Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Many Christians betray their title?

Obscurum

3 hours ago, Essan said:

Monkey curiosity

Human brains all work basically the same.   So if A happens and B exists, we ask why did A happen?  Why does B exist?   And when there is no answer we invent an explanation.   Just so stories.     If the world exists it must have been created, and since it's too big to have been created by my dad, or even my great-grandad, it must have been a god.  Ergo one (or more) of the gods must be the creator god(s).

Has that Monkey Curiosity been proven as fact or is it just a theory?

38 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Has that Monkey Curiosity been proven as fact or is it just a theory?

The fact you ask proves it true ;)  

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, Obscurum said:

Can someone please explain to me how Christians qualify to use this name in light of the following:

In a religious context a name refers to more than just an identifying word but also to a reputation, encapsulating the meaning of said persons life. That's why "In the name of Jesus I compel you." has nothing to do with the word Jesus but with whom it represents. This is also why Jesus and Christ are used interchangeably.  Following from this we can ask what the claimed reputation of Jesus is and how he lived his life. This should shape the lives of those that are his followers to qualify them to carry his name and in turn the name of his father who's name he glorified and with whom he was/is in union. Supposedly.

To keep this as short as possible one can subjectively summarize who Jesus is as follows: Someone who sacrificed himself or was sacrificed so that others could see and enter the kingdom of God and come to a state of unity with him and in turn with God.

From what I understand the giving up of the self was one of his main lessons and a key to entering the kingdom. Then why does Christianity not center on selfless union with Christ but on selfish desires for eternal life after death and materialism? Who would remain a Christian if they realize that the eternal heavenly self is a teaching of the original serpent (the manifestation of selfishness and self preservation) who said "you will surely not die"? (Note also when Peter tried to have Jesus avoid death what he was called). There is a marked difference between 'eternal self' and 'eternal life'.

Jesus apparently was only recognized after his death by 'the word of truth' that he spoke, not by his physical appearance or personality. We are shaped by physical processes of the body, and cannot exist without it. (Hence why we cannot ask "Why am I me and not someone else?" or "Why am I in this body?"). Brain damage or other chemical processes can change our personality. 'You' end at death.

Jesus supposedly lived his life knowing that flesh and bone won't inherit the kingdom, but only in selfless unity with God (the original selfless one) he would live forever. So whenever selflessness is expressed by a being with free agency he lives, and so do all his followers who did the same in their lives and were in unity with him. Even if this universe collapses and in billions of years free agents arise again, whenever such ones express selflessness he (and those that were in unity with him) live again, because that is the meaning of his name. I would wager this is the resurrection and the kingdom of God. Yet many Christians even when they pray pray for the longevity of the body, the preservation of self ('Me') eternally in heaven, and for others, mostly to ensure that. Truly they are physically alive but spiritually dead. God is purported to be a god of the living, not of the dead.

We 'suffer' death because we realize the loss of self even in the face of the religions we created, and forget to use the opportunity life gives us to express freedom in selflessness and the preservation of the freedom of others. 

If 'the truth will set you free' was true why do many Christians chain themselves to self-preservation, selfishness, materialism and its burdens when Christ lived in contrast to this? And not only do they chain themselves but they attempt to chain others with judgement even while not following their supposed leader themselves. There are non-Christians that have entered the kingdom of God, and radiate his will and they put no unnecessary burden on others lol.

I am not a Christian, but I can't help but marvel at the silliness.

A lot of it is because republicans figured out that if they convince people they'll go to hell if they don't vote for them, they'll overlook their terrible policies if it means not being poked by demons for eternity. They don't have to actually follow Christ, just convince rubes they do and that if they don't do what they say, Jesus will punish them. At least here in the states, over in Europe the whole 'letting the pope run our ****' thing went out of style pretty early on. 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, simplybill said:

That particular phrase (‘The Golden Rule’) isn’t in the Bible itself. It may have been used at one time to convey the message of Matthew 7:12 - “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets”, but it’s used differently now.
The shortened version of the phrase (“Treat others the way you would have them treat you”) is now used in a more secular context, such as in employee manuals,  and there have been other variants such as “He who has the gold rules”.

