Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA’s Voyager 1 Spacecraft Mystery: Engineers Investigating Telemetry Data

Grim Reaper 6

engineering team for NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft is trying to solve a mystery: The interstellar explorer, which is currently over 14 billion miles from Earth, appears to be functioning normally, receiving and executing commands from Earth, along with gathering and returning science data. But readouts from the probe’s attitude articulation and control system (AACS) don’t accurately reflect what’s actually happening onboard. Voyager 1 is currently 14.5 billion miles (23.3 billion kilometers) from Earth, and it takes light 20 hours and 33 minutes to travel that distance. That means it takes roughly two days to send a message to Voyager 1 and get a response – a delay the mission team is well accustomed to.

“A mystery like this is sort of par for the course at this stage of the Voyager mission,” said Suzanne Dodd, project manager for Voyager 1 and 2 at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. “The spacecraft are both almost 45 years old, which is far beyond what the mission planners anticipated. We’re also in interstellar space – a high-radiation environment that no spacecraft have flown in before. So there are some big challenges for the engineering team. But I think if there’s a way to solve this issue with the AACS, our team will find it.”   

https://scitechdaily.com/nasas-voyager-1-spacecraft-mystery-engineers-investigating-telemetry-data/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

The fact these probes have survived the perils of space and continue to operate so well, and for so long is astounding. The project engineers should be very proud of them.

• Like 8

One light day away is about 27 billion Km, wonder if it will make that milestone ?  

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 3

I guess I missed the bit about what the anomoly is, but found it a fascinating article.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I guess I missed the bit about what the anomoly is, but found it a fascinating article.  Thanks for sharing.

To catch up just watch Star Trek TOS S2/E3 The Changling. Then watch Star Trek The Motion Picture. Be alert when they mention "Nomad" in the TV episode, and "V'ger" in the movie.

20220521_162844.jpg

20220521_162755.jpg

For those that like Probes Gone Bad. Check out ST Voyager "Friendship One", and "Dreadnaught".

Edited by Davros of Skaro
I just had to put arrows
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Trelane said:

The fact these probes have survived the perils of space and continue to operate so well, and for so long is astounding. The project engineers should be very proud of them.

I agree NASA Engineers should certainly be proud of thier accomplishments without any doubt , those projects have paid for themselves millions of times over with all the data returned to Earth.

But, how much of their survival do you think depends upon luck?

Our Universe is a very very hostile place and many of the scenarios beyond mankind’s control could have ended these missions long ago, for instance being hit by a micro or full size Meteor or Meteorite. When you consider how far they have travelled it’s amazing to me they are still carrying out their mission’.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree NASA Engineers should certainly be proud of thier accomplishments without any doubt , those projects have paid for themselves millions of times over with all the data returned to Earth.

But, how much of their survival do you think depends upon luck?

Our Universe is a very very hostile place and many of the scenarios beyond mankind’s control could have ended these missions long ago, for instance being hit by a micro or full size Meteor or Meteorite. When you consider how far they have travelled it’s amazing to me they are still carrying out their mission’.

NASA should just ask Area 51 for one of those Bob Lazarr top hat space cruisers to go out, and fix it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

NASA should just ask Area 51 for one of those Bob Lazarr top hat space cruisers to go out, and fix it.

They can’t, I have from some serious sources that the Aliens came back and retrieved their technology. You see no one considered doing a Physical examination of Lazarr and it turns out he had an alien butt monkey that inhabited his large intestine. Well, it turns out Bob wasn’t the only one who had one of these Alien butt monkeys many abductees also had Butt Monkeys. Unfortunately the6 all banded together and stole all the extraterrestrial technology!!:(:td::no::D 

48835473-AEA0-4E6E-BC5A-FB389A1898D4.jpeg

E20123AA-0D49-43CF-A34D-9FFF8279BCF3.jpeg

2F54B83F-2FFE-490E-B68F-4F2CA87C0077.jpeg

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

They can’t, I have from some serious sources that the Aliens came back and retrieved their technology. You see no one considered doing a Physical examination of Lazarr and it turns out he had an alien butt monkey that inhabited his large intestine. Well, it turns out Bob wasn’t the only one who had one of these Alien butt monkeys many abductees also had Butt Monkeys. Unfortunately the6 all banded together and stole all the extraterrestrial technology!!:(:td::no::D 

If this is straight from BL's mouth, or butt, then I'll believe it. Sad news if it's true. We wouldn't be on the net now without E.T. tech.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

For those that like Probes Gone Bad. Check out ST Voyager "Friendship One", and "Dreadnaught".

Also the Six Million Dollar Man episodes "Death Probe" and "Return Of Death Probe".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Also the Six Million Dollar Man episodes "Death Probe" and "Return Of Death Probe".

Awesome thanks.

• Haha 1

Wow, at the time it was launched - 5.September 1977 - The Emotions with a song Best Of My Love were at the top of the ''Billboard Hot 100'' list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Have any probes been launched with no certain destination in recent years?   I should just Google it, but I guess I'm as bit lazy today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Have any probes been launched with no certain destination in recent years?   I should just Google it, but I guess I'm as bit lazy today.

Space or political? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Myles said:

No, all launched probes have a specific mission, although missions can be extended with new goals set later.

It would be nice to see a chase probe built just in case something interesting is spotted in the solar system and a fast launch would be useful. 

Like ʻOumuamua.

• Like 4

It's possible that has been " captured " and its under studies? 

I wonder what kind of readings it sends, no one is providing specifics as usual. Mmm

You know, I'm just amazed as to how resilient this craft is. Then I'm equally amazed at how power can be continued to be supplied through presumably RTG technologies.

Like others have indicated, hats-off to the many engineers involved.

• Like 1

I know! Like, my alarm clock did not go off in 3 days, and I said 'ALIENS!'. It's always aliens!

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Haha 1

Of  course saucers do require spoons...