilliance, but he has a darker side.  Check him out.  He intends to shape the world the way he wants it to be and he believes he can do that with vision and money.  It does not have anything to do with governments protecting ordinary citizens or majority opinions. It is a business model of unitary CEO / business owners who use their personal fortunes to get what they want. 

I am not opposed to his vision of the world, parts of it are much more exciting  and healthier than anything Republicans or Democrats can offer.   I am concerned about the price 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Elon swatted Trump down like a fly when Devin Nunes tried to say Musk bought Twitter because Trump suggested he do it. Alpha rich guys know better than anyone Trump is a fake.

I was a lot more worried about this until I started looking at Elon's collection of interviews.  Republicans think he is wonderful now because of his free speech stand. 

I think you are stereotyping there.   Some Republicans would be the better phrase.  

Similar to me posting this:

Democrats think biological males should be able to compete in female sports.  

• Like 4

The whole point about free speech – a point Musk clearly gets – is that if you don’t allow people to speak, you cannot challenge their ideas. Trump’s ban was the result of a cooked up claim that he was inciting violence. An objective observation of the relevant tweets showed no such thing. Indeed, the raving lunatic far left that festers in the Twittersphere actually do incite violence and no one does anything about it because that’s all okay. Some of the stuff on there is downright nasty, yet calm, polite disagreement – for example pointing out that you cannot change sex – gets labelled as hate speech, while actual hate goes unchecked. Now, like Musk, I’m happy for that to happen. Rational people will look at these rants and draw their own conclusions. The more they scream, shout and call for violence against their political opponents the more that reasonable people will shy away from them. That’s how it works.

So, yes, the Trump ban should be reversed and if that sends the twitterati into a paroxysm of incandescent rage, then so be it. We just need to order in more popcorn.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

think you are stereotyping there.   Some Republicans would be the better phrase.  

Correction noted.

Some Republicans think he is wonderful because they are in favor of free speech  or  should it just be some people?

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Correction noted.

Some Republicans think he is wonderful because they are in favor of free speech  or  should it just be some people?

I would hope most people are for free speech but I don't know how many.   I personally do not know anyone who thinks Trump is "wonderful" but I am sure there are some.   I know many who would vote for him over a Democrat but they would vote for another Republican against a Democrat as well because they side with the Republicans on more issues than they do the Democrats.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would hope most people are for free speech but I don't know how many.   I personally do not know anyone who thinks Trump is "wonderful" but I am sure there are some.   I know many who would vote for him over a Democrat but they would vote for another Republican against a Democrat as well because they side with the Republicans on more issues than they do the Democrats.  

Between a lunatic bigmouth clown and a dead possum, it's sure that the dead possum have nothing to say on twitter anyway...

If Trump can access twitter he will use it because he know how and he's able to.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Between a lunatic bigmouth clown and a dead possum, it's sure that the dead possum have nothing to say on twitter anyway...

If Trump can access twitter he will use it because he know how and he's able to.

I am happy to not have a Twitter account.   All I have is Facebook and only check it a couple times a week to see if there is any family or friends news that I should be aware of.  

I guess I am a part of a few groups outside of family.  Man Cave which posts pics of scantily clad women posing, a couple classic car groups and a few classic rock groups.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Hell, Musk says a lot of stuff and never follows through with it - case in point he was going to install a huge battery farm in South Australia and IIRC got a lot of money from the government for it and proceeded to do Sweet Fanny Arkwright. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Why would you not listen? 

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Why would you not listen? 

This oddly colored, light brown viscous state of matter presented to me by the lower humanoids is curiously tasty...

EXCUSE ME, I've just been notified by my handlers that it is called chocolate milk and it is a very good human beverage! Human beverage in that it is not made from humans, but humans drink it! Yes, excellent good human sustenance... 

• Haha 7

Oh joy, letting facists have access to a large media platform, this has never ever gone wrong in the entire history of humanity...

Der Stürmer Christian blood.jpg

Okay except that one time...

I fully support any merchant banker’s right to sprout loudly and openly their most turgid beliefs - that way we know whom to avoid, and perhaps even round up if it comes to needing to find the usual suspects. 
Mind you, last time a merchant banker sprouted loudly and openly their most turgid beliefs - he got elected. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Given the pandemic is almost over, and Trump is now a pariah, I agree with Musk.

The Trump brand is fading fast. He’s a Putin lackey. Every day we here more revelations of the extreme behavior that Trump engaged in. It’s sickening.

23 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Also true, but I suggest you keep tabs on him.  Good or bad, he fits the definition of an oligarch. 

It is just a good business move to make Trump and his 80 million followers and 80 million detractors  active on Twitter again.  You can't have a profitable side show without the freaks and geeks.  The main attraction might be Elon's increased ability to get his own message shared.  He needs some positive support to move his programs along here in the early phases.

I admire some of his brilliance, but he has a darker side.  Check him out.  He intends to shape the world the way he wants it to be and he believes he can do that with vision and money.  It does not have anything to do with governments protecting ordinary citizens or majority opinions. It is a business model of unitary CEO / business owners who use their personal fortunes to get what they want. 

I am not opposed to his vision of the world, parts of it are much more exciting  and healthier than anything Republicans or Democrats can offer.   I am concerned about the price 

My cup is nearly full currently, so not much room for what is not sought out.  Some of Musk gets through, but I'm not seeking him out any longer.  I have only so much energy in one day, currently, I'm striving to use that to nurture what I love, instead of notice what I despise.

22 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Correction noted.

22 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm for free speech. 

I'm also for culpability for consequences of free speech.

Just because you can say anything you wish, does not mean you are given a free pass to potential consequences of what you choose to speak.

Edited by quiXilver
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Given the pandemic is almost over, and Trump is now a pariah, I agree with Musk.

The Trump brand is fading fast. He’s a Putin lackey. Every day we here more revelations of the extreme behavior that Trump engaged in. It’s sickening.

and yet his core base are still there, foaming at the mouth, desperate to do his bidding...  gotta watch that **** like a hawk.

I'm all for free speech and I encourage the racists and misogynists to be open about it.  They're loud mouthing of their bigotry, saves me time in ferreting out who to avoid trusting and keeps me aware of who to watch for potential violence.  Cuz there's freedom of speech, but not freedom from consequences.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

My cup is nearly full currently, so not much room for what is not sought out.  Some of Musk gets through, but I'm not seeking him out any longer.  I have only so much energy in one day, currently, I'm striving to use that to nurture what I love, instead of notice what I despise.

I truly admire that.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I fully support any merchant banker’s right to sprout loudly and openly their most turgid beliefs - that way we know whom to avoid, and perhaps even round up if it comes to needing to find the usual suspects. 
Mind you, last time a merchant banker sprouted loudly and openly their most turgid beliefs - he got elected. 

Which merchant banker was that?

• The title was changed to Musk says he would reverse Twitter's ban of Donald Trump