Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deep thought that nails it

TrumanB

2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Act.

I act every waking moment--what do you do? Nevermind; I hope you don't go blind.:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Are you sure that you are not influenced by the teaching of Eckhart Tolle? :) He is not the first one who came to this truth but is the most popular teacher.

Oh I  am quite sure that I am influenced by Eckhart Tolle. I read two of his books...well...read at them.  I gravitate toward people who share my own mindset.  I think we all do.  He greatly influenced my thinking without a doubt!  Good one Truman! :tu:

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

For me, Thich Nhat Hahn, Pema Chodron, The Diamond Sutra’s, and John Kabat, oneself and their own experiences with the practice of meditation are much better resources. I personally find some wisdom in Tolle, but as you point out “fad” is not the same as substance. Just my two cents. I do not think Joc is into Eckhart Tolle, he seems more mindfulness based to me. 

I'm not 'into' Tolle.  But I do share his philosophy to some extent.  He realized one day that 'right now' he was okay.  I didn't really start thinking the way I do because of Tolle but what he did was internalize that realization into an obsession of sorts.

Many, many years ago, I was deep in debt with credit cards, etc...all the turn off-ables were about to be turned off...and I was reading some book about how to deal with the credit card companies.   I think it was at that moment I began thinking Right Now.  They were saying, Right now you are okay.  Yeah you owe some people some money but look  up, the sky is not falling, go outside and look at the street, blood is not flowing down the street...it may tomorrow but right now in this moment everything is okay.

Thank you for your comment about mindfulness based...:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, joc said:

Oh I  am quite sure that I am influenced by Eckhart Tolle. I read two of his books...well...read at them.  I gravitate toward people who share my own mindset.  I think we all do.  He greatly influenced my thinking without a doubt!  Good one Truman! :tu:

Glad to hear that, I read Tolle with pleasure - it's just that it's very hard to implement his teaching in everyday life. Tolle is okay, if you want some really heavy artillery try with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/I-Am-That-Nisargadatta-Maharaj/dp/0893860468

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

Glad to hear that, I read Tolle with pleasure - it's just that it's very hard to implement his teaching in everyday life. Tolle is okay, if you want some really heavy artillery try with this book:

https://www.amazon.com/I-Am-That-Nisargadatta-Maharaj/dp/0893860468

Thanks but I don't really read books.  I like to think.  It's just what I do.  I had much rather 'think' about something than read what someone else thinks about something. 

It wasn't Tolle who said, We are all born today, we all die today.  That was my brain, my thoughts, but I acknowledge that none of my thoughts are really original.  Which brings us to an off topic subject of DNA influence in our own thought processes.  There are things that other's say that bring us to a thought of our own.  How much of that thought process though is already there, just waiting to be sparked?  I think it's interesting anyway....but that's what I do, I think about stuff...all the time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, joc said:

Thanks but I don't really read books.  I like to think.  It's just what I do.  I had much rather 'think' about something than read what someone else thinks about something.

WTF?! Are you my until now unknown twin? I feel the exact same way! I don't need people to think for me. I love doing it myself!

Edited by zep73
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, joc said:

It wasn't Tolle who said, We are all born today, we all die today.  That was my brain, my thoughts, but I acknowledge that none of my thoughts are really original.  Which brings us to an off topic subject of DNA influence in our own thought processes.  There are things that other's say that bring us to a thought of our own.  How much of that thought process though is already there, just waiting to be sparked?  I think it's interesting anyway....but that's what I do, I think about stuff...all the time.  

21 minutes ago, zep73 said:

WTF?! Are you my until now unknown twin? I feel the exact same way! I don't need people to think for me. I love doing it myself!

Interesting observation struck me one day while sitting with 'my' thoughts.

Many of them weren't mine at all.  At least, not the ones involving words.

Any thinking done in words, unless we created the words, is thinking someone else's thoughts.

They are learned and borrowed thought objects.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Interesting observation struck me one day while sitting with 'my' thoughts.

Many of them weren't mine at all.  At least, not the ones involving words.

Any thinking done in words, unless we created the words, is thinking someone else's thoughts.

I rarely think in words. I mostly think in abstracts, concepts and images. I often wondered if that is normal...?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I rarely think in words. I mostly think in abstracts, concepts and images. I often wondered if that is normal...?

When I am thinking about how to solve a problem, I think in concepts and images as well...I just 'see' things that will work.

50 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Which brings me back to the dna side of thought process.  We learn words very young and we are always learning new words as we grow.  But these words have been around for generations...entire thought processes for generations...I remember a time when there was a thing known as Common Sense.  It was just an obvious way of thinking about most things.  That seems to have vanished.  I guess what I am wondering is, how much of our thinking is actually our own.  We hear and read and see and all of what we take in is logged away somewhere in  our subconscious.  And then, how we think is either taught or learned by necessity or accident or...is already part of us in our dna.

so yeah...how much of what we think  is our own thinking...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, joc said:

When I am thinking about how to solve a problem, I think in concepts and images as well...I just 'see' things that will work.

That's how I learned science. I visualized it. The big bang, particle physics, chemistry, biology/evolution, astronomy, quantum mechanics (my favorite), psychology and anthropology. They all work in perfect harmony with each other in my mind. But ask me to explain it, it would take me hours, and not come out right.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zep73 said:

That's how I learned science. I visualized it. The big bang, particle physics, chemistry, biology/evolution, astronomy, quantum mechanics (my favorite), psychology and anthropology. They all work in perfect harmony with each other in my mind. But ask me to explain it, it would take me hours, and not come out right.