The religion of False Christianity..

On 5/16/2022 at 11:32 PM, Obscurum said:

Can someone please explain to me how Christians qualify to use this name in light of the following:

In a religious context a name refers to more than just an identifying word but also to a reputation, encapsulating the meaning of said persons life. That's why "In the name of Jesus I compel you." has nothing to do with the word Jesus but with whom it represents. This is also why Jesus and Christ are used interchangeably.  Following from this we can ask what the claimed reputation of Jesus is and how he lived his life. This should shape the lives of those that are his followers to qualify them to carry his name and in turn the name of his father who's name he glorified and with whom he was/is in union. Supposedly.

To keep this as short as possible one can subjectively summarize who Jesus is as follows: Someone who sacrificed himself or was sacrificed so that others could see and enter the kingdom of God and come to a state of unity with him and in turn with God.

From what I understand the giving up of the self was one of his main lessons and a key to entering the kingdom. Then why does Christianity not center on selfless union with Christ but on selfish desires for eternal life after death and materialism? Who would remain a Christian if they realize that the eternal heavenly self is a teaching of the original serpent (the manifestation of selfishness and self preservation) who said "you will surely not die"? (Note also when Peter tried to have Jesus avoid death what he was called). There is a marked difference between 'eternal self' and 'eternal life'.

Jesus apparently was only recognized after his death by 'the word of truth' that he spoke, not by his physical appearance or personality. We are shaped by physical processes of the body, and cannot exist without it. (Hence why we cannot ask "Why am I me and not someone else?" or "Why am I in this body?"). Brain damage or other chemical processes can change our personality. 'You' end at death.

Jesus supposedly lived his life knowing that flesh and bone won't inherit the kingdom, but only in selfless unity with God (the original selfless one) he would live forever. So whenever selflessness is expressed by a being with free agency he lives, and so do all his followers who did the same in their lives and were in unity with him. Even if this universe collapses and in billions of years free agents arise again, whenever such ones express selflessness he (and those that were in unity with him) live again, because that is the meaning of his name. I would wager this is the resurrection and the kingdom of God. Yet many Christians even when they pray pray for the longevity of the body, the preservation of self ('Me') eternally in heaven, and for others, mostly to ensure that. Truly they are physically alive but spiritually dead. God is purported to be a god of the living, not of the dead.

We 'suffer' death because we realize the loss of self even in the face of the religions we created, and forget to use the opportunity life gives us to express freedom in selflessness and the preservation of the freedom of others. 

If 'the truth will set you free' was true why do many Christians chain themselves to self-preservation, selfishness, materialism and its burdens when Christ lived in contrast to this? And not only do they chain themselves but they attempt to chain others with judgement even while not following their supposed leader themselves. There are non-Christians that have entered the kingdom of God, and radiate his will and they put no unnecessary burden on others lol.

I am not a Christian, but I can't help but marvel at the silliness.

Is this just comparing the literal with metonymy, wrapped up to appear like a theological analysis.

All poetical devices when interpreted literally appear silly.

Let's all drink a toast to literalism

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is not that Christians aren't willing, or able, to live as Christ did. But that way too many of the Shepards have fallen, and teach their sheep to follow THEM, rather then Christ.

I've see a lot of ego leading people in a heretical direction. Hating people, rather then loving them, is one such path. Jesus hung out with the loosers and criminals. He did hate them and shun them. He even gave his blessings to foreigners, who followed pagan gods. If they recognized truth when they saw it.

None of us is perfect... And the Bible doesn't say we need to be perfect. But we can't just ignore everything Jesus taught and call it good. That's the main reason that the Protestant Reformation happened, so people could read the Bible themselves and not be just entirely sheep. Too many today are the image of illiterate "sheep".