Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ukraine wins 2022 Eurovision song contest as UK finishes second in Turin

Still Waters

Ukraine has won the 66th Eurovision song contest, which was held on Saturday evening in Turin in Italy. Riding a tidal wave of support from the telephone-voting European public, Stefania by Kalush Orchestra finished first after strong showings by the United Kingdom, Spain and Sweden in the early voting.

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, welcomed the victory, Ukraine’s third since its 2003 Eurovision debut, and said “we will do our best” to one day host the contest in the port city of Mariupol. He underlined “Ukrainian Mariupol. Free, peaceful, rebuilt!”

“I am sure our victorious chord in the battle with the enemy is not far off,’’ Zelenskiy said in a post on the Telegram messaging app.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/15/ukraine-wins-2022-eurovision-song-contest-as-uk-finishes-second-in-turin

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Ukraine has won the 66th Eurovision song contest, which was held on Saturday evening in Turin in Italy. Riding a tidal wave of support from the telephone-voting European public, Stefania by Kalush Orchestra finished first after strong showings by the United Kingdom, Spain and Sweden in the early voting.

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, welcomed the victory, Ukraine’s third since its 2003 Eurovision debut, and said “we will do our best” to one day host the contest in the port city of Mariupol. He underlined “Ukrainian Mariupol. Free, peaceful, rebuilt!”

“I am sure our victorious chord in the battle with the enemy is not far off,’’ Zelenskiy said in a post on the Telegram messaging app.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/15/ukraine-wins-2022-eurovision-song-contest-as-uk-finishes-second-in-turin

Zelensky should just have said thank you for the moral support for the ucranian musical cultural at the event and should not have said anything about the military other than this small act would help somewhat with warming the harts of its population and service people.

I don't watch this type of events but I was very glad and moved to ear about Ukr victory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

I almost started a thread about this earlier, it’s a great story thanks for sharing!:tu:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Zelensky should just have said thank you for the moral support for the ucranian musical cultural at the event and should not have said anything about the military other than this small act would help somewhat with warming the harts of its population and service people.

I don't watch this type of events but I was very glad and moved to ear about Ukr victory.

I didn't watch it either but did check out the Ukraine entry and the UK entry on YouTube, both before I heard Ukraine had won. I'm glad UK came in second for a change. I didn't care much for the Ukraine entry to be honest but it's good that they received so much support. From what I've been reading it was expected they would win.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

I didn't watch it either but did check out the Ukraine entry and the UK entry on YouTube, both before I heard Ukraine had won. I'm glad UK came in second for a change. I didn't care much for the Ukraine entry to be honest but it's good that they received so much support. From what I've been reading it was expected they would win.

This year there was 2 winners, Ukraine and whomever came 2nd (UK??) was the actual winner.

• Like 4

Eurovision win brings 'incredible happiness' to Ukraine

"When they said that we had won, I shouted at the whole apartment," said Ivanna Khvalyboga, who was forced to flee Ukraine following the invasion.

Speaking from Poland, she told the BBC the win meant "incredible happiness for Ukraine and Ukrainian people".

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky congratulated Kalush Orchestra and said Ukraine's courage "impresses the world".

"Now we see support of the whole world and it feels great."

As refugee Ivanna Khvalyboga, who is currently in Poland, put it: "We have won Eurovision, we will win the war with Russia!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61442439

• Like 1

Ukraine’s Eurovision Winner Leaves Italy To Immediately Join The War Effort Back Home

Just hours after winning the international song contest for 2022, frontman of Ukrainian folk-rap group Kalush Orchestra, Oleg Psiuk, was seen saying his heartfelt farewells as he began his journey back to his home country to enlist.

Celebrations were cut short for the all-male group as they were ordered to return to their war-torn homeland by Monday (May 16) to take up arms against the Russians, according to The Sun.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/latest-ukraines-eurovision-winner-leaves-immediately-join-war-russia-20220516

• Like 2

Ukraine's Kalush Orchestra to auction off Eurovision 2022 trophy

Just a couple of days following their victory at Eurovision 2022, Kalush Orchestra have announced they do not intend to keep their winning trophy.

According to UkrInfor, the band's frontman Oleh Psiuk announced the group's intention to put up for auction the trophy:

– We plan to put our trophy up for auction and donate all the money to a charity that helps the Armed Forces and Ukraine.

https://eurovisionworld.com/esc/ukraines-kalush-orchestra-to-auction-off-eurovision-2022-trophy

• Like 2

Eurovision has been political for decades. There are plenty of other examples when the country with problems won.

This time voters showed solidarity with Ukraine which is okay (at least it's not rigged) although their song is far from best.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kalush Orchestra, the Ukrainian band which won this year's Eurovision Song Contest, have sold their trophy for $900,000 (£712,000; €838,000) to raise money for the war in Ukraine.

The crystal microphone was auctioned on Facebook, with the aim of buying drones for Ukraine's military.

The sale coincided with the band's appearance at a charity concert at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate.

It aimed to raise money for medical care and supplies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61628590

• Like 1