Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physicists Say There May Be Another Reality Right Beyond This One

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

For those of us worried the world somehow got trapped in the wrong timeline, relax — scientists are now saying there might actually be two realities.

Two researchers from the University of Maryland released their findings in a study earlier this month in the journal Physical Review Research. According to a university press release, though, a second reality isn’t exactly what they set out to find. While studying layers of graphene, made with hexagons of carbon, the found repeating patterns that changed the way electricity moves.

https://futurism.com/physicist-reality-graphene-study

Bilayer Graphene Inspires Two-Universe Cosmological Model

https://jqi.umd.edu/news/bilayer-graphene-inspires-two-universe-cosmological-model

https://journals.aps.org/prresearch/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevResearch.4.L022027?

• Like 5

1+1=1   It seems everything exists in pairs.  Up..down.    In..out.   Ozzy and Harriet.   And so on and on.  Ya can’t have one without the other…one. :passifier:

Another realitiy..........is it Paradise or Hell?

Meh

• Haha 1

Is this different than what Brane supporters have claimed?

51 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Is this different than what Brane supporters have claimed?

Yes. Let me know if you want an explanation.

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

Yes. Let me know if you want an explanation.

Yes but references would be OK.  Did I skim the article too quickly to miss some points maybe?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yes but references would be OK.  Did I skim the article too quickly to miss some points maybe?

Well the references would be the theories themselves. I'm just laying them out in a language most can understand.

Brane theory is part of a group of theories you get from stretching the math of special relativity. Stretching it, so it fits the math of quantum theory. Like taking on socks  or gloves that are too small. We call those theories string theories, or M-theory as a whole.
The basic idea of brane theory is that membranes exist, beyond this universe, that constantly produces big bangs. Like bubbles in a bubble bath with endless soap and water. These universes exist besides each other, not inside each other. They are neighbors.

This article is about the possibility of parallel universes. That idea derives from an interpretation of the observer effect from quantum experiments. Inspired by real life stuff, not just math. In that version the universes exist inside the same three dimensional realm, like radio stations on an old radio. We can only hear (see, feel) one of them though. Our own.
In this article, some scientists think they found evidence of another. I think they are just grasping at straws, seeking attention. (A bit pathetic TBH...)

Just because nature shows you something new, it doesn't mean nature is something completely different than the vast majority of other evidence tells you.

Hope it was useful.

Edited by zep73
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, zep73 said:

Hope it was useful.

Yes it was.  I rather thought the new parallel universe was like that, not reachable from our own space-time. 

The observer effect I remember is tied up with the double slit experiment.  At one time physics wags were pushing that idea of infinite universes being generated each time a particle made a "decision." But I've been out of the loop a long time.

Tell schrödinger I'm alive... And I'm gonna find him : r/memes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:17 AM, Tatetopa said:

I rather thought the new parallel universe was like that, not reachable from our own space-time.

That would be correct. If they are there at all.

The observer effect I remember is tied up with the double slit experiment.  At one time physics wags were pushing that idea of infinite universes being generated each time a particle made a "decision." But I've been out of the loop a long time.

That would be each time an observation is made, since it's the observation that forces the wave to collapse. It's called the Copenhagen Interpretation, and many physicists disagree with it. I believe most of them are more in favor of the pilot wave / superdeterminism interpretation, where everything that will ever happened was meant to happen. Fate in lack of a better word. I think they favor that interpretation because it fits well to the block universe hypothesis of relativity.

• Thanks 1