Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Mice 'Rejuvenated' With Injections of Brain Fluid From The Young


Manwon Lender
 Share

Recommended Posts

While immortality might forever be out of reach, a long, healthy retirement is the stuff dreams are made of. To that end, a recent study suggests that the kinds of memory problems common in old age can be reversed, and all it takes is some cerebrospinal fluid harvested from the young. In mice, at least. This new study instead examined the links between memory and cerebrospinal fluid fluid (CSF), and the results show considerable promise, even providing a mechanism for how it works, and highlighting a potential growth factor that could mimic the results.

We know that CSF composition changes with age, and, in fact, these changes are used routinely in the clinic to assess brain health and disease biomarkers," Stanford University neurologist Tal Iram told ScienceAlert.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-rejuvenate-the-memories-of-elderly-mice-by-injecting-them-with-young-mouse-cerebrospinal-fluid
 

Medical Journal published in Nature: Young CSF restores oligodendrogenesis and memory in aged mice via Fgf17. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04722-0

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Oh good lord!  Now we will have rich old people stealing children and paying nurses to extract their cerebrospinal fluid and inject it into the old people's brains!    This could have a worse ending than Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil novel.

Who thinks of this stuff and why do they think it is a good avenue of research?  Oh, wait, the question is Who is paying for this research?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh good lord!  Now we will have rich old people stealing children and paying nurses to extract their cerebrospinal fluid and inject it into the old people's brains!    This could have a worse ending than Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil novel.

Who thinks of this stuff and why do they think it is a good avenue of research?  Oh, wait, the question is Who is paying for this research?

Exactly what I was thinking.  Or better yet, put the cerebral fluid from late term abortions to good use :tsu:

0*bHdq8EEUjdsf-fjk.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh good lord!  Now we will have rich old people stealing children and paying nurses to extract their cerebrospinal fluid and inject it into the old people's brains!    This could have a worse ending than Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil novel.

Who thinks of this stuff and why do they think it is a good avenue of research?  Oh, wait, the question is Who is paying for this research?

If that occurs it would be horrible, but hopefully things will not go that far. I am certainly not against the research, we just recently lost my wife’s mother from Alzheimer’s disease and in my opinion it’s one of the worst ways to go. A discovery like this that improves memory may make many peoples loved ones quality of life much better. That’s the purpose of research like this, it’s designed to find cures for diseases that destroy peoples lives.

Now not all this research is a good thing and in some cases people even harm themselves trying to replicate these procedure, below is an example of such ignorance. Don’t know if you remember this, but I do and all I could do is shake my head!:no:

If this is sounding a little familiar, you might be thinking of a similar series of studies done back in the mid-2010s, which found that older mice could be generally 'rejuvenated' with the blood of younger animals – both from humans and from mice. The FDA even had to warn people to stop doing it.

Hopefully something like this doesn’t occur again!

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Or better yet, put the cerebral fluid from late term abortions to good use :tsu:

0*bHdq8EEUjdsf-fjk.jpg

Man that’s a a little demented do you dream about this, dude your starting to scare me!:w00t::D However, I dont know this for a fact but I have read that stem cells are collected from aborted fetuses, and that may not be a joke. Hopefully, it isn’t happening but it wouldn’t surprise me that people would go that far!:blink:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

If that occurs it would be horrible, but hopefully things will not go that far. I am certainly not against the research, we just recently lost my wife’s mother from Alzheimer’s disease and in my opinion it’s one of the worst ways to go. A discovery like this that improves memory may make many peoples loved ones quality of life much better. That’s the purpose of research like this, it’s designed to find cures for diseases that destroy peoples lives.

Now not all this research is a good thing and in some cases people even harm themselves trying to replicate these procedure, below is an example of such ignorance. Don’t know if you remember this, but I do and all I could do is shake my head!:no:

If this is sounding a little familiar, you might be thinking of a similar series of studies done back in the mid-2010s, which found that older mice could be generally 'rejuvenated' with the blood of younger animals – both from humans and from mice. The FDA even had to warn people to stop doing it.

Hopefully something like this doesn’t occur again!

Well, that is what I am worried about.  The only thing that might be good about this is if the scientists find a way to identify what exactly is the element that creates the change, like they did with insulin.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Man that’s a a little demented do you dream about this, dude your starting to scare me!:w00t::D However, I dont know this for a fact but I have read that stem cells are collected from aborted fetuses, and that may not be a joke. Hopefully, it isn’t happening but it wouldn’t surprise me that people would go that far!:blink:

Stem cells can be collected from any one living with out much harm.  My brother's own stem cells were havested to give him fresh bone marrow.  What came after the harvesting of the stem cells was awful for him though because they totally killed his bone marrow (very painful and took a week) and then injected the stem cells in to create new bone marrow.   Now days you don't need to use stem cells from someone else.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh good lord!  Now we will have rich old people stealing children and paying nurses to extract their cerebrospinal fluid and inject it into the old people's brains!    This could have a worse ending than Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil novel.

Who thinks of this stuff and why do they think it is a good avenue of research?  Oh, wait, the question is Who is paying for this research?

I mean we have blood drives and blood donations all the time. No kidnapping necessary.

