Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deep thought that nails it

TrumanB

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”

Joseph Campbell

I ran to this quote on the first page of one Den Brown novel and it clicked immediately with me.

Did you ever read or hear any wise thought that just striked you and made things look clearer in your life?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”

Joseph Campbell

I ran to this quote on the first page of one Den Brown novel and it clicked immediately with me.

Did you ever read or hear any wise thought that just striked you and made things look clearer in your life?

Mostly my own.   Like this one, Everyone is born today and everyone dies today. Regardless of the calendar date...when we die it will be today.  We live today, we die today!

And this one, There is only one moment and it is right now.  It is always right now.  There is only one moment and this is it.  We miss this moment...our only moment...when our mindset is on things of the past or the future...neither of which exist.

And this one, We have one life...and this is it.  There is no afterlife, or before life.  Only this life.  One life, one moment.  That is all.

:)

• Like 7

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"

Voltaire changed my whole perspective on religion and alternative woocrap.

I now think it's more dangerous and no longer funny. Watching all the alternative medicine cranks who the liberals loved so much falling in line with neocon fascism and racism was my proof.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TrumanB said:

This is an old favorite of mine:

"Life is what happens to us while we're making other plans"

It's very similar to your quote and I think it captures the essence of our struggle as we attempt to be part of something greater and more lasting as we labor just to survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you think deep down enough inside , there will no thoughts 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"You don't have any control over others, you only have control over what you think about them."   the voice in my head

• Like 7

4 hours ago, and then said:

download.png.402dacedb634c587195d231cb60e699b.png

It's from his song Beautiful Boy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29425367_1895223750549426_49172517072194

When you find yourself in a hole, you need to realize you're the one who dug it. So grab the shovel and dig your way out of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Joseph Campbell

Sounds like the mindful approach to life as far as I am concerned.

“Man is the most insane species. He/[She] worships an invisible god and destroys/[denies] a visible nature [within and without]. Unaware that this nature he/[she] is destroying is this god he/[she] is worshiping” ~Hubert Reeves 

Use great care with beliefs they are transient guides in the moment to be applied and let go of as needed. Be guided by integrity, not righteousness. The mind is a wonderful tool, but do not dogmatize it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, joc said:

Mostly my own.   Like this one, Everyone is born today and everyone dies today. Regardless of the calendar date...when we die it will be today.  We live today, we die today!

And this one, There is only one moment and it is right now.  It is always right now.  There is only one moment and this is it.  We miss this moment...our only moment...when our mindset is on things of the past or the future...neither of which exist.

And this one, We have one life...and this is it.  There is no afterlife, or before life.  Only this life.  One life, one moment.  That is all.

:tsu:

We are always one breath away from the awareness that the moment is right now, right here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

29425367_1895223750549426_49172517072194

When you find yourself in a hole, you need to realize you're the one who dug it. So grab the shovel and dig your way out of it.

An add to:

“Our issues are often within our own way of thinking and looking at the world. The real enemy is our own ignorance, our own attachment to views and our wrong perceptions.” ~Thich Nhat Hahn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, joc said:

Are you sure that you are not influenced by the teaching of Eckhart Tolle? :) He is not the first one who came to this truth but is the most popular teacher.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

This is an old favorite of mine:

It's very similar to your quote and I think it captures the essence of our struggle as we attempt to be part of something greater and more lasting as we labor just to survive.

Oh yes, I heard of it when I was a kid. It allegedly belongs to John Lennon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

If all else fails quote Groucho Marx.

For a while I want to watch Marx brothers movies. My night shift is starting in two hours, I'll check if those movies are available on youtube. Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 1

* Life is a sh!t sandwich: the more bread you eat, the less sh!t you taste.

* If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with bs.

* Those who live by the word, will die by the word.

~ Susej.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Are you sure that you are not influenced by the teaching of Eckhart Tolle? :) He is not the first one who came to this truth but is the most popular teacher.

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

For me, Thich Nhat Hahn, Pema Chodron, The Diamond Sutra’s, and John Kabat, oneself and their own experiences with the practice of meditation are much better resources. I personally find some wisdom in Tolle, but as you point out “fad” is not the same as substance. Just my two cents. I do not think Joc is into Eckhart Tolle, he seems more mindfulness based to me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There is no then, as every waking moment of one's life is now and it is always now that one must act.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

There is no then, as every waking moment of one's life is now and it is always now that one must act.

And you are still here?

Act.

I always liked this one from Socrates:

The Only Thing I Know For Sure Is That I Know Nothing At All, For Sure.

It's a reminder that we all live in an illusions of so-called facts. But if you really dig deep into those facts, most of them aren't truly facts, they are just qualified estimations or beliefs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

For me, Thich Nhat Hahn, Pema Chodron, The Diamond Sutra’s, and John Kabat, oneself and their own experiences with the practice of meditation are much better resources. I personally find some wisdom in Tolle, but as you point out “fad” is not the same as substance. Just my two cents. I do not think Joc is into Eckhart Tolle, he seems more mindfulness based to me. 

Thanks for recommendation, I'll take a look at these people/works.

By the way, I didn't understand your point with Joc and mindfulness. Could you explain? Do you think that Tolle is not teaching mindfulness? What is mindfulness for you?

Edited by TrumanB
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

And you are still here?

Act.

Mindfulness isn't Mindlessness. You should just take a nap.

We're all going to "let go of life" willing or not. Philosophy is for the living, not the dead. The dead have passed beyond the need for it, or into oblivion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mindfulness isn't Mindlessness. You should just take a nap.

Act.