Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haven’t had COVID yet? It could be more than just luck


Still Waters
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

We all know a few of those lucky people who, somehow, have managed to avoid ever catching COVID. Perhaps you’re one of them. Is this a Marvel-esque superpower? Is there any scientific reason why a person might be resistant to becoming infected, when the virus seems to be everywhere? Or is it simply luck?

More than 60% of people in the UK have tested positive for COVID at least once. However, the number of people who have actually been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is thought to be higher. The calculated rate of asymptomatic infections varies depending on the study, though most agree it’s fairly common.

But even taking into account people who have had COVID and not realised it, there is still likely a group of people who never have. The reason why some people appear immune to COVID is one question that has persisted throughout the pandemic. As with so much in science, there isn’t (yet) one simple answer.

https://theconversation.com/havent-had-covid-yet-it-could-be-more-than-just-luck-181708

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HeartCVD.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We all know about the whining cry babies that did little to avoid COVID-19.

  • Cried about mask wearing
  • Refused to avoid groups
  • Threw social events
  • Went to places knowing they were infected
  • Pretended COVID-19 was not a threat as people died

The off topic question raised was "Do you put as much effort from getting CVD as you do COVID-19? I would say hard to answer when people do so little to take care of themselves, and in the case of an infectious disease, their fellow humans.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to being on topic, it has been suspected that the lesser death rate in Africa is due to parts of the population being immune to coronavirus infections.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Back to being on topic, it has been suspected that the lesser death rate in Africa is due to parts of the population being immune to coronavirus infections.

Although at the same time, I thought those of recent African ancestry living in the UK were more likely to become ill?  

I think there are likely many factors at play (and they may impact differently according to the covid-19 variant)

Anyway, I have never had any covid symptoms and as far as I know have never contracted the virus.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, before it was officially in Canada, I helped a customer just off a plane from China.  2 weeks later I was coughing so badly I had to prop myself with pillows to sleep.  I was wheezing when I breathed.  I had all the symptoms that later came out to watch for.  But, because they weren't testing when I was sick, I didn't have it.  It took 8 months for my sense of smell to come back and 3 months for my ribs to stop hurting.  So, whatever I had, I had it early.  Worked all the way through the shut down and didn't get Covid.  Did I have natural immunity, or was I just super careful and enforced the distancing?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Essan said:

Although at the same time, I thought those of recent African ancestry living in the UK were more likely to become ill?  

I think there are likely many factors at play (and they may impact differently according to the covid-19 variant)

Anyway, I have never had any covid symptoms and as far as I know have never contracted the virus.  

Living  in Africa the people are exposed to many more corona viruses than in the UK. It's not genetics so much as environmental. If the immune systems are prepared to take on coronaviruses then they do better than someone not used to those viruses. At least that is what the epidemiologists were considering.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Well, before it was officially in Canada, I helped a customer just off a plane from China.  2 weeks later I was coughing so badly I had to prop myself with pillows to sleep.  I was wheezing when I breathed.  I had all the symptoms that later came out to watch for.  But, because they weren't testing when I was sick, I didn't have it.  It took 8 months for my sense of smell to come back and 3 months for my ribs to stop hurting.  So, whatever I had, I had it early.  Worked all the way through the shut down and didn't get Covid.  Did I have natural immunity, or was I just super careful and enforced the distancing?

I was lucky to have never expirienced any covid symptoms. Now, according to some sites on google, besides the regular mask wearing and later the shots, I read that smokers, which I unfortunately am, resist covid infections better. Also, according to some sites, blood group 0, again me, also has a better imune system. Those were all unproven claimes. But, so far, even with a few work related mandatory tests, I never had symptoms or Covid. Maybe just Luck.

Edited by odas
Spelling. Trying to improve.
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, odas said:

I was lucky to have never expirienced any covid symptoms. Now, according to some sites on google, besides the regular mask wearing and later the shots, I read that smokers, which I unfortunately am, resist covid infections better. Also, according to some sites, blood group 0, again me, also has a better imune system. Those were all unproven claimes. But, so far, even with a few work related mandatory tests, I never had symptoms or Covid. Maybe just Luck.

You have presented a number of confounding issues in an admirable manner. When it comes to biological issues the answers are not simple. That is why experiments are crucial. And your questions are of interest.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, odas said:

I was lucky to have never expirienced any covid symptoms. Now, according to some sites on google, besides the regular mask wearing and later the shots, I read that smokers, which I unfortunately am, resist covid infections better. Also, according to some sites, blood group 0, again me, also has a better imune system. Those were all unproven claimes. But, so far, even with a few work related mandatory tests, I never had symptoms or Covid. Maybe just Luck.

