Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cognitive dissonance of mainstream christianity

Desertrat56

39 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

it would tell me directly.    

When you were a kid did you ever totally ignore and not do what your mom or dad told you directly to do?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

My aunt has started watching Highway to Heaven, the same 3 episode - I am not sure why.    I watched one episode with her.   The story was fine, except for the god stuff thrown in, like the mother of a boy dying of cancer "I love my son so much, why is God taking him away from me?"   the "angle" response was "Maybe God loves him more."   What!???   So God doesn't give a damn about the mother loosing her child and the pain that causes, because he wants the boy to be with him?   And I am not so judgemental about any belief in a deity, however you can't say that is a loving god, someone made that up without even thinking about how horrible it makes that god seem.  We are supposed to be unquestioning slaves to some imaginary being and anyone can say "God wants you to..." and you are supposed to believe them unquestioningly.  But my question is "Why would you know what your god wants me to do?"  If it really were a god, it would tell me directly.    

Well that's a TV show, not a religion, although some peoples beliefs are that simplistic.  IMO opinion God does not micro-manage like that and since everyone dies no one death, in the big picture, is much different that another, assuming it all leads to some other type of existence.

25 minutes ago, zep73 said:

The dinosaurs wants to know what the heck they did that was so wrong!?

Maybe god wanted them to be in "heaven" with "him".

• Haha 9

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well that's a TV show, not a religion, although some peoples beliefs are that simplistic.  IMO opinion God does not micro-manage like that and since everyone dies no one death, in the big picture, is much different that another, assuming it all leads to some other type of existence.

My point is that people decide what "god" wants or doesn't want.    Of course there is no real micro-management from a diety, if there were we would not even be allowed to have this discussion.   No one would even think anything that the deity disliked.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, zep73 said:

The dinosaurs wants to know what the heck they did that was so wrong!?

A scraped project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think people like the idea of a "vending machine" god. Put in a prayer and get a prize. Also an easy explanation for unknowns. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

A scraped project.

Scaffolding.

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My aunt has started watching Highway to Heaven, the same 3 episode - I am not sure why.    I watched one episode with her.   The story was fine, except for the god stuff thrown in, like the mother of a boy dying of cancer "I love my son so much, why is God taking him away from me?"   the "angle" response was "Maybe God loves him more."   What!???   So God doesn't give a damn about the mother loosing her child and the pain that causes, because he wants the boy to be with him?   And I am not so judgemental about any belief in a deity, however you can't say that is a loving god, someone made that up without even thinking about how horrible it makes that god seem.  We are supposed to be unquestioning slaves to some imaginary being and anyone can say "God wants you to..." and you are supposed to believe them unquestioningly.  But my question is "Why would you know what your god wants me to do?"  If it really were a god, it would tell me directly.    

But would it really? Considering that there would be a greater divide between said deity and you than between you and a single-called organism why would (or even could) you matter to such a deity? 

cormac

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

But would it really? Considering that there would be a greater divide between said deity and you than between you and a single-called organism why would (or even could) you matter to such a deity? 

cormac

I agree with that, but the story is that "God loves us and answers our prayers", but only sometimes based on it's whims.   So are some people not praying correctly?   Or like someone else said, some are special to the deity, and others not.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with that, but the story is that "God loves us and answers our prayers", but only sometimes based on it's whims.   So are some people not praying correctly?   Or like someone else said, some are special to the deity, and others not.   

Personally I see “the Lord works in mysterious ways” as an excuse NOT to have an answer while pretending to. But yeah, I don’t agree with the above either. 

cormac

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

Personally I see “the Lord works in mysterious ways” as an excuse NOT to have an answer while pretending to. But yeah, I don’t agree with the above either. 

cormac

For me "God works in mysterious ways" is an excuse to deflect questioning what anyone who says that has said about god previously.    It makes no sense. Yes, if there is a god it is mysterious in all ways as there is no evidence of it's exsitence, only stories that don't agree between groups, or even individuals.

• Like 5

Anytime someone explains to you what god is thinking, or why something happened because god intended it, or didn't happen as god intended for it to not occur. 

Notice how it's always a human talking?  It's always a human talking; a human telling a story. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

And I am not so judgemental about any belief in a deity, however you can't say that is a loving god, someone made that up without even thinking about how horrible it makes that god seem.  We are supposed to be unquestioning slaves to some imaginary being and anyone can say "God wants you to..." and you are supposed to believe them unquestioningly.  But my question is "Why would you know what your god wants me to do?"  If it really were a god, it would tell me directly.    

Well when you create your own universe through your own utterences, then you can make your own rules.

Edited by Davros of Skaro
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Anytime someone explains to you what god is thinking, or why something happened because god intended it, or didn't happen as god intended for it to not occur. 

Notice how it's always a human talking?  It's always a human talking; a human telling a story. 

What you need is some Divine Spirit Juice to understand, but your pride is a dam preventing the flow.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Well when you create your own universe through your own utterences, then you can make your own rules.

Right and no one else has to follow those rules, as they have created their own universe with their own rules.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

What you need is some Divine Spirit Juice to understand, but your pride is a dam preventing the flow.

polite decline... i no longer suffer from human codified damnation, i rather enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

When you were a kid did you ever totally ignore and not do what your mom or dad told you directly to do?

OY!

ZomboMeme 23052022140720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right and no one else has to follow those rules, as they have created their own universe with their own rules.    

Just follow the teachings of Mormonism this way you can get your own planet of worshippers, and make your own rules.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

polite decline... i no longer suffer from human codified damnation, i rather enjoy it.

Well when maggots devour your flesh, and it feels like the fire of severe skin disease don't come crying to me.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Just follow the teachings of Mormonism this way you can get your own planet of worshippers, and make your own rules.

Nope, that is not what they are taught.   Church members imagine exaltation less through images of what they will get and more through the relationships they have now and how those relationships might be purified and elevated.  Maybe you just need to do some actual research rather than spread pop-media rumors.

3 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Well when maggots devour your flesh, and it feels like the fire of severe skin disease don't come crying to me.

You really are not enjoying this topic much are you?   

• Haha 2