I'm a tool guy.  That doesn't mean I have an extraordinary number of tools though...I actually don't...but 'tools' are the solution to so many problems.  I can just see that if I had a little thing with a hook on the end I could pull that thingajig and then with a piece of wire I could stick down in there and maneuver that gizmo and then wallah, I got it!  But I don't even have the words to tell someone what I'm thinking I just envision it.  I think that's pretty common though for mechanically inclined individuals.  

This thread reminds me of something the late great Rush Limbaugh said...he was talking about planting seeds...thought seeds in people's minds...and sooner or later that thought is going to materialize in their own thought process and they are going to think it was theirs because they won't even remember where they heard it.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, joc said:

I'm not 'into' Tolle.  But I do share his philosophy to some extent.  He realized one day that 'right now' he was okay.  I didn't really start thinking the way I do because of Tolle but what he did was internalize that realization into an obsession of sorts.

Many, many years ago, I was deep in debt with credit cards, etc...all the turn off-ables were about to be turned off...and I was reading some book about how to deal with the credit card companies.   I think it was at that moment I began thinking Right Now.  They were saying, Right now you are okay.  Yeah you owe some people some money but look  up, the sky is not falling, go outside and look at the street, blood is not flowing down the street...it may tomorrow but right now in this moment everything is okay.

Thank you for your comment about mindfulness based...:)

Thank you for sharing. I think Tolle has some good suggestions but some out there stuff too. No, surprise here but I am more keep things factual and simple supported by studies and Neurology. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TrumanB said:

For a while I want to watch Marx brothers movies. My night shift is starting in two hours, I'll check if those movies are available on youtube. Thanks for reminding me.

Here is a mental Groucho Movie for you to play in your head:

When I was about to graduate out of basic training (i.e. boot camp) in the Navy, part of the ceremony was for the entire company to march past where the Admiral overseeing the graduation was sitting.

So, our Commanding Officer decided we would do something funny...as we marched in front of the Admiral he called out...C o m p a n y  Halt!  ...and we all came to a dead stop. Then, instead of shouting out   F o r w a r d  March...he shouted out   G r o u c h o  M a r x!   ...and we all bent over and began marching doing that little cigar wiggling thing that Groucho was famous for.  It was pretty hilarious!B)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

“Our issues are often within our own way of thinking and looking at the world. The real enemy is our own ignorance, our own attachment to views and our wrong perceptions.” ~Thich Nhat Hahn 

This thread also is starting to remind me of the walls in my apartment when I first moved to Dallas in 1985.  I had stick-it notes everywhere with various phrases and sayings, specifically to keep my positive thought train on track.  

I have never heard of Thich Nhat Hahn before...but I like the quote very much.  Another quote of my own:  "It is not what happens to us in life that is important. It is how we think about the what happens to us in life that is important."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Don't trust anyone even if they are blind and on crutches. My dad, 1971

Don't look where you are going, look where your feet are going!  My dad, 2017 (age 86) [explaining why he walked so slow]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you for sharing. I think Tolle has some good suggestions but some out there stuff too. No, surprise here but I am more keep things factual and simple supported by studies and Neurology. 

That's why you are so smart! :)

• Haha 1

"If I have a body, there will be discomfort, and there will likely be pain... this does not mean I must suffer."

Suffering is a crisis of perception.  It is optional and self generated (as I experience it, not selling anything here, simply sharing).

This realization arose in mind spontaneously one afternoon after years of living with a chronic condition that left me unable to walk, or walking with a cane and in perpetual daily pain.  Many traditional pain killers are ineffective or not very effective for me as I am one of those lucky bizarre few who have a strong morphine resistence, so many pain killers do little more than mess with my reasoning but do not relieve pain, so during this period, I learned to go without.

Turns out, far more disabling than the sensation, was the mindset of suffering that awareness added onto the sensation.  When the realization that suffering is a self generated mentation cracked open for me, life altered and has never been the same since.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While solo camping this thought alighted on my thought one afternoon pond with resonant potency.  It still rings for me even now, decades later.

In the entirety of history, no leaf has ever fallen in the wrong spot. 

No raindrop is incorrect. 

There are no accidents.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 2

I have always found it frustrating to go all the way to a store like Walmart or Home Depot and not be able to find something I wanted that they should have, but don't.

...and because one of my deepest desires is to live stress free...I coined what I call, The Second Axiom of Dan...and it has helped greatly to reduce my own personal stress level...

You cannot buy what they are not selling! 

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, zep73 said:

"Life is what happens to us while we're making other plans"

download.png.402dacedb634c587195d231cb60e699b.png

It's from his song Beautiful Boy

Me did a little diggin', and the original quote is from Reader's Digest Magazine January 1957, by a cartoonist named Allen Saunders.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/05/06/other-plans/

Although the sentiment of the quote can be traced back to the 4th century BC.

• Thanks 1

Answers are easy, when we ask the right questions.   ?      We can’t accept what we don’t know ?        

Edited by lightly

On 5/22/2022 at 8:29 AM, joc said:

Don't look where you are going, look where your feet are going!  My dad, 2017 (age 86) [explaining why he walked so slow]

Good advice, to avoid tripping …but if you want to get where your going..and without walking into something….look up once in awhile?  :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, lightly said:

Good advice, to avoid tripping …but if you want to get where your going..and without walking into something….look up once in awhile?  :wub:

That reminds me of when I was walking to school with my friend and her sister.  It was cold and windy and the little sister kept her head down and walked into a traffic sign.   Very good advise to keep watch on where you are going, as much as where your feet are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1