I forgot all about blood type O, which I am, too.  I still think they just don't know enough about Covid to be sure about the reasons why some people don't get it, or get it and not need to be hospitalized.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, Still Waters said:

We all know a few of those lucky people who, somehow, have managed to avoid ever catching COVID. Perhaps you’re one of them. Is this a Marvel-esque superpower? Is there any scientific reason why a person might be resistant to becoming infected, when the virus seems to be everywhere? Or is it simply luck?

More than 60% of people in the UK have tested positive for COVID at least once. However, the number of people who have actually been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is thought to be higher. The calculated rate of asymptomatic infections varies depending on the study, though most agree it’s fairly common.

But even taking into account people who have had COVID and not realised it, there is still likely a group of people who never have. The reason why some people appear immune to COVID is one question that has persisted throughout the pandemic. As with so much in science, there isn’t (yet) one simple answer.

https://theconversation.com/havent-had-covid-yet-it-could-be-more-than-just-luck-181708

Someone I live with caught it and died.

I felt hung over during the week she caught it, and I found my usual walks more tiring that normal. Yet every Coronavirus test (taken then or every time after that I got a cold) came back negative. Worse hers came back negative, it wasn`t until at autopsy they took a second look and said it was coronavirus.

I dont believe the tests are accurate or some of us are fighting it off not with the antibodies that the tests look for.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I forgot all about blood type O, which I am, too.  I still think they just don't know enough about Covid to be sure about the reasons why some people don't get it, or get it and not need to be hospitalized.

And estrogen may have a contributing factor too. Our sex has always been lucky in that respect, not just with covid it seems, but with other diseases too. :D

Could Estrogen Protect Women From COVID-19?

Association between pharmaceutical modulation of oestrogen in postmenopausal women in Sweden and death due to COVID-19: a cohort study

Women Seem to Have Better COVID-19 Outcomes Than Men. Here’s a Theory Why

 

So there really is no particular cause, but it seems many reasons why some people have better outcomes and survive covid, and science just hasn't figure out all the variables yet.
 

:( Um, sorry guys. Nature seems to favor us gurls in this case.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 6:55 AM, Still Waters said:

We all know a few of those lucky people who, somehow, have managed to avoid ever catching COVID. Perhaps you’re one of them. Is this a Marvel-esque superpower? Is there any scientific reason why a person might be resistant to becoming infected, when the virus seems to be everywhere? Or is it simply luck?

More than 60% of people in the UK have tested positive for COVID at least once. However, the number of people who have actually been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is thought to be higher. The calculated rate of asymptomatic infections varies depending on the study, though most agree it’s fairly common.

But even taking into account people who have had COVID and not realised it, there is still likely a group of people who never have. The reason why some people appear immune to COVID is one question that has persisted throughout the pandemic. As with so much in science, there isn’t (yet) one simple answer.

https://theconversation.com/havent-had-covid-yet-it-could-be-more-than-just-luck-181708

I've never been infected with COVID.  I have been to all the big box stores, early in 2020 when the Mask became a thing, I refused to where masks, stopped using antiseptics all together, never washed my hands, never got vaccinated.  

The real difference between me and everyone else?  I don't believe it is a real pandemic.  So what do you do if you think you have Covid?  You get a test kit!  And the World has put it's Faith in Test Kits...

What a rip off...so..yesterday my daughter...who has already had Covid last fall asked me to bring her a test kit because she had a fever...so I bought one at Walgreens...Left it on her door...she called me soon after and said it was defective....missing the AG card.  So I got a different brand at CVS and took it to her and she tested positive.  So...I took the defective one back to Walgreen...couldn't return it.  I bought something defective and couldn't return it!  So I'm out $25 bucks.

I have asked this question before...but the whole world laughs because apparently, every human being on the planet now believes the pandemic is real and the test kits prove it.  The question:  How do we know these test kits are not already infected with viruses when they were manufactured?  And the vaccines?  Completely a farce!  But the whole world is believing in vaccines that don't work.  Ima justa shakinmyhead

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, Katniss said:

And estrogen may have a contributing factor too. Our sex has always been lucky in that respect, not just with covid it seems, but with other diseases too. :D

Could Estrogen Protect Women From COVID-19?

Association between pharmaceutical modulation of oestrogen in postmenopausal women in Sweden and death due to COVID-19: a cohort study

Women Seem to Have Better COVID-19 Outcomes Than Men. Here’s a Theory Why

 

So there really is no particular cause, but it seems many reasons why some people have better outcomes and survive covid, and science just hasn't figure out all the variables yet.
 

:( Um, sorry guys. Nature seems to favor us gurls in this case.

 

The immune response genes are n the X chromosome. Women have two. It is supposed that the autoimmune diseases are due to one of the X chromosomes not being turned off. Othern than autoimmune diseases women do better with disease than men.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, joc said:

I've never been infected with COVID.  I have been to all the big box stores, early in 2020 when the Mask became a thing, I refused to where masks, stopped using antiseptics all together, never washed my hands, never got vaccinated.  

