Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare book predicting alien life discovered in Cotswolds

Still Waters

A rare book predicting alien life could sell for thousands at auction.

The book, published in 1698, was found at a free antique valuation event in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, by books valuer Jim Spencer.

Inside, author Christiaan Huygens explores his fascination with the potential existence of extra-terrestrial beings.

Continued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-61507780

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The book, published in 1698,

I may be wrong, but this could be the first book to discuss a existence of the alien life.

• Like 1

How awesome! If I found that, you couldn't pay me enough money to sell it! 

*I'm lying about the money part 

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, jethrofloyd said:
I may be wrong, but this could be the first book to discuss a existence of the alien life.

I don't know much about other cultures but I'm aware that in one of the very very old Indian literatures there are mentions of weird looking beings from another planets that didn't look like us at all and flying machines mentions called "vimanas" and stuff. In the story of Mahabharata also had mentions of weapons that sounds like nuclear weapons and flying homing missiles that would target only specific people/areas it was fired upon.
Mahabharata we have today is written less than 2,500 or so years ago, but they could be describing events that occurred 5,000 or 3,000 years ago is what's being said.

It's an interesting rabbit hole to go into haha 

vedas2.jpg

On 5/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Still Waters said:

A rare book predicting alien life could sell for thousands at auction.

The book, published in 1698, was found at a free antique valuation event in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, by books valuer Jim Spencer.

Inside, author Christiaan Huygens explores his fascination with the potential existence of extra-terrestrial beings.

Continued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-61507780

The original booktitle must have been "Cosmotheoros" :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiaan_Huygens

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Prab said:

I don't know much about other cultures but I'm aware that in one of the very very old Indian literatures there are mentions of weird looking beings from another planets that didn't look like us at all and flying machines mentions called "vimanas" and stuff. In the story of Mahabharata also had mentions of weapons that sounds like nuclear weapons and flying homing missiles that would target only specific people/areas it was fired upon.
Mahabharata we have today is written less than 2,500 or so years ago, but they could be describing events that occurred 5,000 or 3,000 years ago is what's being said.

It's an interesting rabbit hole to go into haha 

vedas2.jpg

In Greek mythology and I think also Nordic mythology there exist flying chariots. For instance the legend of Phaeton.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 6:29 AM, jethrofloyd said:

The first structured thought on paper at least I would think. 

As others have posted, there are myths, but I don't know of any serious publication which is earlier taking an academic look at the idea. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, jethrofloyd said:

The 1st book ever written that describes alien life God's planet where Enoch was taken, is the book of Enoch about 200 bc 

Edited by qxcontinuum