Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia Decides - Election 2022

Paranoid Android

Australian election 2022: Millions vote for next leader

Millions of Australians are heading to the polls on Saturday for the country's first election since 2019.

It sees Prime Minister Scott Morrison go up against one of the country's longest serving politicians, Labor Leader Anthony Albanese.

The rising cost of living and climate change have shaped up as two key issues for voters.

But the election has largely been framed as a referendum on the leaders' characters.

Opinion polls suggest Labor will win by a narrow majority this time around. However, the polls were wildly inaccurate in the last election.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-61517667

I just voted, got my democracy sausage, and now will be sitting back to watch results as they come in. I'm thinking I agree with the article that this is going to be a Labor victory, but ultimately I think we're going to see a huge backlash against both major parties, with a huge swing to the minor parties and independents. 

I really don't think it matters who is going to be the new Prime Minister, ScoMo and Albo are both poster boys for the status quo. 

Bit of random humour - this video pretty much sums up how I think about the whole shebang (and regardless of what your political view of Pauline Hanson is, this video is pretty darn funny):

So who do you think is going to win? Any surprises? It's a particularly interesting election for me this year because this is the first election in my entire life that I've lived in a swing electorate (during the last election, our Representative won by less than 300 votes, though I had to vote in my old electorate last time), which means for the first time I actually feel like my vote might matter. 

Anyway, I figured I'd begin a thread to give people a chance to talk about the election. All the best, folks,

~ Regards, PA

• Haha 1

The first thing, the BIGGEST thing I want people to take away from this election is we don’t vote for the Prime Minister in Australia. Honest to God, even the bloody journalists say it’s about electing a prime minister. 

• Like 2

Albo's the winner and the Independent teal Party and Greens scored big. Still undecided whether Labour will rule by majority. It looks like many electorates preferred candidates of minor Party's which seems to indicate people were sick of Scomo and barely prepared to give Albo a chance in absence of anything better which basically means at the first serious drop in polls he'll be walking on a razor's edge to keep his spot.  Sounds like 'the ghoul' Dutton will lead the Libs.

• Like 2

Barnaby Joyce (is that the chatanooga choo-choo) has called people who voted Indie or ‘Teal Indie’ (ie an Independent backed by the sort of money that backs the Parties) selfish and wanting only chaos in parliament. 
Because, presumably “graciousness in defeat” isn’t a Lib/Nat policy.

• Haha 2

And once again…. The Betoota Advocate is probably the only place for neutral political reportage. 
…. And they’re a satirical media.

Over what period do we define climate?

When Rowan Dean talks BS about the latest cold snap in iceland it's meaningless as he's talking about weather not climate.

Australia catches on fire a few months after ScoMo's elected and the climate is his fault. 

Now Labor and The Greens will have how long to change the next 30 years?

Of course, the most puzzling aspect of all this is.....

Why is there no "u" in "Labor".

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, acute said:

Because you Brits mispell everything, putting a superfluous 'u' in every word that ends in 'or'.

P.S. I don't have anything to add to this thread except that I understood that the parliment votes on who the prime minister is.   Maybe I am wrong about that but I think I get what @Sir Wearer of Hats is talking about.

AND I am so happy to see political discussion about a different country, instead of the U.S. politics.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because you Brits mispell everything,

You misspelled "misspell"!

:nw:

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, acute said:

You misspelled "misspell"!

:nw:

thanks for pointing that out.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, acute said:

Long story - Labour was founded with a U, under a tree in Barcaldine, QLD. They were a wee timorous party that needed to look big and strong against Liberals, Nationals etc. so they co-opted an American party “Labor”, and so dropped the U to appear more like the American Labor party, implying a consensus of ideology. 

short story - they’re eejits who can’t spell Australian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Labour was founded with a U, under a tree in Barcaldine, QLD.

Was it a sycamoure tree?

:innocent:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, acute said:

Was it a sycamoure tree?

Jacaranda IIRC

27 minutes ago, acute said:

Was it a sycamoure tree?

Ohh har har. Tes, it went whoosh the first time. 
It doesn’t make sense, as it breaks the linguistic convention of words ending “or” are spelled with a “u” in British standard though. That errant “e” creates the long “o” sound, whereas anything with “our” makes an “err” sound, “labour” is “lay-Berr” etc.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

Because they don't care about "U"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because you Brits mispell everything, putting a superfluous 'u' in every word that ends in 'or'.

P.S. I don't have anything to add to this thread except that I understood that the parliment votes on who the prime minister is.   Maybe I am wrong about that but I think I get what @Sir Wearer of Hats is talking about.

AND I am so happy to see political discussion about a different country, instead of the U.S. politics.

The Government is formed in the House of Representatives.  By convention, important ministerial (executive) positions sit in the house, such as Prime Minister, Deputy PM, and Treasurer.  Some ministerial positions are filled by Senators.

I vote for an individual, with preferences, to represent the the electorate I reside in.

I can allocate preferences for either parties or individuals in the Senate.  Fraser Anning replaced a party colleague in the Senate a few years back with little individual support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It doesn’t make sense, as it breaks the linguistic convention of words ending “or” are spelled with a “u” in British standard though.

Ok, I'll try again!

Was it a Doglas Fir tree?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, acute said:

Ok, I'll try again!

Was it a Doglas Fir tree?

Going by the cohourt, a Lyndoun Tree wood be a goud guess.

• Haha 3

Ha.

I did a thread on the election last month

Two threads three pages all up 

Bit of a contrast with the USA election huh LOL :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Ha.

It might be fun raggin' on Albany Anthonese, Dick Marles, Wenny Pong, Chim Jammies, and Galley Kateagher.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Ha.

American elections are about electing either a brain dead President or a President with no brains, Australian elections decide who's the least charismatic and most uninspiring decision maker on the continent.  You want to compare the difference in fun?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

American elections are about electing either a brain dead President or a President with no brains, Australian elections decide who's the least charismatic and most uninspiring decision maker on the continent.  You want to compare the difference in fun?

Don’t forget “voting for the least smirky, untrustworthy person in the room, from a collective of people so smirky and untrustworthy that the used car salesman Union rejected them”l

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Don’t forget “voting for the least smirky, untrustworthy person in the room, from a collective of people so smirky and untrustworthy that the used car salesman Union rejected them”l

Us or them?

Or both? 

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Us or them?

Or both? 

Yes,

I voted green first for the first time :P

labor voter but have voted for the libs a couple of times.. 

though honestly I was hoping for a minority for labor..