The real difference between me and everyone else?  I don't believe it is a real pandemic.  So what do you do if you think you have Covid?  You get a test kit!  And the World has put it's Faith in Test Kits...

What a rip off...so..yesterday my daughter...who has already had Covid last fall asked me to bring her a test kit because she had a fever...so I bought one at Walgreens...Left it on her door...she called me soon after and said it was defective....missing the AG card.  So I got a different brand at CVS and took it to her and she tested positive.  So...I took the defective one back to Walgreen...couldn't return it.  I bought something defective and couldn't return it!  So I'm out $25 bucks.

I have asked this question before...but the whole world laughs because apparently, every human being on the planet now believes the pandemic is real and the test kits prove it.  The question:  How do we know these test kits are not already infected with viruses when they were manufactured?  And the vaccines?  Completely a farce!  But the whole world is believing in vaccines that don't work.  Ima justa shakinmyhead

Test kits do not prove a pandemic. It  is the millions of deaths. It is the tens of millions of cases.

It is a world of medical staff that reveals that it is a pandemic and not a denialist such as yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some people are STILL trying to say covid doesn't exist? Jesus.

I'm not dead yet, so I say death doesn't exist. Same busted ass logic, so it must be true.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, stereologist said:

Test kits do not prove a pandemic. It  is the millions of deaths. It is the tens of millions of cases.

It is a world of medical staff that reveals that it is a pandemic and not a denialist such as yourself.

Whatever

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, joc said:

Whatever

 

56 minutes ago, joc said:

Whatever

Once again we see you have nothing of value to state other than you are dead wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, moonman said:

Some people are STILL trying to say covid doesn't exist? Jesus.

I'm not dead yet, so I say death doesn't exist. Same busted ass logic, so it must be true.

It's true. There is no end to stupidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, stereologist said:

 

Once again we see you have nothing of value to state other than you are dead wrong

I think you are probably just suffering  from uptight sphincter syndrome...

...maybe climb down off your high horse (please be careful) , sit down in that lazy boy, kick back and let Stevie tell you all about it. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 1:46 AM, Hawken said:

HeartCVD.jpg

Health issues from poor diet smoking and exercise aren't transferable.

Do you understand that much? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 12:01 PM, stereologist said:

Living  in Africa the people are exposed to many more corona viruses than in the UK. It's not genetics so much as environmental. If the immune systems are prepared to take on coronaviruses then they do better than someone not used to those viruses. At least that is what the epidemiologists were considering.

The only flaw in that assessment is the fact that SARS-COV-2 was a novel corona virus and there is no way Africans had better native immunity to it than any other humans on the planet.  A true scientific approach would have been to study what they were doing or not doing that might have led to the low numbers.  They didn't because they were unwilling to entertain ANY solution other than the jab.  They even actively suppressed therapeutics for a year or more.  It wasn't until monoclonals proved to be hugely successful that they even allowed their use.  IF there is a data trail that is discovered in the future that proves this pandemic was intentionally handled in a way that enriched pharma and gave much greater power to government at the expense of lives, there should be the equivalent of Nuremberg trials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 10:54 PM, Cookie Monster said:

Someone I live with caught it and died.

I felt hung over during the week she caught it, and I found my usual walks more tiring that normal. Yet every Coronavirus test (taken then or every time after that I got a cold) came back negative. Worse hers came back negative, it wasn`t until at autopsy they took a second look and said it was coronavirus.

I dont believe the tests are accurate or some of us are fighting it off not with the antibodies that the tests look for.

I don't think RAT tests are as accurate as PCR . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Health issues from poor diet smoking and exercise aren't transferable.

Do you understand that much? 

Do you know the deaths from covid on a worldwide scale since 2020? Look it up. Contagious or Not, CVD claimed more lives in 1 year than Covid in over 2 years.

BTW, The Common Cold is contagious. Is it a fatal disease? You associate Contagious with Deadly like people associate UFO with Alien. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

Do you know the deaths from covid on a worldwide scale since 2020? Look it up. Contagious or Not, CVD claimed more lives in 1 year than Covid in over 2 years.

BTW, The Common Cold is contagious. Is it a fatal disease? You associate Contagious with Deadly like people associate UFO with Alien. 

What's that got to do with squat? You're not too clever on the UFO subject either, you're just a credulous onlooker. 

Can you sit next to someone and make them obese? 

Can you enter a room and spread cancer? 

It's a dead set stupid argument. They are personal responsibility, not community responsibility. 

One is infectious, the other not. It's up to the individual to look after their own health.

No individual has the right to ignore health warnings and infect others. 

Your argument is irrelevant to Covid. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.