Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Accidental discovery that scallops are attracted to LED lights leads to new fishing technique

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

An unusual technique for catching scallops that was stumbled upon accidentally by scientists could potentially reduce some of the damage caused to our seabeds by fishing.

The marine scientist Dr Rob Enever and his team at Fishtek Marine, a fisheries consultancy based in Devon, designed small underwater “potlights” to help protect fish stocks by replacing the need to use fish to bait crab and lobster pots.

The lights were supposed to attract crabs into the pots. But quite unexpectedly, scallops, which can have up to 200 eyes, were more attracted to the the LED lights. “It’s like a scallop disco – illuminate the trap and they come in. It’s astonishing that no one else has discovered this before. It’s quite an exciting find,” said Enever.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/18/accidental-discovery-that-scallops-love-disco-lights-leads-to-new-fishing-technique

• Like 5

I always assumed all bivalves were like oysters or clams.  As God is my witness, I had no idea that scallops could swim.  :lol:

• Like 5

6 hours ago, and then said:

I always assumed all bivalves were like oysters or clams.  As God is my witness, I had no idea that scallops could swim.  :lol:

And you should see their bathing suits.

:passifier:

• Haha 4