Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two jackdaws and a hedgehog

Abramelin

I experienced something very odd, a couple of days ago.

I was riding my bike on my way to the landscaping company I work for.

Then... I saw 2 jackdaws frantically nudging a hedgehog across the road, pecking at his behind.

The weirdest thing is, that I had watched a video on Youtube a few days before about a crow a doing exactly the same. But crows love roadkill, and were maybe trying to get the hedgehog change into one. Then again, the crow was pecking at the hedgehog's behind when he had already nearly crossed the road, so no chance the hedgehog would turn into roadkill.

I have never seen jackdaws at a roadkill. Only crows and magpies. Jackdaws eat grubs and seeds, and whatever people leave over or throw to them, like bread and peanuts.

It was like the jackdaws wanted to get the hedgehog out of a dangerous situation - me approaching on my bike - for gods know what reason.

The hedgehog digs the earth in search for worms and grubs and insects. Maybe these jackdaws were trying to protect one of their sources of food? The one who is digging it up for them? Or did they just have sympathy for this animal?

• Like 5

I don't know too much about birds, but my guess is: a hedgehog stumbled upon a nest with a young jackdaws accidentally. And these two larger jackdaws(parents?) are trying to drive him as far away from the nest as possible.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I experienced something very odd, a couple of days ago.

I was riding my bike on my way to the landscaping company I work for.

Then... I saw 2 jackdaws frantically nudging a hedgehog across the road, pecking at his behind.

The weirdest thing is, that I had watched a video on Youtube a few days before about a crow a doing exactly the same. But crows love roadkill, and were maybe trying to get the hedgehog change into one. Then again, the crow was pecking at the hedgehog's behind when he had already nearly crossed the road, so no chance the hedgehog would turn into roadkill.

I have never seen jackdaws at a roadkill. Only crows and magpies. Jackdaws eat grubs and seeds, and whatever people leave over or throw to them, like bread and peanuts.

It was like the jackdaws wanted to get the hedgehog out of a dangerous situation - me approaching on my bike - for gods know what reason.

The hedgehog digs the earth in search for worms and grubs and insects. Maybe these jackdaws were trying to protect one of their sources of food? The one who is digging it up for them? Or did they just have sympathy for this animal?

Sounds pretty cool but I am not certain what a Jackdaws is, is it a bird?

Did everything turn out ok, I lean did Acute make it safely across that road?

Hey, I have not been around for 5he last few months hope your and yours are doing well!

5DA1E0B8-ABE6-4A34-A832-3629A34B3CAB.jpeg

A9F9048C-7B56-4F10-90BC-FB7142F1683E.jpeg

7E92989C-27EB-4EA0-9D71-CA9DF912B831.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey, I have not been around for 5he last few months hope your and yours are doing well!

Lol, those are stills resembling close to what I watched. My video had a black crow nudging a hedgehog across a road, not a hooded crow.

And yes, jackdaws are an Eurasian corvid species.

Even people who hate crows in general, because they are morons, love jackdaws.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I don't know too much about birds, but my guess is: a hedgehog stumbled upon a nest with a young jackdaws accidentally. And these two larger jackdaws(parents?) are trying to drive him as far away from the nest as possible.

I don't think jackdaws nest on the ground, do they? :unsure2:

I love jackdaws . . . . they come to my bird table :). They are very affectionate towards each other.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I love jackdaws . . . . they come to my bird table :).

.....but why do they have to make such an awful rasping noise?

They are the Marianne Faithfull of the bird world.

:(

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

I have never seen jackdaws at a roadkill.

"Western jackdaws are opportunistic and highly adaptable omnivores. They feed on beetles, spiders, snails, small rodents, bats, the eggs and chicks of birds, and carrion such as roadkill"

https://animalia.bio/western-jackdaw

• Like 1

I'm not going to guess at your experience, but crows, ravens, jackdaws and those in the Corvid family both eat parasites off hedgehogs and hedgehogs themselves. However, I don't put it past these very smart birds to be good Samaritans, as well. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, jules99 said:

"Western jackdaws are opportunistic and highly adaptable omnivores. They feed on beetles, spiders, snails, small rodents, bats, the eggs and chicks of birds, and carrion such as roadkill"

https://animalia.bio/western-jackdaw

Maybe those living here have more civilized tablemanners.

I work outside, and I have never seen a jackdaw at a roadkill.

Some websites assume, because a jackdaw is a kind of crow, that it too eats from roadkill.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I'm not going to guess at your experience, but crows, ravens, jackdaws and those in the Corvid family both eat parasites off hedgehogs and hedgehogs themselves. However, I don't put it past these very smart birds to be good Samaritans, as well. 

I've thought of that too (parasites), but as soon as the hedgehog went up the sidewalk, they left it alone.

On Youtube you can find a story told by an old couple about a crow raising a kitten. They became best mates and loved to play with eachother. The kitten had been thrown over the couple's fence, and the crow sort of played surrogate mother for the kitten by feeding it.

There's a story about a puppy that got stuck in a hollow tree. It was lost for a couple of days, and when people found it, they noticed a crow was feeding it.

Orca's sometimes keep whale calves as pets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, acute said:

You sure you don't mean crows instead? Jackdaws are a kind of crow, but they sound different, not as 'unkind' as regular crows.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't think jackdaws nest on the ground, do they? :unsure2:

I love jackdaws . . . . they come to my bird table :). They are very affectionate towards each other.

No, they nest high up in tree hollows, but they prefer roofs. Here in the Netherlands that is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, acute said:

They have quite a wide repertoire of sounds. My guess is they only make the rasping sound because they know it annoys you :P! They get their amusement where they can.

15 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Hedgehogs aren't known as excellent climbers, lol.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, acute said:

Let's see if this works:

https://xeno-canto.org/sounds/uploaded/BPSDQEOJWG/KajalocklateKalledalen2009-03-21.mp3

Well, it doesn't get imbedded.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Acute survived the a$$ pecking, lol.

Yep, a jackdaw is a bird, a corvid, I think the smallest of all the true crows:

dscf6429.jpg.f015f8b8615908183822cd2dc028155e.jpg

And I and mine < looking around, seeing no one > are fine.

You'vr certainly come back with a vengeance, lol.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Acute survived the a$$ pecking, lol.

Yep, a jackdaw is a bird, a corvid, I think the smallest of all the true crows:

dscf6429.jpg.f015f8b8615908183822cd2dc028155e.jpg

And I and mine < looking around, seeing no one > are fine.

You'vr certainly come back with a vengeance, lol.

Well I am spending my time as I can, glad to hear your doing well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I am spending my time as I can, glad to hear your doing well.

Now, please check if what you want to post concerning new discoveries hasn't already been posted before.

It starts to become hilarious, sorry.

But I also feel kind of sorry for you: you think you found something new and great, and are eager to post it. I know the feeling, believe me.

Please, please, check if the topic hasn't been started before.

But those really new topics you started: :tu:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Now, please check if what you want to post concerning new discoveries hasn't already been posted before.

It starts to become hilarious, sorry.

But I also feel kind of sorry for you: you think you found something new and great, and are eager to post it. I know the feeling, believe me.

Please, please, check if the topic hasn't been started before.

But those really new topics you started: :tu:

Thanks for the advice, and I do the best I can. I use the forum search feature, and it works well but still nothing is perfect. Over the last  week I have started a number of  new threads and two were previously posted. It seems that depending upon the organization who makes the report that titles can be very different and that’s what happened in both cases.

Again thanks for your advise, I wish this mistake would never happens but 8 lose no sleep when it occurs.

• Like 1