If it's something the body naturally replenishes than getting donations are easy. If it's something not replaceable, like with organs than its a bit harder 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, that is what I am worried about.  The only thing that might be good about this is if the scientists find a way to identify what exactly is the element that creates the change, like they did with insulin.

Yes that would be a good thing, and with our technology today it may be possible. Hell, scientific research has allowed the medical community to actually take cells from someone and grow skin from those cells that matches that persons body. This has been a great advance for burn victims, because it eliminates the possibility of rejection. This has also led to the early stages of regrowing organs in the same manner, in the near future this could be blessing for those who need organ replacement again because it would also stop rejection. So like I said I am for the research because it can certainly change and improve the lives of so many people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Stem cells can be collected from any one living with out much harm.  My brother's own stem cells were havested to give him fresh bone marrow.  What came after the harvesting of the stem cells was awful for him though because they totally killed his bone marrow (very painful and took a week) and then injected the stem cells in to create new bone marrow.   Now days you don't need to use stem cells from someone else.  

I wasn’t aware of that, I am only familiar with bone marrow transplantation done the only fashion way where they harvest bone marrow from a another person and then Implant it. I am familiar with the method they use to kill someone’s bone marrow for a transplant, they use radiation and the problem is that it also can damage other organs. Man, to have your entire body irradiated would not only be painful it would also make you very very sick, hope your brothers transplant was successful and that he is doing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I mean we have blood drives and blood donations all the time. No kidnapping necessary.

If it's something the body naturally replenishes than getting donations are easy. If it's something not replaceable, like with organs than its a bit harder 

I don't think spinal fluid is an easy think like blood donations.  It is painful.  I don't know how long it takes to replinish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I wasn’t aware of that, I am only familiar with bone marrow transplantation done the only fashion way where they harvest bone marrow from a another person and then Implant it. I am familiar with the method they use to kill someone’s bone marrow for a transplant, they use radiation and the problem is that it also can damage other organs. Man, to have your entire body irradiated would not only be painful it would also make you very very sick, hope your brothers transplant was successful and that he is doing well.

My brother just had this done about 6 months ago.  They used chemo of some sort to kill the bone marrow, which also can cause other problems.  So far he is recouperating and even back at work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My brother just had this done about 6 months ago.  They used chemo of some sort to kill the bone marrow, which also can cause other problems.  So far he is recouperating and even back at work.

Well it looks like he is doing good, I happy for you and your family!:tu:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think spinal fluid is an easy think like blood donations.  It is painful.  I don't know how long it takes to replinish.

It's also a needle, but spinal taps are notorious for being painful.

Idk if it replenishes alot or not either 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think spinal fluid is an easy think like blood donations.  It is painful.  I don't know how long it takes to replinish.

I have had to have a spinal tap, it wasn’t very painful at all. I just looked at an article on the replace of lost spinal fluid.

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), CSF is continually produced, and all of it is replaced every six to eight hours.https://www.britannica.com/science/cerebrospinal-fluid

However, it would certainly be frightening for a child. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have had to have a spinal tap, it wasn’t very painful at all. I just looked at an article on the replace of lost spinal fluid.

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), CSF is continually produced, and all of it is replaced every six to eight hours.https://www.britannica.com/science/cerebrospinal-fluid

However, it would certainly be frightening for a child. 

 

 

Guess I heard wrong 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Guess I heard wrong 

Well I think it depends upon the person, I have been injured and had back surgery so many times I have a pretty high tolerance for pain maybe that’s why I didn’t think it was to painful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Guess I heard wrong 

It might be the difference between 1980 & 2020 medicine practices

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It might be the difference between 1980 & 2020 medicine practices

I received the one and only spinal tap I ever had in 2015 because the doctors thought I possibly had Spinal meningitis, thankfully they were wrong. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh good lord!  Now we will have rich old people stealing children and paying nurses to extract their cerebrospinal fluid and inject it into the old people's brains!    This could have a worse ending than Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil novel.

Who thinks of this stuff and why do they think it is a good avenue of research?  Oh, wait, the question is Who is paying for this research?

That was my first thought when I read it, too

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

huesicipfb.jpg

Saw a movie kinda like this once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I mean we have blood drives and blood donations all the time. No kidnapping necessary.

If it's something the body naturally replenishes than getting donations are easy. If it's something not replaceable, like with organs than its a bit harder 

After originating in the ventricles of the brain, it is probably filtered through the nervous-system membranes (ependyma). The CSF is continually produced, and all of it is replaced every six to eight hours. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+brain+fluid+replenish%3F&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS861US861&oq=does+brain+fluid+replenish%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390l3.6428j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking: who have an excess of brainfluid? That's those suffering from hydrocephalus, right?

Could that excess not be used?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I had (excess?) fluid on my brain drained off at the base of my spine when I was a toddler.   (It was discovered because I kept knocking myself out with slight bumps to the head).    :wacko:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, lightly said:

I had (excess?) fluid on my brain drained off at the base of my spine when I was a toddler.   (It was discovered because I kept knocking myself out with slight bumps to the head).    :wacko:

I'm sorry about that lightly, you wouldn't still have the fluid by any chance :devil:.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.